• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle and Clarkson. Both of whom are likely to be allowed to walk anyway. Also, Lopez and KCP would be gone. The main core of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance and probably Hart will still be intact.

I'd expect 3 years max...maybe 4.

It would make their jobs and ability to grow easier. Plus they'd be seeing how a championship player prepares and plays. If they're smart, they'll be sponges around him.

As you point out, he's going to be 33. Pretty safe bet that wherever he signs, it will be his last stop.

I expect it would be to continue with adding pieces to the young core that would remain and be entering their primes.

Only quibble here is LeBron is an endurance freak of nature. I expect him to play til he's in his late 30s, Kevin Willis/Vince Carter style. Obviously in the later years he won't be the team alpha but he will still contribute and maybe get another ring that way.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather the Lakers sign just one top FA and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The main issue with the Lakers is turnovers and not having a legit closer. Both can be fixed rather easily with just one star.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only quibble here is LeBron is an endurance freak of nature. I expect him to play til he's in his late 30s, Kevin Willis/Vince Carter style.

I'll be surprised if he does. He seems to be setting himself up for life after basketball and doing so at a fairly quick pace. He doesn't seem like one who'd be that interested in sticking around for 3 or 4 years as a role player.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather the Lakers sign just one top FA and keep Randle and Clarkson.

The main issue with the Lakers is turnovers and not having a legit closer. Both can be fixed rather easily with just one star.

It takes more than 1 star to win titles.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be surprised if he does. He seems to be setting himself up for life after basketball and doing so at a fairly quick pace. He doesn't seem like one who'd be that interested in sticking around for 3 or 4 years as a role player.

Neither of us know what's in his mind but to me it's just as likely he sticks around to try to get to 6 rings

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately the Lakers have stars in the making.

They need to bring in 2 stars with Ball, Ingram and Kuzma to have any chance to contend in the next 4 years. The top teams are way too good.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of us know what's in his mind but to me it's just as likely he sticks around to try to get to 6 rings

I think being GOAT is important to him. 6 rings probably isn't happening, but he could be the all time scoring leader along with a few other major all time accolades if he plays to 40 or so. He is literally having the best statistical season of his career right now, so reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

IMO, he has 2-3 more years as the best player in the league before we see a slow fade. He is a freak of nature and I bet he is still legitimately an all star level performer at 38 if he can avoid major injury.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to bring in 2 stars with Ball, Ingram and Kuzma to have any chance to contend in the next 4 years. The top teams are way too good.

One should suffice just to be competitive enough. Add PG13 to this current roster and they make the playoffs easily. Not saying they stand a chance but the young guys will only get better.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no. Especially 2 and 5. If Father Time is undefeated, shouldn't LeBron's love of 1 year deals make that a non-issue?

I just don't get it. Like the guy, don't like the guy, if he comes to LA your team wins a title probably. Isn't that the point?

Maybe someone who roots for the Lakers AND Warriors just thinks of things a little differently. Do you also like the Dodgers and Giants? Niners and Rams?
Ummm no not quite like I said. How do we know WHICH year father time kicks in since each athlete is different? All we know for sure is that it will happen EVENTUALLY.

What does it matter if I like him or not when all I mentioned were VALID questions that impact the TEAM? I don't expect you to "get it" all the time - but I won't hold it against you because you don't.

MY point is that I don't want him playing for LA - simple. I'm pretty sure I've been consistent on that point so it should be obvious - EVEN TO YOU - that winning is NOT the only point that I care about.

And obviously I do think of things differently - like what does the Dodgers or Giants have to do in a basketball conversation?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think being GOAT is important to him. 6 rings probably isn't happening, but he could be the all time scoring leader along with a few other major all time accolades if he plays to 40 or so. He is literally having the best statistical season of his career right now, so reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

IMO, he has 2-3 more years as the best player in the league before we see a slow fade. He is a freak of nature and I bet he is still legitimately an all star level performer at 38 if he can avoid major injury.

So he plays 7 more years. Maybe the last 3 he's an add on to the 2021 version of the Warriors (Sixers?). 6 rings is not out of the question depending on what team he manages to be on, if he plays that many more years. Obviously not a lock.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle and Clarkson. Both of whom are likely to be allowed to walk anyway. Also, Lopez and KCP would be gone. The main core of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance and probably Hart will still be intact.

I'd expect 3 years max...maybe 4.

It would make their jobs and ability to grow easier. Plus they'd be seeing how a championship player prepares and plays. If they're smart, they'll be sponges around him.

As you point out, he's going to be 33. Pretty safe bet that wherever he signs, it will be his last stop.

I expect it would be to continue with adding pieces to the young core that would remain and be entering their primes.
All of those answers sound good - but realistically, probably not.

1. KCP, & Lopez are the only ones you give up - but they're not considered the "young guys" I was referring to.

2. So if playing with LBJ makes life easier why did Kyrie leave? He had the option of playing with him until LBJ retires most likely...but he chose to walk even before he knew where he might end up. So...I have to disagree.

