• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Top Prospects

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo is a lock at number 1 for me.

Beede, Shaw, Bickford, Blackburn are in my top 10. I'm going to take my time with this list. Tough one to rank this year, lots of new faces with Susac, Duffy graduating, and Mella, Ysla moving on, Carbonell falling off a cliff, and a huge draft/international haul.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not my official list (I will try to put that out sometime before ST, I think), but this is a semi-thought-out current list...

1) Christian Arroyo - SS, 1st round, 2013

He is coming off a big year in San Jose for his age 20 season. He slashed .304 / .344 / .459 / .803 with 9 HRs. While he is not a power hitter, it looks like he will have decent enough pop to keep pitchers honest moving forward. It is questionable whether he will be able to stay at SS, he clubhouse presence and overall athleticism might make the OF a worst-case-scenario option for him. More likely, his future is likely at 2B or 3B.

2) Tyler Beede - RHP, 1st round, 2014

He had a very nice run in San Jose in '14 but struggled after a promotion to Richmond. He maintained his moderate K/9 rate (6.4 -> 6.1) but he seemed to lose control (1.5 -> 4.4). However, while his WHIP rose post-promotion (1.146 -> 1.341), it did not rise as much as his walks did, so he was actually harder to hit in Richmond. I have not heard about any specif limitations the team has put on him regarding his arsenal, so I am not sure how much to place in any of his numbers.

3) Phil Bickford - RHP, 1st round, 2015

Bickford is the second consecutive former Blue Jays first rounder that the Giants have picked and successfully signed. Bickford was drafted #10 overall out of HS in 2013. Bickford only got 22.1 IP in Arizona in '15, but he dominated. He had a 0.851 WHIP with 32 K and only 6 BBs. I am actually more excited for Bickford than I am for Beede, but Beede is further along, so he gets the nod for the #2 slot. I expect Bickford to be a part of the San Jose rotation in '16, his age 20 season.

4) Mac Williamson - OF, 3rd round, 2012

Mac had TJ in 2014. Typically, that is not a big deal for position players. However, it did cost him a year of development, and his power pretty much disappeared in 2015 as he got back into the game. Outside of his actual HR power-stroke, he did put up very good numbers in Richmond before going to Sacramento and eventually San Fran. While his batting average went WAY down in Sacto, his OBP actually went up and he found his power-stroke (8 HR in 189 ABs; .809 OPS). When he got to SF, Parker pretty much stole all of his PT, so we really dont know for sure if he is actually ready for the Show or not yet. Personally, I am luke-warm on him. He showed a lot of promise when he joined the org, but has been a bit injury-plagued since and has not had a real breakout season yet.

5) Clayton Blackburn - RHP, 16th round, 2011

Blackburn was the hands-down best pitcher in the PCL in '15. He has nothing left to prove in the minors. At this point, he is almost not a prospect anymore, he just needs his chance to take a roster spot. He should start the 2016 season in Sacto as the Ace of their staff, and act as the #6 man in the SF rotation. More-so than anything else, though, I think he is a prime trade chip.

6) Adalberto Mejia - LHP, International free agent, 2010

I might actually have him rated too low. He got popped for PEDs starting the 2015 season, so his activity was very limited. But his numbers in Richmond were solid (1.091 WHIP, 2.45 ERA, 6.7 K/9, 3.2 BB/9), so he should be promoted to Sacto to start the '16 season (his age 23 season). Lefty starters are something special, and in particular, the Giants are rather thin in them at the moment.

7) Jarrett Parker - OF, 2nd round, 2010

Truthfully, I probably have him rated too high. But when a kid goes on that kind of tear in the majors to start him MLB career, you have to take notice. Multiple reports indicate that he really adjusted his approach to ABs after his prior MLB stint and everything just clicked for him. His defense appears to be his major issue right now. But at 6-4, I am not sure why the Giants have not gotten him a 1B glove (assuming they have not). He seems a natural to AT LEAST add depth there. But his bat SHOULD play at the MLB level. He has consistently shown power and .800+ OPSs.

8) Chris Stratton - RHP, 1st round, 2012

I am probably too bullish on Stratton, but I have just seen too many reports about the Giants putting hard restrictions on his repertoire. I dont really trust his numbers because of this. He has shown flashes brilliance that get my hopes up on him. I think that when/if the Giants let him loose, he will blow up and be a low-end 2 / very good 3.

9) Chris Shaw - 1B, 1st round (sup), 2015

He was scouted as the premier power hitter in the entire 2015 draft. How he fell to the Giants at #31 does not make a lot of sense. When he took the field, he pretty much confirmed that his bat is no joke. He knocked 12 HRs in 178 ABs with a .911 OPS. I have not heard anything about his glove yet. Granted, he is a fresh draftee and has only played in Arizona, I suspect he, combined with Posey, will prevent the Giants from locking up Belt to a long term deal.

10) Aramis Garcia - C, 2nd round, 2014

This is the guy who makes Susac so expendable. His defense, IIRC, is slightly suspect, though, but he has plenty of time to work on that. his bat, though, is no joke. In Augusta, he hit 15 HRs in 319 ABs for an .817 OPS clip. Combined with Susac and Brown, the Giants catching depth is set for next 5-6 years.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not my official list (I will try to put that out sometime before ST, I think), but this is a semi-thought-out current list...

1) Christian Arroyo - SS, 1st round, 2013

He is coming off a big year in San Jose for his age 20 season. He slashed .304 / .344 / .459 / .803 with 9 HRs. While he is not a power hitter, it looks like he will have decent enough pop to keep pitchers honest moving forward. It is questionable whether he will be able to stay at SS, he clubhouse presence and overall athleticism might make the OF a worst-case-scenario option for him. More likely, his future is likely at 2B or 3B.

2) Tyler Beede - RHP, 1st round, 2014

He had a very nice run in San Jose in '14 but struggled after a promotion to Richmond. He maintained his moderate K/9 rate (6.4 -> 6.1) but he seemed to lose control (1.5 -> 4.4). However, while his WHIP rose post-promotion (1.146 -> 1.341), it did not rise as much as his walks did, so he was actually harder to hit in Richmond. I have not heard about any specif limitations the team has put on him regarding his arsenal, so I am not sure how much to place in any of his numbers.

3) Phil Bickford - RHP, 1st round, 2015

Bickford is the second consecutive former Blue Jays first rounder that the Giants have picked and successfully signed. Bickford was drafted #10 overall out of HS in 2013. Bickford only got 22.1 IP in Arizona in '15, but he dominated. He had a 0.851 WHIP with 32 K and only 6 BBs. I am actually more excited for Bickford than I am for Beede, but Beede is further along, so he gets the nod for the #2 slot. I expect Bickford to be a part of the San Jose rotation in '16, his age 20 season.

4) Mac Williamson - OF, 3rd round, 2012

Mac had TJ in 2014. Typically, that is not a big deal for position players. However, it did cost him a year of development, and his power pretty much disappeared in 2015 as he got back into the game. Outside of his actual HR power-stroke, he did put up very good numbers in Richmond before going to Sacramento and eventually San Fran. While his batting average went WAY down in Sacto, his OBP actually went up and he found his power-stroke (8 HR in 189 ABs; .809 OPS). When he got to SF, Parker pretty much stole all of his PT, so we really dont know for sure if he is actually ready for the Show or not yet. Personally, I am luke-warm on him. He showed a lot of promise when he joined the org, but has been a bit injury-plagued since and has not had a real breakout season yet.

Blackburn was the hands-down best pitcher in the PCL in '15. He has nothing left to prove in the minors. At this point, he is almost not a prospect anymore, he just needs his chance to take a roster spot. He should start the 2016 season in Sacto as the Ace of their staff, and act as the #6 man in the SF rotation. More-so than anything else, though, I think he is a prime trade chip.

6) Adalberto Mejia - LHP, International free agent, 2010

I might actually have him rated too low. He got popped for PEDs starting the 2015 season, so his activity was very limited. But his numbers in Richmond were solid (1.091 WHIP, 2.45 ERA, 6.7 K/9, 3.2 BB/9), so he should be promoted to Sacto to start the '16 season (his age 23 season). Lefty starters are something special, and in particular, the Giants are rather thin in them at the moment.

7) Jarrett Parker - OF, 2nd round, 2010

Truthfully, I probably have him rated too high. But when a kid goes on that kind of tear in the majors to start him MLB career, you have to take notice. Multiple reports indicate that he really adjusted his approach to ABs after his prior MLB stint and everything just clicked for him. His defense appears to be his major issue right now. But at 6-4, I am not sure why the Giants have not gotten him a 1B glove (assuming they have not). He seems a natural to AT LEAST add depth there. But his bat SHOULD play at the MLB level. He has consistently shown power and .800+ OPSs.

8) Chris Stratton - RHP, 1st round, 2012

I am probably too bullish on Stratton, but I have just seen too many reports about the Giants putting hard restrictions on his repertoire. I dont really trust his numbers because of this. He has shown flashes brilliance that get my hopes up on him. I think that when/if the Giants let him loose, he will blow up and be a low-end 2 / very good 3.

9) Chris Shaw - 1B, 1st round (sup), 2015

He was scouted as the premier power hitter in the entire 2015 draft. How he fell to the Giants at #31 does not make a lot of sense. When he took the field, he pretty much confirmed that his bat is no joke. He knocked 12 HRs in 178 ABs with a .911 OPS. I have not heard anything about his glove yet. Granted, he is a fresh draftee and has only played in Arizona, I suspect he, combined with Posey, will prevent the Giants from locking up Belt to a long term deal.

10) Aramis Garcia - C, 2nd round, 2014

This is the guy who makes Susac so expendable. His defense, IIRC, is slightly suspect, though, but he has plenty of time to work on that. his bat, though, is no joke. In Augusta, he hit 15 HRs in 319 ABs for an .817 OPS clip. Combined with Susac and Brown, the Giants catching depth is set for next 5-6 years.

Cal, as usual, amazing shit here.

FWIW I have read somewhere that Beede was told by mgmt this past season to throw 2-3 specific pitches to sharpen them in an attempt to develop his secondary pitches and his fastball was not necessarily one of them. I believe it was change (or circle change, can't remember), sinker, and slider but I do remember his fastball being one of the only pitches they limited him on. This was also the reason the writer thought that Beede's K/BB ratio was so drastically different from the prior year as his walks went up.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter League Updates

Venezuela

* Jake Dunning:
0-1, 6.61 ERA, 16.1 IP, 4 BB, 10 SO
– Has made three starts and five relief appearances … Surrendered 26 hits over 16 1/3 innings … Spent the majority of the 2015 season pitching for Triple-A Sacramento (6.85 ERA in 46 innings).

* Matt Lujan: 2-1, 1.97 ERA, 32.0 IP, 14 BB, 15 SO
– Has been a standout starting pitcher for Aguilas del Zulia of the Venezuelan Winter League … Has allowed one or no earned runs in five out of his six starts … Pitched 13 scoreless innings with just four hits allowed over his last two starts … Owned a 3.18 ERA in 20 starts for Double-A Richmond during the 2015 season.

* Edwin Quirarte: 0-1, 3.27 ERA, 11.0 IP, 6 BB, 12 SO
– Limiting the opposition to a .194 batting average in 11 innings out of the bullpen … Over his last 10 appearances, has pitched nine innings with just one run and four hits allowed … Is a minor league free agent … 2015 marked his fifth straight season in Richmond.

* Jack Snodgrass: 0-1, 4.15 ERA, 8.2 IP, 8 BB, 6 SO
– Has made four starts in winter ball totaling just 8 2/3 innings … 2012 Cal League All-Star split time between Richmond and Sacramento this year (4.35 combined ERA).

The Venezuelan Winter League regular season concludes December 29.

Dominican Republic

* Jose Casilla: 0-0, 3.18 ERA, 5.2 IP, 1 BB, 2 SO
– Has seen action in six games out of the bullpen … Surrendered two runs over 5 2/3 innings … Is coming off a tremendous season with Richmond (1.44 ERA in 47 relief appearances).

* Joan Gregorio: 0-1, 2.03 ERA, 13.1 IP, 3 BB, 8 SO
– A member of San Francisco’s 40-man roster … Has made six appearances (one start) in winter ball … Allowed only six hits in 13 1/3 innings (.133 opponents batting average) … Has not surrendered a hit in his last two outings (five innings) … Finished the 2015 season pitching in the Richmond starting rotation (3.09 ERA).

* Adalberto Mejia: 1-0, 3.60 ERA, 5.0 IP, 1 BB, 5 SO
– Joined Gigantes del Cibao last week after a successful Arizona Fall League season … Has made one winter ball start thus far … Pitched five innings with two runs allowed, one walk and five strikeouts … Was added to San Francisco’s 40-man roster last month after pitching for Richmond during the 2015 season (2.45 ERA in nine starts).

* Rando Moreno: .103 AVG, 0 HR, 0 RBI
– Had a breakout 2015 season as the starting shortstop for Richmond earning Eastern League All-Star honors (.275 AVG in 121 games) … Is just 3-for-29 in 11 winter ball games.

The Dominican Winter League regular season concludes December 21.

Mexico

* Ryan Lollis: .316 AVG, 1 HR, 17 RBI
– Led the SF Giants farm system in batting average during the 2015 season (.340 AVG over three levels) and also received 12 at-bats in San Francisco … Has continued his excellent year in the Mexican Winter League … Owns a .316 batting average in 31 games with seven doubles, one triple and one home run … Has walked (10) more than he’s struck out (9) … Currently a minor league free agent.

The Mexican Winter League regular season ends on December 29.

Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton Blackburn a Giants rotation candidate

Blackburn progressed substantially, winning nearly half as many games this year as he did in his previous four professional seasons. The right-hander finished 10-4 with a Pacific Coast League-leading 2.85 ERA in 23 appearances (20 starts) for Triple-A Sacramento. From 2011-14, Blackburn went 23-17.

"He has really turned a corner for us," Giants general manager Bobby Evans said of Blackburn, who's ranked 21st on MLB.com's list of the organization's top 30 prospects.

The source of Blackburn's improvement was evident. He stayed in better physical shape, as Bert Bradley, San Francisco's coordinator of Minor League pitching, emphasized.

"He always had some nagging injury," Bradley said Monday. In 2014, for example, a rib ailment and a cracked fingernail limited Blackburn to 20 starts, all but two of them with Double-A Richmond. Blackburn finished a combined 5-7 with a 3.31 ERA. His skill was obvious, but he couldn't stay healthy long enough to develop it.

This season was different. Listed at 260 pounds in the Giants' 2014 media guide, Blackburn trimmed his weight to 230 this year. That helped him broaden his pitching repertoire. His curveball, which was considered his best pitch, became even more formidable.

"He tightened it up and got to where he can throw it at different speeds now. He can throw it harder," Bradley said.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nice list, cal. We appreciate all o' y'all's efforts.

Now maybe this article is just an offseason bandwidth stuffer, but it seems like Blackburn is ready for a test in Teh Show. With us looking for SP's, I'd like to see him get a shot.

He can even hit - he had a .789 OPS last year in Sacto. Always a plus.

Spring training is going to be very interesting.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton Blackburn a Giants rotation candidate

Blackburn progressed substantially, winning nearly half as many games this year as he did in his previous four professional seasons. The right-hander finished 10-4 with a Pacific Coast League-leading 2.85 ERA in 23 appearances (20 starts) for Triple-A Sacramento. From 2011-14, Blackburn went 23-17.

"He has really turned a corner for us," Giants general manager Bobby Evans said of Blackburn, who's ranked 21st on MLB.com's list of the organization's top 30 prospects.

The source of Blackburn's improvement was evident. He stayed in better physical shape, as Bert Bradley, San Francisco's coordinator of Minor League pitching, emphasized.

"He always had some nagging injury," Bradley said Monday. In 2014, for example, a rib ailment and a cracked fingernail limited Blackburn to 20 starts, all but two of them with Double-A Richmond. Blackburn finished a combined 5-7 with a 3.31 ERA. His skill was obvious, but he couldn't stay healthy long enough to develop it.

This season was different. Listed at 260 pounds in the Giants' 2014 media guide, Blackburn trimmed his weight to 230 this year. That helped him broaden his pitching repertoire. His curveball, which was considered his best pitch, became even more formidable.

"He tightened it up and got to where he can throw it at different speeds now. He can throw it harder," Bradley said.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nice list, cal. We appreciate all o' y'all's efforts.

Now maybe this article is just an offseason bandwidth stuffer, but it seems like Blackburn is ready for a test in Teh Show. With us looking for SP's, I'd like to see him get a shot.

He can even hit - he had a .789 OPS last year in Sacto. Always a plus.

Spring training is going to be very interesting.

I saw Blackburn pitch twice in Sacramento this summer. In one game, he fast ball was hopping and the curveball was other-worldly. In the other game, the curveball was not sharp, and he got hit around some. All in all, he is an impressive looking kid. Not much else for him to learn in the Coast League. I hope he gets a shot at the rotation.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Blackburn pitch twice in Sacramento this summer. In one game, he fast ball was hopping and the curveball was other-worldly. In the other game, the curveball was not sharp, and he got hit around some. All in all, he is an impressive looking kid. Not much else for him to learn in the Coast League. I hope he gets a shot at the rotation.
What I like is that he is obviously taking this opportunity very seriously, with the weight loss and the pitch development. If the free agent market somehow passes us by, we could do a lot worse than give CB a shot.

