• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all 7 picks in...as much as you can really grade a draft now...did they cover their needs with quality talent...in that regard, my grade is B-.

1.30...TJ Watt, OLB...may never be a consistent dbl digit sack guy, but at 30 he was certainly the best edge guy on the board with no baggage, former TE, has athleticism and pedigree, not much experience at the position...this season...should give them 20-25 snaps a game to spell Harrison...3-5 sacks would be acceptable...take the role FT in '18 and he chips fall where they may.

2.30.62...Juju Smith-Schuster, WR...wasn't my choice at this spot, big body possession WR, not slow, but not a blazer, willing to work inside the hash marks...Aside from Green the Steelers don't have a big body WR/TE with much RAC ability inside...We all know Green is one more concussion away from retirement...fits a need, but they left a lot of guys on the board I would have preferred there.

3.30.94...Cameron Sutton, CB...big need, best on the board imo. Gay is no longer starting material imo...I think he has the potential to be the starting slot CB at some point during the season.

3.41.105...James Conner, RB...Bell is arguably the best RB in the league, but he rarely plays 16 games. DWill was getting older and more injury prone, this kid represent a solid back up with the ability to start in a pinch. Big rangy player with some wiggle, some power much like Bell he can catch it too. Another cancer survivor living out his dream in the NFL, local kid.

4.29.135...Joshua Dobbs, QB...most of Hoopster PIT fans did not think QB was a need this yr...Dual threat QB, probably slides into the QB3 spot and challenges Landry for QB2 in '18...I like the kid, smart, should pick up the NFL OFC okay, but don't see him as a starter could have gotten him a round or two later.

5.30.173...Brian Allen, CB/S...Tall, rangy guy with sub 4.5 speed...I have to see him on the field, but he makes up for the pick I would have preferred to see at 62. I can see him in sub pkg on 3rd down and possible the long term FS.

6.30.213...Colin Holba, LS...seems like they could have gotten him as a UDFA

7.30.248...Keion Adams, OLB...I thought they would have dbl down on OLB much earlier, but this kid has a chance to make the team imo...Moats could be in trouble.

B- because they did not get a TE and imo took Dobbs a round earlier than needed. Jesse James is solid, but not a game breaker.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 - TJ Watt... it's a reach, but one that makes sense. The potential is there for a big payoff. The more I look at this one the more I like it.

62 - JuJu Smith-Schuster... He was the 9th WR on my board. The Steelers did not consult me before making the pick, however. And thus they stumbled. Badly. I'm not saying Limas can't be good. He can be. He's young. In 2-3 years he could be a very good role player. I want more from a second round pick. There were better options at WR available here and ROUNDS later.

94 - Cameron Sutton... I like this pick for what it is. He's a man-coverage slot guy which we need. I don't see any kind of upside for him but he will be useful.

105 - James Conner... I hate to down such an inspirational and awesome young man. I really wish the Steelers would have taken him in the fourth or fifth round so I could be happier for him. I don't see a dynamic or creative runner in Conner. He'll lower his head and slowly move the ball in a forward direction. IMHO if we had to take a RB here(we didn't) there were better options.

135 - Joshua Dobbs... I don't believe he is any way shape or form Ben's replacement down the line. He's a back up quarterback. Without Ben we are a .500 team. Plug Dobbs in there and I think we'll be a .500 team. Net gain zero. If Ben goes down we're boned with or without Dobbs. Give me a quality addition in another area and sign a QB off the damned street if you don't like Jones. Wasted pick. Just like the Landry Jones pick years ago.

173 - Brian Allen... I like the pick. It is what it is. This late he might develop in a few years.

213 - Colin Holba... A long snapper. I shit you not. The Patriots just choked on their Sam Adams. This changes EVERYTHING.

248 - Keion Adams... Could develop into a backup OLB for us. He will never be a factor as a pass rusher though. This late I don't care.

Overall grade: This is an F with optimism for Watt pushing it up barely into the D range. Call it a D-. Next year they should have that orangutan at the Indianapolis zoo on NFL network make the picks. Going though the other 31 drafts this is by far my least favorite. Lets hope I'm wrong boys.

Interesting take...I would have gone differently on several picks, but aside from not taking a TE and they covered their holes.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard some ramblings from other fans thinking that Greg Warren has told the coaches & FO that he intends to retire after this season... If that were true, and considering they had the balls to draft a LS yesterday, does that mean they intend to carry 2 LS's this season? lol I really hope not. Colbert said in his presser with Tomlin that they wanted to provide competition. But if Greg maintains the spot, do you think they would risk letting Holba drop to the PS? I don't think they would since they used a 6th Rd pick. That would make them look like clowns if that happened. But they would also look like clowns if they carried 2 long snappers on the 53... :L

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler:

Two positions the Steelers neglected in the draft are tight end and inside linebacker. GM Kevin Colbert addressed both topics: *Steelers would have added an ILB if it made sense but "we're very confident in Vince (Williams)," Colbert said. He'll be the favorite to start. The Steelers also have Tyler Matakevich, L.J. Fort and Steven Johnson for depth. *Colbert acknowledged the Steelers would have drafted a tight end in the fifth round "if there was one available." Apparently the right player wasn't.

Big vote of confidence for V-Will.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love some of the guys as players, such as juju and conner, but i think our draft stunk, we passed over so many needs, and what seemed like at least better players, i mean i know the front office takes what they view as BPA, and what they think fits........ but dear god we waited to address needs. I think our draft sucked

that being said im no fan of jerseys, i think they are dumb and said id never buy one, i am most likely gonna buy a james conner jersey

Most of us will agree, but probably not be as outspoken about it stinking. The hardest part for us fans to swallow is how the most glaring needs weren't really addressed as high as they should have been. Aside from the 1st Rd pick of course. 3 out of the first 5 pick were spent on offensive skill positions for a unit that has ranked near the top of the league every year for the last 2-3 years. The offense hasn't been the problem, yet they invested a lot of their higher picks on it. I think Conner & Dobbs were both drafted a round too early. Just for comparison to equal talents, Wayne Gallman was selected @140, that's 5 picks AFTER the Steelers' 4th Rd pick, and Peterman & Kaaya were drafted in the 5th & 6th Rds.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler:

Big vote of confidence for V-Will.

Yep.

I wasn't thinking they were looking to replace VW this season, but I thought they would try to improve 3rd down pass defense by taking him off the field...I think they are going to give him a shot at being a 3 dwn LB, but it won't last.

On Dobbs, I've been thinking for a while that a dual threat guy would be a good change for QB2...The big issue I have with this draft pick is the spot...135 was just much earlier than it needed to be imo...if he can't beat out Landry next yr...I was wrong about him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

I wasn't thinking they were looking to replace VW this season, but I thought they would try to improve 3rd down pass defense by taking him off the field...I think they are going to give him a shot at being a 3 dwn LB, but it won't last.

On Dobbs, I've been thinking for a while that a dual threat guy would be a good change for QB2...The big issue I have with this draft pick is the spot...135 was just much earlier than it needed to be imo...if he can't beat out Landry next yr...I was wrong about him.
Well after them trying hard to bring in Hightower that made me think they would value an ILB higher in the draft. I doubt they would have passed on the likes of Jerrad Davis or Zach Cunningham if they had fallen to them in the 2nd. As mentioned earlier, Foster was more of a question mark in the 1st given the baggage.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us will agree, but probably not be as outspoken about it stinking. The hardest part for us fans to swallow is how the most glaring needs weren't really addressed as high as they should have been. Aside from the 1st Rd pick of course. 3 out of the first 5 pick were spent on offensive skill positions for a unit that has ranked near the top of the league every year for the last 2-3 years. The offense hasn't been the problem, yet they invested a lot of their higher picks on it. I think Conner & Dobbs were both drafted a round too early. Just for comparison to equal talents, Wayne Gallman was selected @140, that's 5 picks AFTER the Steelers' 4th Rd pick, and Peterman & Kaaya were drafted in the 5th & 6th Rds.

Yeah, Bridge Burner thought it stunk as well, which is fair, it's their honest opinion.

I don't share that level of dislike, but we'll see...like I said a while back...if Watt and Sutton (I'll add Juju to the mix) make big contributions I think most of us will forget how bad we thought it was...

On the flip if Bowser or Tim Williams turns out to be a 6-8 sack guys every year we may dread even looking back on this draft.

Gotta wait and see now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Bridge Burner thought it stunk as well, which is fair, it's their honest opinion.

I don't share that level of dislike, but we'll see...like I said a while back...if Watt and Sutton (I'll add Juju to the mix) make big contributions I think most of us will forget how bad we thought it was...

On the flip if Bowser or Tim Williams turns out to be a 6-8 sack guys every year we may dread even looking back on this draft.

Gotta wait and see now.
I go back & forth on it. Definitely will have to wait & see how it plays out. If Watt, Smith-Schuster, Sutton & Conner can contribute this year & become eventual starters then this draft was a homerun. Won't know for at least 2-3 years though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after them trying hard to bring in Hightower that made me think they would value an ILB higher in the draft. I doubt they would have passed on the likes of Jerrad Davis or Zach Cunningham if they had fallen to them in the 2nd. As mentioned earlier, Foster was more of a question mark in the 1st given the baggage.