3. He's NEVER signed a 3-4 contract since his first stint w/ Cleveland & being in Miami w/ the big 3. You really think he wants to retire somewhere other than Cleveland? I don't. Especially since he'd be playing in the shadows of Kobe?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm no not quite like I said. How do we know WHICH year father time kicks in since each athlete is different? All we know for sure is that it will happen EVENTUALLY.

What does it matter if I like him or not when all I mentioned were VALID questions that impact the TEAM? I don't expect you to "get it" all the time - but I won't hold it against you because you don't.

MY point is that I don't want him playing for LA - simple. I'm pretty sure I've been consistent on that point so it should be obvious - EVEN TO YOU - that winning is NOT the only point that I care about.

And obviously I do think of things differently - like what does the Dodgers or Giants have to do in a basketball conversation?

Liking the Lakers and Warriors is like liking the Giants and Dodgers. It doesn't make sense.

The only thing less coherent is liking the Lakers and Celtics.

All I'm saying is you aren't making a lot of sense when you worry about his decline and have a problem with him signing 1 year deals. Either makes sense, both do not.

I also get it you simply don't want him, to the point where getting a ring is less important. That's all good, you can be any kind of fan you want.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Clarkson is going away any time soon. Luke and Magic love him and he's on a pretty good deal.
They would want Clarkson to stay IMO. Lonzo isn't ready to take on the PG load alone.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liking the Lakers and Warriors is like liking the Giants and Dodgers. It doesn't make sense.

The only thing less coherent is liking the Lakers and Celtics.

All I'm saying is you aren't making a lot of sense when you worry about his decline and have a problem with him signing 1 year deals. Either makes sense, both do not.

I also get it you simply don't want him, to the point where getting a ring is less important. That's all good, you can be any kind of fan you want.
Why does it have to make sense to you if it's MY CHOICE? That's what doesn't make sense.

The only thinG less coherent is you trying to tell me my fandom isn't valid because you don't agree with my choice of teams.

The problem with him taking one year deals is because of the assets they will have to give up to get him - thus making it harder for them to continue to rebuild & add pieces that can stay in place when he leaves. It's not brain surgery.

And if you really feel like I can be any kind of fan I want, then what is your reasoning for pointing out WHAT kind of fan I am? Now THAT is contradictory.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it have to make sense to you if it's MY CHOICE? That's what doesn't make sense.

The only thinG less coherent is you trying to tell me my fandom isn't valid because you don't agree with my choice of teams.

The problem with him taking one year deals is because of the assets they will have to give up to get him - thus making it harder for them to continue to rebuild & add pieces that can stay in place when he leaves. It's not brain surgery.

And if you really feel like I can be any kind of fan I want, then what is your reasoning for pointing out WHAT kind of fan I am? Now THAT is contradictory.

No, all I'm doing is bullshitting on a sports board. You shouldn't be so thin skinned. It's a little weird. We all get called out and teased on our weird stuff here. And I said the opposite, I said you can be any kind of fan you want. But weirdness gets teased. It's sports, you are supposed to tease me back.

Assets to give up, you mean to afford his 1 year deals? First off he's not dumb, he will take less to have a better team around him to get rings. And he is worth 2-3 'assets' they would be giving up. If they can get a team together of LeBron, PG, Ball, Kuzma, and Ingram plus savvy vets taking peanuts to win like David West is doing with the Ws, that's a team that can get you a couple of rings.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they would do if they didn't re-sign Randle.
No, everyone outside of Kuz, Ingram, Ball, Hart, Nance have to go.

Even renouncing everyone and stretching Deng's current contract still won't be enough.

According to Pincus, the Lakers should extend Deng to soften his stretch cap hit as well as dumping Clarkson to get 2 full max deals, if LeBron is one of the players.

But, you'd have near room level money to try and keep Lopez, since you would retain his Bird rights for next Season as well. Maybe he stays if he can get a bigger deal next Summer?

You won't have Bird rights on KCP. So, I don't see him taking the 8m room exception.

Based on the NBA's 2018 salary-cap projection of $101 million, James will get up to $35.4 million, while Cousins and George can top out at $30.3 million.

The math doesn't actually work for the Lakers, who are looking at roughly $47.5 million in space once they renounce the rights to Julius Randle, Brook Lopez, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Corey Brewer and Andrew Bogut while waiving Ivica Zubac, Thomas Bryant and Tyler Ennis.

The answer is the league's stretch provision, which allows for players to be waived with their contracts paid out over twice the length of the remaining deal, plus one season.

With the $36.8 million owed to Deng over the next two, the Lakers can stretch him out to $7.4 million over five years, which would open $9.8 million in additional cap space in July.

That isn't quite enough to get to two max slots, putting the Lakers at about $57.3 million in space.

To Make Room for 2 Stars, Lakers Should Give Luol Deng an Extension, Seriously