And he will turn just 23 on Jan 6.

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal, as usual, amazing shit here.

FWIW I have read somewhere that Beede was told by mgmt this past season to throw 2-3 specific pitches to sharpen them in an attempt to develop his secondary pitches and his fastball was not necessarily one of them. I believe it was change (or circle change, can't remember), sinker, and slider but I do remember his fastball being one of the only pitches they limited him on. This was also the reason the writer thought that Beede's K/BB ratio was so drastically different from the prior year as his walks went up.

In San Jose, Beede threw almost exclusively sinker/slider(really a cutter)/change. In college, he was a power 4-seam fastball/nasty curveball. That's why you saw the K's down last year, he was pitching to contact. They also tweaked his mechanics a bit.

The aggressive promotion to AA didn't look pretty, but the Giants loosened the leash a bit, and allowed him to throw his whole repertoire. For him, he lost the feel of his power fastball/curve and was facing tougher competition. The idea is that he'll come back next season with all the tools in the world to succeed.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In San Jose, Beede threw almost exclusively sinker/slider(really a cutter)/change. In college, he was a power 4-seam fastball/nasty curveball. That's why you saw the K's down last year, he was pitching to contact. They also tweaked his mechanics a bit.

The aggressive promotion to AA didn't look pretty, but the Giants loosened the leash a bit, and allowed him to throw his whole repertoire. For him, he lost the feel of his power fastball/curve and was facing tougher competition. The idea is that he'll come back next season with all the tools in the world to succeed.

SFGRTB, thanks for the clarification. I am 100% on board with this thought process and the Giants have done a great job in developing their young pitchers so I trust that this was in the best interest of both Beede's development as well as the Giants somewhat short term and long term goals.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter League Updates

Venezuela

* Jake Dunning:
0-1, 6.61 ERA, 16.1 IP, 4 BB, 10 SO
– Has made three starts and five relief appearances … Surrendered 26 hits over 16 1/3 innings … Spent the majority of the 2015 season pitching for Triple-A Sacramento (6.85 ERA in 46 innings).

* Matt Lujan: 2-1, 1.97 ERA, 32.0 IP, 14 BB, 15 SO
– Has been a standout starting pitcher for Aguilas del Zulia of the Venezuelan Winter League … Has allowed one or no earned runs in five out of his six starts … Pitched 13 scoreless innings with just four hits allowed over his last two starts … Owned a 3.18 ERA in 20 starts for Double-A Richmond during the 2015 season.

* Edwin Quirarte: 0-1, 3.27 ERA, 11.0 IP, 6 BB, 12 SO
– Limiting the opposition to a .194 batting average in 11 innings out of the bullpen … Over his last 10 appearances, has pitched nine innings with just one run and four hits allowed … Is a minor league free agent … 2015 marked his fifth straight season in Richmond.

* Jack Snodgrass: 0-1, 4.15 ERA, 8.2 IP, 8 BB, 6 SO
– Has made four starts in winter ball totaling just 8 2/3 innings … 2012 Cal League All-Star split time between Richmond and Sacramento this year (4.35 combined ERA).

The Venezuelan Winter League regular season concludes December 29.

Dominican Republic

* Jose Casilla: 0-0, 3.18 ERA, 5.2 IP, 1 BB, 2 SO
– Has seen action in six games out of the bullpen … Surrendered two runs over 5 2/3 innings … Is coming off a tremendous season with Richmond (1.44 ERA in 47 relief appearances).

* Joan Gregorio: 0-1, 2.03 ERA, 13.1 IP, 3 BB, 8 SO
– A member of San Francisco’s 40-man roster … Has made six appearances (one start) in winter ball … Allowed only six hits in 13 1/3 innings (.133 opponents batting average) … Has not surrendered a hit in his last two outings (five innings) … Finished the 2015 season pitching in the Richmond starting rotation (3.09 ERA).

* Adalberto Mejia: 1-0, 3.60 ERA, 5.0 IP, 1 BB, 5 SO
– Joined Gigantes del Cibao last week after a successful Arizona Fall League season … Has made one winter ball start thus far … Pitched five innings with two runs allowed, one walk and five strikeouts … Was added to San Francisco’s 40-man roster last month after pitching for Richmond during the 2015 season (2.45 ERA in nine starts).

* Rando Moreno: .103 AVG, 0 HR, 0 RBI
– Had a breakout 2015 season as the starting shortstop for Richmond earning Eastern League All-Star honors (.275 AVG in 121 games) … Is just 3-for-29 in 11 winter ball games.

The Dominican Winter League regular season concludes December 21.

Mexico

* Ryan Lollis: .316 AVG, 1 HR, 17 RBI
– Led the SF Giants farm system in batting average during the 2015 season (.340 AVG over three levels) and also received 12 at-bats in San Francisco … Has continued his excellent year in the Mexican Winter League … Owns a .316 batting average in 31 games with seven doubles, one triple and one home run … Has walked (10) more than he’s struck out (9) … Currently a minor league free agent.

The Mexican Winter League regular season ends on December 29.
Great stuff here Stokes, thanks for reporting. Dunning and Snodgrass, at this point, are both minor league fillers. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both don't make it out of spring training with the Giants' organization. There is a big lack of spots at AA and AAA for pitchers right now. I would be surprised if the Giants sign any more minor league free agent pitchers this off season. They currently have at least 26 guys at AA and AAA, not counting the guys from San Jose that deserve promotions. In fact, Lujan may be a victim to this congestion as he will probably repeat AA in 2016. Casilla or Gregorio may have to repeat AA as well. In fact, Mejia may repeat AA as well since he didn't pitch a full season there and is young. Rando Moreno, however, may benefit from the lack of position players to get the starting spot at AAA.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would assume he would start 2016 back in AA and get moved up to AAA quickly if he excels.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo, Beede Headline Top Prospect List

The official blog of the San Jose Giants, Class A Advanced affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.

