• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Top Prospects

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thx for the postings, Stokes - interesting reading. It does royally piss me off when 'rankings' contain so many guys just drafted with very little (if any!) pro experience listed high in the rankings. This year contains FOUR. It just pisses me off.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thx for the postings, Stokes - interesting reading. It does royally piss me off when 'rankings' contain so many guys just drafted with very little (if any!) pro experience listed high in the rankings. This year contains FOUR. It just pisses me off.

Yeah, I am not pissed, exactly, but surprised. To see on one list Osich at #10 and Crick at #6 (mlb.com) (I think), is just laughable. I suppose Duffy still won't crack the top 25 in Giants prospects on some lists. :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am not pissed, exactly, but surprised. To see on one list Osich at #10 and Crick at #6 (mlb.com) (I think), is just laughable. I suppose Duffy still won't crack the top 25 in Giants prospects on some lists. :noidea:
???

Duffy isn't on my list.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

Duffy isn't on my list.

Refering to the top players on the MLB.com site. My reference to Duffy is that the national media are pretty clueless about the Giants' org depth, and probably think Duffman is a fluke. He may well be, but I think he's a solid player who has a bright future.

MLB.com 2015 Prospect Watch

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They do it every year, routinely. I just don't get why fans don't call them on this BS. "Oh, he's got such a high ceiling" is ludicrous. Most of these "high ceiling" guys with no pro experience on the lists never even sniff the majors and drop off the lists in 2 or 3 years.

Concerning Duffy : There's a good reason Duffy isn't on any of the lists - these are *prospect* rankings. Once a player no longer has rookie status (like Duffy) he will no longer appear on any of these lists.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do it every year, routinely. I just don't get why fans don't call them on this BS. "Oh, he's got such a high ceiling" is ludicrous. Most of these "high ceiling" guys with no pro experience on the lists never even sniff the majors and drop off the lists in 2 or 3 years.

Concerning Duffy : There's a good reason Duffy isn't on any of the lists - these are *prospect* rankings. Once a player no longer has rookie status (like Duffy) he will no longer appear on any of these lists.

OK, OK, I know Duffy isn't on the list anymore. I was joking about the ineptitude of these lists. To be fair, it is very difficult to judge the talent for each team. Some of the "can't miss" guys never make it. Some of the "never make it" guys wind up not only making it, but becoming stars. 'Tis an art, not a science.

:D

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a FANTASTIC article and this makes me EXTREMELY hopeful for the future of our pen. I was worried as to what it would look like post Affeldt, Cya, Romo, LOOGY...interesting that we may have Romo v2.0 in Rogers. I especially like that we have guys that have been thrust into post season situations already and have excelled.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The official blog of the San Jose Giants, Class A Advanced affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.
Prospect Rankings

By Joe Ritzo
Several former San Jose Giants have found themselves on recently released top prospect lists:
Baseball America Top 10 SF Giants Prospects
1. Christian Arroyo, SS
2. Tyler Beede, RHP
3. Phil Bickford, RHP
4. Lucius Fox, SS
5. Chris Shaw, 1B
6. Sam Coonrod, RHP
7. Aramis Garcia, C
8. Clayton Blackburn, RHP
9. Jarrett Parker, OF
10. Adalberto Mejia, LHP
MLB.com Top 10 SF Giants Prospects
1. Tyler Beede, RHP
2. Christian Arroyo, SS
3. Phil Bickford, RHP
4. Lucius Fox, SS
5. Sam Coonrod, RHP
6. Kyle Crick, RHP
7. Jalen Miller, SS
8. Chris Shaw, 1B
9. Steven Okert, LHP
10. Josh Osich, LHP
Baseball Prospectus Top 10 SF Giants Prospects
1. Christian Arroyo, SS
2. Lucius Fox, SS
3. Tyler Beede, RHP
4. Jalen Miller, SS
5. Phil Bickford, RHP
6. Sam Coonrod, RHP
7. Chris Shaw, 1B
8. Kyle Crick, RHP
9. Aramis Garcia, C
10. Adalberto Mejia, LHP

* Christian Arroyo’s fantastic 2015 season in San Jose has elevated the shortstop on these top prospect lists. Arroyo is now the #1 prospect in the system according to Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus and #2 by MLB.com (behind Tyler Beede). Arroyo though is not the only shortstop in the system who is garnering elite prospect status. Lucius Fox, the 18-year out of the Bahamas who inked a $6 million signing bonus with the Giants last summer, is a consensus top 5 prospect. Baseball Prospectus gives Fox his highest rating at #2. 2016 will mark his debut professional season. Meanwhile, Jalen Miller, San Francisco’s third round pick last June, was included on the MLB.com and BP top 10 lists. Miller played in the Arizona Rookie League last summer after signing his professional contract. Fox and Miller (19 years old) are still teenagers, so it’s unlikely either will see time in San Jose this upcoming season, but both should be exciting prospects to watch at Municipal Stadium in the future.
* Former SJ Giant Tyler Beede is the highest rated pitching prospect on all three lists. He tops out at #1 on the MLB.com list while he’s #2 according to Baseball America and #3 for Baseball Prospectus.
* Kyle Crick has spent the last few years widely considered one of top 1-2 pitching prospects in the system, but saw a significant drop in his status after 2015. Crick posted a solid 3.29 ERA for Double-A Richmond last year, but averaged over a walk per inning pitched and was moved to the bullpen midseason. He dropped to #6 on the MLB.com list, #8 according to Baseball Prospects and completely out of Baseball America’s top 10.
* Starting pitcher Sam Coonrod and first baseman Chris Shaw are top 10 prospects who could possibly open the 2016 season in San Jose. Coonrod, who joined the SJ Giants from Augusta for the playoffs last September, was rated either #5 or #6 on all three lists. Shaw, last year’s supplemental first round draft pick, is also on all three lists with a high of #5 (BA). Shaw led the Short-Season Northwest League with 12 home runs last summer and could make the jump all the way to the Cal League at some point this year. Catcher Aramis Garcia, who cracked the top 10 for both BA and BP, is another possibility to open the year in San Jose. Finally, 2015 first round draft pick Phil Bickford is a unanimous top 5 prospect. Bickford has yet to pitch above rookie-ball, but could be in contention for a San Jose roster spot this spring.
Here is my top 10 list entering the 2016 season:
1. Christian Arroyo
2. Tyler Beede
3. Phil Bickford
4. Mac Williamson
5. Lucius Fox
6. Clayton Blackburn
7. Adalberto Mejia
8. Sam Coonrod
9. Kyle Crick
10. Chris Shaw
Just missed the cut: Ray Black, Aramis Garcia, Derek Law, Jalen Miller, Andrew Suarez
The big difference is my inclusion of former San Jose outfielder Mac Williamson all the way at #4. None of BA, BP or MLB.com have Williamson even in their top 10’s. Former San Jose starting pitchers Clayton Blackburn and Adalberto Mejia are also rated higher by me than any of the publications.
For reference, my top 10 list entering 2015 was: 1. Kyle Crick (moved down nine spots this year), 2. Tyler Beede (same), 3. Andrew Susac (graduated to MLB), 4. