• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Top Prospects

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found out what has been happening to some of our prospects, most notably Miguel Gomez.

Gomez has been in extended ST working almost exclusively at catcher, after playing a mixture of 1st, 3rd and C since becoming a Pro. He has since been assigned to Augusta and expects to play a good amount of catcher.

Matt Winn, surprisingly moved up to Richmond, has returned to Augusta. Puzzling move, Augusta now has 4 catchers on the roster. Jeff Arnold is probably going to be activated in Richmond, explaining the demotion for Winn. I'm just not sure where all these players will fit in.
Someone has already been moved to the disabled list - Matt Pare. They already moved Zachary Bowers off the roster (I assume to ext sp) and both Matt Pare and Adam Sonabend are fillers. Sonabend, in fact, got all of 2 at bats at the end of the season in Richmond last year (and appeared in one game in Sacramento earlier in the season).
Since Gomez is going to get the bulk of playing time, that means Winn went from started in Richmond to back up in Augusta. Talk about a demotion!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has already been moved to the disabled list - Matt Pare. They already moved Zachary Bowers off the roster (I assume to ext sp) and both Matt Pare and Adam Sonabend are fillers. Sonabend, in fact, got all of 2 at bats at the end of the season in Richmond last year (and appeared in one game in Sacramento earlier in the season).
Since Gomez is going to get the bulk of playing time, that means Winn went from started in Richmond to back up in Augusta. Talk about a demotion!

Gomez will probably still play his fair share at 1st, and 3rd, but yeah does Winn still get enough PT with the demotion? That's what is puzzling me about this. Winn is also known as a great defensive pitcher and game caller, and Miguel Gomez is certainly not. Maybe all hope was abandoned with Gomez as a catcher as that's why he was assigned, rather than they felt he was ready? I guess we'll see.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just announced on KNBR that Susac was placed on the AAA DL with a shoulder injury.

Not sure why KNBR would announce this as news. They normally dont mention this level of transaction. But because they mentioned it, maybe it is somewhat serious???

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gomez will probably still play his fair share at 1st, and 3rd, but yeah does Winn still get enough PT with the demotion? That's what is puzzling me about this. Winn is also known as a great defensive pitcher and game caller, and Miguel Gomez is certainly not. Maybe all hope was abandoned with Gomez as a catcher as that's why he was assigned, rather than they felt he was ready? I guess we'll see.
And Winn wasn't sent down because of Jeff Arnold. The Giants has signed Steve Lerud and assigned him to Richmond. I guess we'll see how this shakes out.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because our system seriously lacks 31 year old .224 career hitting catchers. Arnold appears to be on the 7-day DL.
Arnold has been on the dl the whole season (and most of last year too). I guess the Giants really wanted to repeat last year's catching platoon at Richmond but since they lost Jackson Williams, Lerud would work just fine as a replacement. Winn must have represented too much potential to possibly ruin that plan.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just announced on KNBR that Susac was placed on the AAA DL with a shoulder injury.

Not sure why KNBR would announce this as news. They normally dont mention this level of transaction. But because they mentioned it, maybe it is somewhat serious???

Or maybe they mentioned it because some viewed Susac as the 2nd coming of Buster?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big news:

Joan Gregorio moves up to AAA
Andrew Suarez moves up to AA
Martin Agosta assigned to A+
Agosta started the year in A+ and got promoted to AAA before getting re-assigned to extended spring training. Good to see him back with a team. Hope both Gregorio and Suarez do well in the next level.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big news:

Joan Gregorio moves up to AAA
Andrew Suarez moves up to AA
Martin Agosta assigned to A+
Biggest news is obviously Gregorio. He owned AA, so give him 1 or 2 starts in an offensive league and we should see him in SF within a few weeks.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest news is obviously Gregorio. He owned AA, so give him 1 or 2 starts in an offensive league and we should see him in SF within a few weeks.

Maybe. Could also be that Hesto is getting right.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Could also be that Hesto is getting right.
Right when both Peavy (somewhat) and Cain look better. Cain bought a couple more starts at least. Have to think Peavy is still on a fairly short leash.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right when both Peavy (somewhat) and Cain look better. Cain bought a couple more starts at least. Have to think Peavy is still on a fairly short leash.
PV is out of the rotation by the end of the month. I still have hope for Cain. Velocity and stuff are still there.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor guy. Back to his old ways of getting Cained last night. Pitches great, and Giants cannot score.
agreed, but I prefer the half full take: he's learning how to locate. If he masters that, we've got old Cain back. If we get old Cain back, we win this division by 10 games.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed, but I prefer the half full take: he's learning how to locate. If he masters that, we've got old Cain back. If we get old Cain back, we win this division by 10 games.
I did not watch the game, but based on the box, he did look good. However, "old Cain" is dead. He ain't coming back. But if he can pitch at a #3 level, that would be HUGE. I would like to see at least 2 more of these before I
Have any confidence in him, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not watch the game, but based on the box, he did look good. However, "old Cain" is dead. He ain't coming back. But if he can pitch at a #3 level, that would be HUGE. I would like to see at least 2 more of these before I
Have any confidence in him, though.

I think your comments reflect the majority of the avid fan base. I saw a FB that was moving, had late life. I saw a slider with bite. He still left some pitches out over the plate, and one of those got crushed. He may never be the "Matt Cain" of old, but if he can refine his command he can be a solid #2. With Bum/JC/SammyJam and another #2 type (plus Gregorio), we should have enough to take this division.

If we ever hit again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your comments reflect the majority of the avid fan base. I saw a FB that was moving, had late life. I saw a slider with bite. He still left some pitches out over the plate, and one of those got crushed. He may never be the "Matt Cain" of old, but if he can refine his command he can be a solid #2. With Bum/JC/SammyJam and another #2 type (plus Gregorio), we should have enough to take this division.

If we ever hit again.
This is the key. The hole on this team is clear, and it is deep. If the team can fix the back end of the rotation in just a minor way (no need for an Ace-level replacement), the returns will be HUGE.

The offense SHOULD be OK. The lack of power is frustrating, but that is the design of the team, so we just need to live with it. So far, outside of Belt, everyone is basically hitting at the lower-end of the career norms (or lower), so I think it safe to expect some uptick there. The lack of power makes a slumping offense look worse than it really is (just like a power team can hide slumps better).

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we ever hit again.

The Giants' lineup has been historically awful over the last four games

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johneshway Fargas has been assigned to Augusta. The kid just couldn't make contact. Haven't heard who is taking the spot, but if they stick with an outfielder, Dylan Davis makes a lot of sense.