By Joe Ritzo

arroyo-christian-6-4-15-3.jpg
Christian Arroyo has been named the #1 prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization by Baseball America

2015 San Jose Giants standouts Christian Arroyo and Tyler Beede were rated the #1 and #2 prospects respectively in the San Francisco organization today by Baseball America. Seven of the ten players on BA’s top 10 list are former San Jose Giants.

Baseball America’s Top 10 San Francisco Giants prospects:

1. Christian Arroyo, SS
2. Tyler Beede, RHP
3. Phil Bickford, RHP
4. Lucius Fox, SS
5. Chris Shaw, 1B
6. Sam Coonrod, RHP
7. Aramis Garcia, C
8. Clayton Blackburn, RHP
9. Jarrett Parker, OF
10. Adalberto Mejia, LHP

Arroyo is coming off an outstanding 2015 season in the California League. As San Jose’s everyday shortstop this year, Arroyo finished seventh in the league with a .304 batting average. Over 90 games, Arroyo produced 28 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 42 RBI’s. A consistent presence out of the #2 spot in the batting order, Arroyo hit .300 in the first half before batting at a .307 clip after the All-Star break. For his efforts, Arroyo was named to the postseason California League All-Star team while also garnering the San Jose Giants team MVP award.

The 20-year old former first round pick then followed up his fantastic campaign in San Jose with a stellar effort in the Arizona Fall League. Facing some of the top pitching prospects in baseball, Arroyo hit .308 with three home runs over 19 AFL games.

Arroyo was rated the #10 prospect in the system by Baseball America after the 2014 season. He’s the first position player to be named the #1 prospect in the organization by BA since Gary Brown after the 2012 season. Buster Posey (2010) and Brandon Belt (2011) have also garnered the #1 prospect distinction as position players this decade.

beede-tyler-4-21-15-1.jpg
2015 Cal League All-Star Tyler Beede is the Giants’ #2 prospect according to Baseball America

This year marked Beede’s first full professional season after his selection in the first round of the 2014 draft. The Vanderbilt product excelled in the San Jose starting rotation during the first half of this season. In nine starts, Beede fashioned a 2.24 ERA with 37 strikeouts and just nine walks over 52 1/3 innings. In his final start before a promotion to Double-A, Beede struck out 11 batters over seven scoreless innings.

Beede then made 13 starts with Richmond and posted a 5.23 ERA with 49 strikeouts in 72 1/3 innings. Despite the high ERA, Beede still limited the opposition to a .234 batting average in Double-A and allowed two runs or fewer in seven out of his 13 starts.

The players from this top 10 list most likely to open the 2016 season in San Jose are the trio of Chris Shaw, Sam Coonrod and Aramis Garcia. Shaw, rated the #5 overall prospect in the system by Baseball America, was a supplemental first round draft pick last June out of Boston College. A left-handed hitter with plus-power, Shaw was sent to Salem-Keizer after signing where he led the Short-Season Northwest League in home runs with 12 (in 46 games). Shaw added 11 doubles and finished with a .287 batting average.

Coonrod, the #6 prospect, had a terrific regular season with the Class-A Augusta GreenJackets before earning a call-up to San Jose for the California League playoffs. In Augusta, Coonrod had a 3.14 ERA in 22 starts and was fourth in the South Atlantic League with 114 strikeouts (in 111 innings). He then made his mark in San Jose last September with two excellent outings during the Giants’ run to the North Division title. In the decisive third game of the Mini Series in Stockton, Coonrod fired four perfect innings of long relief before a solid start in Game 5 of the Division Series at Visalia (5 2/3 innings, 3 runs, 7 strikeouts).

garcia-walk-off.jpg
Top prospect Aramis Garcia delivered several key hits for San Jose during the playoffs last September

Garcia had a breakout first full professional season in 2015, most notably with Augusta before supplying several key hits for San Jose during the Cal League playoffs. The slugging catcher, drafted in the second round by the Giants out of Florida International University, blasted a team-leading 15 home runs for Augusta and hit .336 after the All-Star break. He was then promoted to San Jose in early-August and batted .227 with no homers in 20 regular season games for the Giants. However in the playoffs, Garcia slugged a pair of key home runs, delivered the game-winning hit in the 15th inning of the clinching Mini Series win at Stockton and finished with an overall postseason batting average of .333.

If the powerful duo of Shaw and Garcia anchor the middle of the order and Coonrod headlines the starting rotation, the 2016 San Jose Giants would feature some of the top prospects in the organization.

Pitcher Phil Bickford (#3) and shortstop Lucius Fox (#4) round out the top 5 on the prospect list. Bickford could potentially see time in San Jose at some point during the 2016 season as well. Drafted in the first round last June out of the College of Southern Nevada, the 20-year old right-hander owned a 2.01 ERA in 22 innings (32 strikeouts) for the Arizona Rookie League Giants during the 2015 season. Meanwhile, the Giants made a splash last July when they gave the 18-year old Fox a $6 million signing bonus. Fox, who is from the Bahamas, will make his professional debut in 2016.

The remainder of the top 10 list are all former San Jose Giants. Clayton Blackburn (#8) won the Pacific Coast League ERA title last season while pitching for the Sacramento River Cats. Blackburn was added to the 40-man roster last month and will look to make his major league debut next season. Jarrett Parker (#9) still qualifies for inclusion on top prospect lists despite playing in 21 games with San Francisco last season. Parker, who hit 23 home runs in Triple-A last year, made an impact last September in the big leagues when he clubbed five homers over a three-game span. Finally, Adalberto Mejia (#10), the only left-handed pitcher on the top 10 list, logged a 2.45 ERA in 51 innings for Richmond last season before a successful stint in the Arizona Fall League. Blackburn and Mejia were key members of the 2013 San Jose starting rotation while Parker played in the California League during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Beede (#2 – same), Blackburn (#5 – dropped three spots), Mejia (#6 – dropped four spots) and Arroyo (#10 – climbed to #1) were all included on last year’s top 10 list as well. #1 Andrew Susac (graduated to big leagues), #3 Kyle Crick (dropped out), #4 Keury Mella (traded), #7 Ty Blach (dropped out), #8 Hunter Strickland (graduated to big leagues) and #9 Matt Duffy (graduated to big leagues) from last year’s list are no longer considered top 10 prospects by Baseball America.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The official blog of the San Jose Giants, Class A Advanced affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.

