• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Conner, but like the JuJu pick, there were 3-5 players at that position that would have been better picks. Perine does everything Conner does except he does everything better. A lot better.

And they just took Dobbs. Such a deep draft and they've completely dropped the ball. They took the loss to the Patriots and said "lets stay losers... hell, lets get even worse!"

Go Pens.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day One Grade - B
Day Two Grade - F
Day Three Grade - F (nothing they do can save it at this point).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Conner, but like the JuJu pick, there were 3-5 players at that position that would have been better picks. Perine does everything Conner does except he does everything better. A lot better.

And they just took Dobbs. Such a deep draft and they've completely dropped the ball. They took the loss to the Patriots and said "lets stay losers... hell, lets get even worse!"

Go Pens.
I wouldn't say Perine is far better than Conner. Tape shows the same physical runner. Only differences that I see is Perine is strong AF. He's a tad slower than Conner though, only by combine numbers, but it doesn't really show on film. I'd say its nitpicking when you try to say which player is better between the 2. This feels very reminiscent of the Bell pick when Eddie Lacy was available... Trust the process!

Dobbs... Jury is out on ALL the QBs in the draft. So taking a stab in the 4th Rd for the guy they wanted, versus praying for him to fall in the 5th, IMO was the right call. Dobbs is the most cerebral QB in this draft. He needs work on mechanics, but hell every prospect does. I like the Dobbs pick more than the Smith-Schuster pick. They can still find late round value at other positions of need. They need to grab an ILB. I know they have their eyes on Javancy Jones, but he could probably be had as a UDFA.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Perine is far better than Conner. Tape shows the same physical runner. Only differences that I see is Perine is strong AF. He's a tad slower than Conner though, only by combine numbers, but it doesn't really show on film. I'd say its nitpicking when you try to say which player is better between the 2. This feels very reminiscent of the Bell pick when Eddie Lacy was available... Trust the process!

Dobbs... Jury is out on ALL the QBs in the draft. So taking a stab in the 4th Rd for the guy they wanted, versus praying for him to fall in the 5th, IMO was the right call. Dobbs is the most cerebral QB in this draft. He needs work on mechanics, but hell every prospect does. I like the Dobbs pick more than the Smith-Schuster pick. They can still find late round value at other positions of need. They need to grab an ILB. I know they have their eyes on Javancy Jones, but he could probably be had as a UDFA.
We will have to agree to disagree on Conner/Perine. I really like Conner as a man and will root for him but I don't think they are in the same class as far as runners go. Conner just doesn't have the wiggle or vision to go with the size like Perine does. I thought Bell was CLEARLY the superior prospect to Lacy and I didn't think it was close. I didn't envision what he would become though. I liked him for different reasons. He took his game to a whole nother level that nobody saw coming. Even the Steelers.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.135 - Joshua Dobbs, QB Tennessee
6'3" 216

Combine Grade: 5.39
40 time: 4.64s (2nd)
Vert Jump: 33" (t-3rd)
Broad Jump: 122" (3rd)
3-cone drill: 6.75s (1st)
20 yd shuttle: 4.31s (t-6th)

My analysis: After inspecting his combine numbers, he did better than all of the top ranked prospects in almost every drill. Better than Watson, Mahommes, Trubisky & Kizer. Only drill 1 of those guys succeeded him was Mahommes had a better shuttle time. Throw in the fact that he is a frickin aerospace engineering major, the value is pretty frickin solid for a 4th Rd pick. I know there are concerns over his accuracy, but I think that has a lot to do with his style of play. He threw a lot on the move, across his body and such. Those are difficult throws for anyone. He has one of the quickest releases of this draft pool. Something scouts covet at the NFL level. I can see Dobbs transitioning to the NFL faster than Landry Jones did. Dobbs is coming into a perfect situation. A kid with the smarts such as his can instantly learn an immense amount while playing under Roethlisberger. It will take time, but the potential is really good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to agree to disagree on Conner/Perine. I really like Conner as a man and will root for him but I don't think they are in the same class as far as runners go. Conner just doesn't have the wiggle or vision to go with the size like Perine does. I thought Bell was CLEARLY the superior prospect to Lacy and I didn't think it was close. I didn't envision what he would become though. I liked him for different reasons. He took his game to a whole nother level that nobody saw coming. Even the Steelers.
Fair enough. I don't follow CFB as closely so I judge based solely on game tape, combine numbers, analyst write-ups, etc. I don't get caught up in highlight films because they are just that, highlights. I prefer to see the lows more than the highs. Only then can you really judge. From the games & film that I've watched for Conner, I haven't seen a whole lot that I don't like. Can't say that I've seen much film on Perine though.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I don't follow CFB as closely so I judge based solely on game tape, combine numbers, analyst write-ups, etc. I don't get caught up in highlight films because they are just that, highlights. I prefer to see the lows more than the highs. Only then can you really judge. From the games & film that I've watched for Conner, I haven't seen a whole lot that I don't like. Can't say that I've seen much film on Perine though.
I hardly watch any college football haha. I'm all about watching players, the games not so much. There are some good resources for game tape. Draft Breakdown is really good. And there are some really good metrics based in the fantasy football end of things that offer insight into how players will adjust. I have to admit my negative impression of JuJu is largely rooted in The Reception Perception Project by Matt Harmon which has some tools NFL teams would be wise to look into if they haven't already. At least the Steelers don't anyway or they wouldn't have drafted Limas Smith-Schuster.