Hightower...I think they viewed him as a legit 3 dwn LB which I'm not so sure about, but water under the bridge now.

Davis/Cunningham...I agree...the thing with Colbert is he just doesn't make any aggressive moves to target players...they always feel as if the player needs to fall to them or they have a plan B...that's not terrible strategy, but when you don't have very many needs, 8 picks is a luxury which is why they spent one on a LS that probably could have been signed as a UDFA.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh it stinks alright, there's no doubt about it. cannot believe we took a fucking long-snapper ANYWHERE in this draft, let alone rd 6. 2-3 years from now we might have 2 guys still with the franchise, from this draft, and what's sad is that long-snapper might very well be one of them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back & forth on it. Definitely will have to wait & see how it plays out. If Watt, Smith-Schuster, Sutton & Conner can contribute this year & become eventual starters then this draft was a homerun. Won't know for at least 2-3 years though.

Unless he totally bombs out...Watt will be the starter in '18. Golson imo has to simply ball out or the slot job will be Sutton's next yr if not this season. Another reason Juju makes more sense to me now...Bryant's clock never stopped, '16 counted as his 3rd season I think. He's entering his 4th season and contract yr....one would hope he stays clean and has a great yr. If he does, they will take the 5th option...if he doesn't stay clean, then it won't matter anyway, he'll be out of the league.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he totally bombs out...Watt will be the starter in '18. Golson imo has to simply ball out or the slot job will be Sutton's next yr if not this season. Another reason Juju makes more sense to me now...Bryant's clock never stopped, '16 counted as his 3rd season I think. He's entering his 4th season and contract yr....one would hope he stays clean and has a great yr. If he does, they will take the 5th option...if he doesn't stay clean, then it won't matter anyway, he'll be out of the league.
All good points. They have all the insurance they need now for just about every position. The jury is still out on the quality though.

Golson... His resurgence would be a huge bonus. Even if its only for a year or 2 before his injuries plague him again, they still have the insurance with Sutton & Sensabaugh. Should be interesting to see how the CB depth chart shakes out this offseason. My guess:
1. Burns
2. Cockrell
3. Golson
4. Sutton
5. Sensabaugh

Gay could steal that 5th spot due to his vet leadership role.

WR... Yea I was aware of the contract year for Bryant. Sucks, but it is what it is. Smith-Schuster has a lot to prove. Even after Roger's exploits last season, he was still only a UDFA. Both Ayers & Smith-Schuster have a great shot at challenging his slot role. The more I think about that pick the more it makes sense. Still wish they would have waited a round at the very least after seeing how all the DB talent was flying off the board.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh it stinks alright, there's no doubt about it. cannot believe we took a fucking long-snapper ANYWHERE in this draft, let alone rd 6. 2-3 years from now we might have 2 guys still with the franchise, from this draft, and what's sad is that long-snapper might very well be one of them.
I stand corrected... MOST OF the hooplans will say it stinks... There, ya happy now ya filthy animals?

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected... MOST OF the hooplans will say it stinks... There, ya happy now ya filthy animals?

Hahahahaha
483ef0911f5e27073a015b45aee7a288b9c8d3bfa104f8bfe6625572f97cfa52.jpg
and that's all I will say on it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points. They have all the insurance they need now for just about every position. The jury is still out on the quality though.

Golson... His resurgence would be a huge bonus. Even if its only for a year or 2 before his injuries plague him again, they still have the insurance with Sutton & Sensabaugh. Should be interesting to see how the CB depth chart shakes out this offseason. My guess:
1. Burns
2. Cockrell
3. Golson
4. Sutton
5. Sensabaugh

Gay could steal that 5th spot due to his vet leadership role.

WR... Yea I was aware of the contract year for Bryant. Sucks, but it is what it is. Smith-Schuster has a lot to prove. Even after Roger's exploits last season, he was still only a UDFA. Both Ayers & Smith-Schuster have a great shot at challenging his slot role. The more I think about that pick the more it makes sense. Still wish they would have waited a round at the very least after seeing how all the DB talent was flying off the board.

CBs...I think Gay makes it unless he's not in shape, etc...MT is not going into the season with all young CB and Sens who obviously is new to the squad...he's going to want an old head around those young boys. If they only keep 5 Golson could be in trouble if the least little thing is ailing him.

WRs...for some reason I thought '16 didn't count towards his rookie contract, but it does.

Quality...yeah, wait and see, that was always going to be the case even with names we would have been happier with.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3