By Joe Ritzo

View attachment 61716
Christian Arroyo has been named the #1 prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization by Baseball America

2015 San Jose Giants standouts Christian Arroyo and Tyler Beede were rated the #1 and #2 prospects respectively in the San Francisco organization today by Baseball America. Seven of the ten players on BA’s top 10 list are former San Jose Giants.

Baseball America’s Top 10 San Francisco Giants prospects:

1. Christian Arroyo, SS
2. Tyler Beede, RHP
3. Phil Bickford, RHP
4. Lucius Fox, SS
5. Chris Shaw, 1B
6. Sam Coonrod, RHP
7. Aramis Garcia, C
8. Clayton Blackburn, RHP
9. Jarrett Parker, OF
10. Adalberto Mejia, LHP

Arroyo is coming off an outstanding 2015 season in the California League. As San Jose’s everyday shortstop this year, Arroyo finished seventh in the league with a .304 batting average. Over 90 games, Arroyo produced 28 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 42 RBI’s. A consistent presence out of the #2 spot in the batting order, Arroyo hit .300 in the first half before batting at a .307 clip after the All-Star break. For his efforts, Arroyo was named to the postseason California League All-Star team while also garnering the San Jose Giants team MVP award.

The 20-year old former first round pick then followed up his fantastic campaign in San Jose with a stellar effort in the Arizona Fall League. Facing some of the top pitching prospects in baseball, Arroyo hit .308 with three home runs over 19 AFL games.

Arroyo was rated the #10 prospect in the system by Baseball America after the 2014 season. He’s the first position player to be named the #1 prospect in the organization by BA since Gary Brown after the 2012 season. Buster Posey (2010) and Brandon Belt (2011) have also garnered the #1 prospect distinction as position players this decade.

View attachment 61717
2015 Cal League All-Star Tyler Beede is the Giants’ #2 prospect according to Baseball America

This year marked Beede’s first full professional season after his selection in the first round of the 2014 draft. The Vanderbilt product excelled in the San Jose starting rotation during the first half of this season. In nine starts, Beede fashioned a 2.24 ERA with 37 strikeouts and just nine walks over 52 1/3 innings. In his final start before a promotion to Double-A, Beede struck out 11 batters over seven scoreless innings.

Beede then made 13 starts with Richmond and posted a 5.23 ERA with 49 strikeouts in 72 1/3 innings. Despite the high ERA, Beede still limited the opposition to a .234 batting average in Double-A and allowed two runs or fewer in seven out of his 13 starts.

The players from this top 10 list most likely to open the 2016 season in San Jose are the trio of Chris Shaw, Sam Coonrod and Aramis Garcia. Shaw, rated the #5 overall prospect in the system by Baseball America, was a supplemental first round draft pick last June out of Boston College. A left-handed hitter with plus-power, Shaw was sent to Salem-Keizer after signing where he led the Short-Season Northwest League in home runs with 12 (in 46 games). Shaw added 11 doubles and finished with a .287 batting average.

Coonrod, the #6 prospect, had a terrific regular season with the Class-A Augusta GreenJackets before earning a call-up to San Jose for the California League playoffs. In Augusta, Coonrod had a 3.14 ERA in 22 starts and was fourth in the South Atlantic League with 114 strikeouts (in 111 innings). He then made his mark in San Jose last September with two excellent outings during the Giants’ run to the North Division title. In the decisive third game of the Mini Series in Stockton, Coonrod fired four perfect innings of long relief before a solid start in Game 5 of the Division Series at Visalia (5 2/3 innings, 3 runs, 7 strikeouts).

View attachment 61718
Top prospect Aramis Garcia delivered several key hits for San Jose during the playoffs last September

Garcia had a breakout first full professional season in 2015, most notably with Augusta before supplying several key hits for San Jose during the Cal League playoffs. The slugging catcher, drafted in the second round by the Giants out of Florida International University, blasted a team-leading 15 home runs for Augusta and hit .336 after the All-Star break. He was then promoted to San Jose in early-August and batted .227 with no homers in 20 regular season games for the Giants. However in the playoffs, Garcia slugged a pair of key home runs, delivered the game-winning hit in the 15th inning of the clinching Mini Series win at Stockton and finished with an overall postseason batting average of .333.

If the powerful duo of Shaw and Garcia anchor the middle of the order and Coonrod headlines the starting rotation, the 2016 San Jose Giants would feature some of the top prospects in the organization.

Pitcher Phil Bickford (#3) and shortstop Lucius Fox (#4) round out the top 5 on the prospect list. Bickford could potentially see time in San Jose at some point during the 2016 season as well. Drafted in the first round last June out of the College of Southern Nevada, the 20-year old right-hander owned a 2.01 ERA in 22 innings (32 strikeouts) for the Arizona Rookie League Giants during the 2015 season. Meanwhile, the Giants made a splash last July when they gave the 18-year old Fox a $6 million signing bonus. Fox, who is from the Bahamas, will make his professional debut in 2016.

