• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 AL CENTRAL DISCUSSION

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO...K-Rod will not last the season as the team's closer. I don't know if Jimenez has the ability to replace him...maybe, maybe not.
I appreciate his work to still be capable with no velocity. But not sure how long he can keep it up.

I'd love to see Jiminez adjust to MLB hitters without a hitch, but I'm not banking on a rookie.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with either Wilson. I think they can handle the 7th and 8th. K-Rod scares me more than them. Detroit's problem is. They don't seem to have any other arms they can rely on. If Jimenez comes and can be trusted -- I like our chances much more.

With K-Rod. Not much we can do. He seems to get the job done, even though it can be a headache at times. And with his mph splits -- it has been the same for the last couple years, so it isn't anything new.

We shall see. Prior to the season, I wanted to see how the young kids would pitch before I got my hopes up. I really think Detroit is going to better than I thought. I felt they'd be around 83-85 wins. I honestly think, if they stay healthy with their starting pitchers -- Detroit could battle for at least a WC spot.
I think they could compete for a playoff spot. It's just tough for me to see this bullpen holding down enough leads. They've already blown a months worth in two weeks.

Just don't see enough in house is all.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto offered him 4 years 80 million. His final year of his contract is a team option. They aren't paying him 25 million at 38 years old to be a DH unless he starts putting up David Ortiz type numbers.

His attendance bonuses won't happen either. I believe it starts at 2 million fans. They had 1.5 million fans last year. For whatever reason, they can't fill the seats.
He does have a 5mil buyout if Stinktown let's him walk after three years.

They're on pace for just under 2mil right now. But their attendance does still suck. Only four teams in baseball with worse. And two of em are in this division.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed for 3 years 60 million. They may get a discount in year 1, but it will only get worse the longer he is with them.

Anyways. Encarnacion is a fool. He turned down 4 years 80 million from Toronto thinking he'd get more on the open market. Cost himself 20 million.
Iffy D ont let facts get in the way

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Iffy the idiot. But sack licker to. Trying hard for Indian fan to like him...keep licking iffy

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Detroit get money back from Miggy and JV if they don't get a ring? Gil Meche gave money back when he started to suck...but that was a CLASS act

I agree, the length of both contracts was stupid. Still....

(1) It takes more than 2 players to get a ring.

(2) Cabrera has the highest lifetime average of anyone in the majors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on whether a 12 game stretch means he's starting to suck. Was Gil Meche ever at that level among pitchers? Don't think so.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Detroit get money back from Miggy and JV if they don't get a ring? Gil Meche gave money back when he started to suck...but that was a CLASS act

When he started to suck? Are you saying Gil Meche gave back all the money he made in the MLB?

If Cabrera and Verlander were like Gil Meche -- they'd be retired already.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing against either Wilson. But that's not going to cut it imo.

No clue why Jiminez is back in Toledo. The dude they brought up for him isn't a reliever and looked every bit the part the other night. I like Frankie, but an 88 mph fastball and an 82 mph change up are hard to live off.

Unless they add payroll I'm not very confident they end up better than last year. Decent, but not enough.

Therein lays the problem... Iffy (and others) can bitch about Al Avila all they want, but it's clear from this offseason that the Ilitches ORDERED Avila to not go any more over the luxury cap than they already are. The Maybin move and refusal to go after a decent CF afterwards proves that, as well as the refusal to spend money on a proven reliever or two.

This doesn't forgive Avila for past flubs (Pelfrey, Lowe), but it explains this most recent offseason.

Forbes says the Tigers lost $38 million on baseball operations last season.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therein lays the problem... Iffy (and others) can bitch about Al Avila all they want, but it's clear from this offseason that the Ilitches ORDERED Avila to not go any more over the luxury cap than they already are. The Maybin move and refusal to go after a decent CF afterwards proves that, as well as the refusal to spend money on a proven reliever or two.

This doesn't forgive Avila for past flubs (Pelfrey, Lowe), but it explains this most recent offseason.

Forbes says the Tigers lost $38 million on baseball operations last season.

I don't doubt that Avila Sr had his hands tied this off season. However, when you are in the rarefied air of $200mil, the expenditure of a couple of millions of dollars isn't going to matter. I realized that Detroit was not going to make the big score early in the off season...my complaint was the lack of ANY attempt to shore up CF or the pen. There were players available that would not ''break the Illitches' bank'' that Detroit did not got, for what ever reason. I'm not saying a Bourjos or a Blanco would be solving the CF/RF problem, but they were inexpensive veterans. I am sure there were relief pitchers available that, for a little more cash, have more upside that most of the AAA re-runs the Tigers kept.
Avila came in having to deal with the problems Dombrowski left. IMO, he has only added to the problems.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That matters in 2017 because????? Being in last place is good?????

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers leading the al central just feels so right.
If we only had a bull pen....miggy would be slipping on a ring... if we had bull pen last few years. Might would have multi rings

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. What team is the reigning runnerup in the AL Central Division? Doug, care to take a shot at that one?

September 22, 2016. "A day that will live in infamy...."

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in the past...
2016 is gone.
2017 is here. Guess who is in last place in The AM Central....of course. Maybe they will give you a game in standings for finishing in 1st for last year
BAWEWWEHASASSS