I'm unhappy. I don't believe that they did well in addressing needs when it's all said and done. That being said I'm glad to see them not reach for those positions. I'm just literally shocked that they seem to reach in alternative positions. I think it's safe to say that they could be better at this than me though haha. We'll see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5.173 - Brain Allen, DB Utah
6'3" 215

Combine grade: 5.13
40 time: 4.48s
Bench: 15
Vert Jump: 34.5"
Broad Jump: 117"
3-cone drill: 6.64s
20 yd shuttle: 4.34s

My analysis: Wow, for this kid to be that fast at that size... Pretty awesome. Decent athleticism. Has experience at safety, but played primarily at CB. Good bump-n-run CB that has the ability to play at the line with his speed. Good use of hands to disrupt a receiver. Not the most fluid in his hips with the turnarounds, but can change direction as quickly as the best of them. And has tremendous length which helps him recover. Very raw prospect, but what can you expect at this point. Bummed that both my favorite mid-to-late rd CBs were gone, S. Griffin & H. Wilson. But at least they double-dipped! And to get a position-versatile guy is a big plus. That allows them to take the stab at positions like WR & QB that weren't necessarily needs. I'll take it!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hardly watch any college football haha. I'm all about watching players, the games not so much. There are some good resources for game tape. Draft Breakdown is really good. And there are some really good metrics based in the fantasy football end of things that offer insight into how players will adjust. I have to admit my negative impression of JuJu is largely rooted in The Reception Perception Project by Matt Harmon which has some tools NFL teams would be wise to look into if they haven't already. At least the Steelers don't anyway or they wouldn't have drafted Limas Smith-Schuster.

I'm unhappy. I don't believe that they did well in addressing needs when it's all said and done. That being said I'm glad to see them not reach for those positions. I'm just literally shocked that they seem to reach in alternative positions. I think it's safe to say that they could be better at this than me though haha. We'll see.
Limas Smith-Schuster!? That's a low blow man! lol.

Warning, optimistic standpoint comin atcha!

Well they already have a championship roster, and all they have done is add to it. They only lost 1 piece that was instrumental last season, D-Will. So arguably they have nothing to lose with this draft. They addressed all of the positions that were a necessity by depth standards. Gettin Dupree back for a full season will be the biggest boost to the pass rush. Then add in Heyward is back to health on the D-line. Harrison's spot & the secondary's slot position were the main concerns. Watt & Sutton have addressed that. On the offensive side of the ball they get a huge boost with Marty B. And hopefully they can get more meaningful contributions from Green. Add in Rogers & Smith-Schuster in the slot and they have an absurd amount of talent.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dobbs...Ehh like most of the QB's in the draft. I guess the good qualities he is smart and coachable so he might become something more. Not accurate of a thrower concerns me so if it means and upgrade for a backup vs Jones I am fine. I doubt he is any future franchise qb.

Allen - in the 5th round is probably my favorite pick since Watt in this draft. Size/speed and maybe he can play safety also. He is a 5th rounder so not a starter anytime soon but with that size and speed maybe he can fill in some major holes in the secondary when called upon.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now that is pretty funny.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I was hoping Bucky Hodges would continue to fall... I bet the Steelers had eyes on him. Vikes got a good player there.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck? Did the Steelers just select a long snapper????? Can't wait to hear what @Bridgeburner has to say about that lol :pop2:

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6.213 - Colin Holba, LS Louisville
6'4" 248

Combine grade: 4.98
40 time: 5.19s
Vert jump: 28"
Broad jump: 115"

My analysis - what...the...fuck? Is Colbert trolling us? Did North Korea hack our draft? Even if Greg Warren was getting long in the tooth he's still under contract? I guess this will boot him out the door. Thanks for your 12 years of excellent & reliable service Greg, now don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Seriously... Why did they resign Greg to a 1-yr contract in February to boot his ass out in April?

Colbert... You've lost yourself with this one

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even the optimist inside me can agree with that pick... smh. They could have signed an equally reliable LS off the street in 1-2 days if it was that important. I don't see how anyone could argue that. There's probably hundreds of LS FA's out there to choose from, and a handful of them coming out of college. What an absolute waste of a draft pick.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 - TJ Watt... it's a reach, but one that makes sense. The potential is there for a big payoff. The more I look at this one the more I like it.

62 - JuJu Smith-Schuster... He was the 9th WR on my board. The Steelers did not consult me before making the pick, however. And thus they stumbled. Badly. I'm not saying Limas can't be good. He can be. He's young. In 2-3 years he could be a very good role player. I want more from a second round pick. There were better options at WR available here and ROUNDS later.

94 - Cameron Sutton... I like this pick for what it is. He's a man-coverage slot guy which we need. I don't see any kind of upside for him but he will be useful.

105 - James Conner... I hate to down such an inspirational and awesome young man. I really wish the Steelers would have taken him in the fourth or fifth round so I could be happier for him. I don't see a dynamic or creative runner in Conner. He'll lower his head and slowly move the ball in a forward direction. IMHO if we had to take a RB here(we didn't) there were better options.

135 - Joshua Dobbs... I don't believe he is any way shape or form Ben's replacement down the line. He's a back up quarterback. Without Ben we are a .500 team. Plug Dobbs in there and I think we'll be a .500 team. Net gain zero. If Ben goes down we're boned with or without Dobbs. Give me a quality addition in another area and sign a QB off the damned street if you don't like Jones. Wasted pick. Just like the Landry Jones pick years ago.

173 - Brian Allen... I like the pick. It is what it is. This late he might develop in a few years.

213 - Colin Holba... A long snapper. I shit you not. The Patriots just choked on their Sam Adams. This changes EVERYTHING.

248 - Keion Adams... Could develop into a backup OLB for us. He will never be a factor as a pass rusher though. This late I don't care.

Overall grade: This is an F with optimism for Watt pushing it up barely into the D range. Call it a D-. Next year they should have that orangutan at the Indianapolis zoo on NFL network make the picks. Going though the other 31 drafts this is by far my least favorite. Lets hope I'm wrong boys.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7.248 - Keion Adams, OLB Western Michigan
6'2" 245

Pro Day Results
40-time: 4.68s
Bench: 27reps
Vert Jump: 36"
Broad Jump: 124"
20yd shuttle: 4.38s
3-cone: 7.36s

My analysis: Played DE in college, but projects as a OLB. Great strength & burst off the edge. A natural bender that wins with his athleticism. In 2016 he had 17.5 TFL's & 7.5 sacks in the MAC (earned 2nd team all-MAC). Decent project type. Not sure he'll be able to beat out Moats or Chick for a roster spot. Most likely will end up on the PS. Good double dip at a position of need. They could have drafted Ejuan Price from Pitt if they had taken him over the LS in the previous round.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.30 - T.J. Watt, OLB Wisconsin
2.62 - John "JuJu" Smith-Schuster, WR USC
3.95 - Cameron Sutton, CB Tennessee
3.105 - James Conner, RB Pittsburgh
4.135 - Joshua Dobbs, QB Tennessee
5.173 - Brain Allen, DB Utah
6.213 - Colin Holba, LS Louisville
7.248 - Keion Adams, OLB Western Michigan

Overall: Overall I can't say that I'm overly enthused or upset about this draft. They added some decent pieces and some questionable ones. I think what upsets me the most was how they drafted. After the 1st Rd they left a lot of talent on the board in a very deep draft. The WR pick in the 2nd Rd is what upset me the most, aside from the LS in the 6th. Just having a hard time justifying it when their was some starter worthy talent available. They could have landed a WR in the 3rd Rd that would have had the same amount of upside. I liked the combo of Sutton & Conner in the 3rd. Both were more of a need, and hopefully they can get some meaningful returns from both at some point this season. Sutton should be able to battle with Gay, Golson & Sensabaugh for slot duties. Dobbs in the 4th is a good pick. Although they could have waited another Rd as both Peterman & Kaaya went in the 5th. Who knows if another team had eyes on him though. Doubt he'll be a franchise starter by any means, but he should be able to become a quality backup for a long time. He's smart enough to develop into something better, but it will take time. Brian Allen will struggle to make the team, but I like his athleticism & size. Note sure if he will be a CB or S yet. But being position flexible will help his case. The LS choice was moronic no matter how you cut it. Unless a story about Greg Warren falling ill or getting injured surfaces, that draft pick will baffle us for years. Don't know much about Keion Adams yet, but he looks like a great late-round project.

Grade: As I stated before, they have a championship roster already. So they could afford to gamble in this draft. Still not very happy with how it played out, but it will have to do. They will be getting some valuable pieces back in the form of healthy vets. So from that viewpoint they are already better than they were in the AFCCG. Aside from Watt, I'm not sure they will see immediate returns from this draft. This may be one of those chess drafts that builds for the future. A lot of wildcards right now. I'd like to withhold grading it, but if I had to right now I'd say C+, with a chance to be something greater.