The remainder of the top 10 list are all former San Jose Giants. Clayton Blackburn (#8) won the Pacific Coast League ERA title last season while pitching for the Sacramento River Cats. Blackburn was added to the 40-man roster last month and will look to make his major league debut next season. Jarrett Parker (#9) still qualifies for inclusion on top prospect lists despite playing in 21 games with San Francisco last season. Parker, who hit 23 home runs in Triple-A last year, made an impact last September in the big leagues when he clubbed five homers over a three-game span. Finally, Adalberto Mejia (#10), the only left-handed pitcher on the top 10 list, logged a 2.45 ERA in 51 innings for Richmond last season before a successful stint in the Arizona Fall League. Blackburn and Mejia were key members of the 2013 San Jose starting rotation while Parker played in the California League during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Beede (#2 – same), Blackburn (#5 – dropped three spots), Mejia (#6 – dropped four spots) and Arroyo (#10 – climbed to #1) were all included on last year’s top 10 list as well. #1 Andrew Susac (graduated to big leagues), #3 Kyle Crick (dropped out), #4 Keury Mella (traded), #7 Ty Blach (dropped out), #8 Hunter Strickland (graduated to big leagues) and #9 Matt Duffy (graduated to big leagues) from last year’s list are no longer considered top 10 prospects by Baseball America.

Joe Ritzo is a great guy to follow for San Jose Giants news.

Baseball America released it's Giants top 10 prospect list, which was the inspiration for this article. Pretty good list, I personally wouldn't rank Coonrod that high, probably switch spots with Mejia. I'd also switch Parker and Williamson (J.J. Cooper, who ranked, said Williamson ranked 11th).

Seeing Fox up there is acknowledging his high ceiling, probably the highest in the system. I won't rank him that high until he plays.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 prospect list's so far:

Baseball America: San Francisco Giants Top 10 Prospects - BaseballAmerica.com

1. Christian Arroyo, ss
2. Tyler Beede, rhp
3. Phil Bickford, rhp
4. Lucius Fox, ss
5. Chris Shaw, 1b
6. Sam Coonrod, rhp
7. Aramis Garcia, c
8. Clayton Blackburn, rhp
9. Jarrett Parker, of
10. Adalberto Mejia, lhp

Baseball Prospectus: Baseball Prospectus | 2016 Prospects: San Francisco Giants Top 10 Prospects

MLB Pipeline 30(this one will be updated): MLB.com 2015 Prospect Watch

1. RHP Tyler Beede
2. SS Christian Arroyo
3. RHP Phil Bickford
4. SS Lucius Fox
5. RHP Samuel Coonrod
6. RHP Kyle Crick
7. SS Jalen Miller
8. 1B Chris Shaw
9. LHP Steve Okert
10. LHP Josh Osich

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus is quite critical of the Giants farm system, saying this is "the weakest San Francisco system is years". Meanwhile, Baseball America is more bullish on the Giants farm system, saying it's at least middle of the pack.

I agree more with BA than BP on this one. Sure, the Giants don't have a top 10 overall prospect (Arroyo should be a top 70 guy, maybe 50), but they have a very deep system that is full of potential ML contributors in 2016. And that is the most important part, right? Mejia, Blackburn, Okert, Black, Parker, Williamson could all contribute to the big club next year, Beede Arroyo, Shaw, Chase and Jordan Johnson by 2017.

BP putting Crick at 8 is a huge oversight to me as well, he does not belong on any top lists after last season. Meanwhile they talk about the lack of high-ceiling players in the system, but fail to mention Jordan and Chase Johnson, 2 guys with arguably the highest end rotation stuff in the system, particularly Jordan.

I think the Giants system belongs in the 17-14 range, elevated by the fact that the Giants have tons of ML ready contributors, dinged by the fact they lack "sexy" prospects.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Prospectus is quite critical of the Giants farm system, saying this is "the weakest San Francisco system is years". Meanwhile, Baseball America is more bullish on the Giants farm system, saying it's at least middle of the pack.

I agree more with BA than BP on this one. Sure, the Giants don't have a top 10 overall prospect (Arroyo should be a top 70 guy, maybe 50), but they have a very deep system that is full of potential ML contributors in 2016. And that is the most important part, right? Mejia, Blackburn, Okert, Black, Parker, Williamson could all contribute to the big club next year, Beede Arroyo, Shaw, Chase and Jordan Johnson by 2017.

BP putting Crick at 8 is a huge oversight to me as well, he does not belong on any top lists after last season. Meanwhile they talk about the lack of high-ceiling players in the system, but fail to mention Jordan and Chase Johnson, 2 guys with arguably the highest end rotation stuff in the system, particularly Jordan.

I think the Giants system belongs in the 17-14 range, elevated by the fact that the Giants have tons of ML ready contributors, dinged by the fact they lack "sexy" prospects.
I assume BP also said we were bare last year (thanks Duffy, Susac, Heston, Parker, Osich, Kontos, etc) and the year before (thanks Panik and Strickland).

The "experts" completely disregard the DEPTH of this system. The Twins may have 3 $5 lottery tickets, but we have 30 $2 tickets. Who is more likely to find gems?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume BP also said we were bare last year (thanks Duffy, Susac, Heston, Parker, Osich, Kontos, etc) and the year before (thanks Panik and Strickland).

The "experts" completely disregard the DEPTH of this system. The Twins may have 3 $5 lottery tickets, but we have 30 $2 tickets. Who is more likely to find gems?

Exactly. I don't know why it's such an overlooked fact. Guys don't even have to be gems, just players like Kelby who step in and make an injury not a problem. Not every prospect has to be like Kris Bryant. It's nice, and definitely separates good systems from great systems. But not having any sexy prospects doesn't make a system bad, as BP is suggesting.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize in advance for the long post that is incoming. Every few years, I like to rank the top prospects by position, to kind of give a view of the state of the organization. After I rank the top players by position, I'm going to put each player into tiers. The tiers are based off of overall numbers, scouting reports I've read, videos I've seen, live action I've seen, pedigree, and projection. Most of these players will end up being busts, or Tier V guys, but I like tiers because it gives a solid indicator of where the player is currently at. Obviously this is all my opinion (like the whole line of work), but at the very least if you don't agree with me it gives names to look out for in the upcoming season. They will be ranked by the following:

Tier I: elite, top of position player, ace
Tier II: All-Star caliber, top of rotation pitcher, "closer"
Tier III: above-average everyday player, mid-rotation starter, above average reliever
Tier IV: utility player, 4th OFer, back-end rotation starter, LOOGY/ROOGY
Tier V: depth, AAAA player

Also next to their names will be the projected levels the player will see (AAA/AA/A+/A/A-/AZL/DSL). Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher:
1. Aramis Garcia Tier III (A+/AA)
2. Trevor Brown Tier V (AAA/MLB)
3. Matt Winn Tier V (A/A+)

Giants are in good hands with Susac and Posey right now, and they have another excellent catching prospect on the mend. Garcia is a bat-first catcher, with above-average power for a catcher. Great eye for hitting. Needs a lot of work on defense though, great arm strength and showed excellent 2.0-2.2 pop time consistently (time from when catcher is in squat to throwing to a base), but he seems to lack the instincts and reaction time for catchers. Defense has drastically improved since he was drafted, but he has a ways to go. Matt Winn is a defensive specialist, and anything he can develop with the bat is gravy. Trevor Brown is a MLB backup catcher.

1st Base:
1. Chris Shaw Tier III (A+)
2. Ricky Oropesa Tier V (AAA)
3. Brian Ragira Tier V (AA)

Chris Shaw's defensive limitations caps his ceiling in the NL, but he has true 30+ homer upside with a high OBP potential. His raw power is right up there with Bryant, Schwarber types, but he doesn't make as much contact therefore again limiting his upside. Whether he ends up at 1st or LF, his bat is what will get him to the bigs and he's a legit middle of the order, tier II bat. He should be a fast riser too, he'll skip Augusta and go straight to San Jose. If he crushes it there, he could even end up in Richmond. Below Shaw, it's a steep drop off. Oropesa's power potential keeps him afloat as a platoon, bench bat. Ragira is a college bat, who got worse after repeating San Jose. Gets a pass because he still has nice tools, but he'll end up as organizational depth.

2nd Base:
1. Austin Slater Tier IV (AAA)

Okay, I kinda cheated here. The Giants are loaded in the middle infield, especially in the lower minors. Most are currently shortstops, but not all are going to stick. It's tough now to know what the Giants have planned for some of these guys the upcoming season, so I'm not going to designate some guys as future second baseman. I will speculate though. Kelby Tomlinson just barely accumulated enough PT to be considered a veteran, so at the moment, Slater is probably the closest thing to a high-profile prospect at second, but he's also going to play outfield. His bat and versatility will get him to the bigs. I'm honestly surprised he doesn't switch hit. He's a super-sub. He's a similar batter to Duffy, quick, compact stroke. Less raw power.

Shortstop:
1. Christian Arroyo Tier II (AA/AAA)
2. Lucius Fox Tier III (AZL/A-/A)
3. Jalen Miller Tier III (AZL/A-/A)
4. Kelvin Beltre Tier IV (AZL/A-/A)
5. C.J. Hinojosa Tier IV (A/A+)

Arroyo is the class of the system, a consensus number one. He has an incredible bat, and he keeps getting stronger. He's actually stronger than the Giants anticipated, to a point where he could move to LF at some point. The talk is that in 2016, he will split time between shortstop and second base, and is expected to reach AAA by the end of the year. He's still a little too aggressive at the plate, but he barrels up everything and there's some thought 50+ XBH power. His path to the bigs will be at 2B, 3B or LF and his PT in the minors is clear. The rest of the group is immensely talented, but no one except the Giants know where these guys will start the season. Fox is the best athlete in the system and possibly the highest ceiling guy. I think he projects fantastically in CF, where he could use his athleticism to his full potential. He's a top of the order bat. For the time being, he'll stick at SS. He's not a typical international signing where he'll take time to reach the states, he's played in America in high school, therefore he could start on a full-season team. I think it's still more likely though (given the talent at the SS position around him) that he starts in extended Spring Training, moves on to the Arizona Summer league and maybe finishes in Salem. Or, given his background, I wouldn't be surprised that he jumps all the way to Augusta. Miller is another great athlete who probably projects better at 2B or CF as he gets bigger. He has more power potential than Fox, but very similar skill set. Signed out of high school, he could be taken slow, repeat AZL and move on to Salem. I think it's more likely though that he moves on to Augusta and forms a DP combo with Beltre. Beltre has already move around on defense in his short career. The bat is farther ahead of Miller's and Fox's, but his defense isn't as high. Future utility player. Hinojosa had a dreadful college experience, but he was highly touted in High School and a top Freshman of the year candidate. His limited pro experience has been smooth. Bat first, aggressive hitter. I think he'll make the jump all the way to San Jose, but is a candidate to move to 2nd or LF down the line.

3rd Base:
1. Miguel Gomez Tier IV (A+/A)
2. Jonah Arenado Tier IV (A+)
3. Ryder Jones Tier V (AA/A+)

Remember all that weight Panda lost that one season? Well, it fused together again to make a 5-11 185 pound version of it's former self. Miguel Gomez is seriously a lighter Panda clone. Extremely aggressive at the plate (5 BBs in 276 ABs), but puts the bat on the ball (only 24 K's) and gets hits. He's old for the league, but he was a late bloomer signee in 2011. He's a switch hitter, plays 3rd base and catches more than on occasion. Rough defensively on both ends, but it will be his bat that gets him to the bigs. I think he'll see an aggressive promotion to San Jose. Arenado, younger brother of Nolan, had a real nice start in Augusta last year with the bat, but really tailed off the second half. His defense is no where near his brothers', and he'll likely eventually move to 1st. He's still really young, and he put up 35 XBH in Augusta, which is impressive. A more hitter friendly environment in San Jose could be beneficial to him. Ryder Jones was right up there with Arroyo when he was drafted as the future of the Giants. He's fallen behind as the bat still hasn't really developed yet. Injuries have been a factor. Still young, he's got time to get on track, but guys are coming for him. He might not be ready for AA, but the guys behind him might force him to move up.

-------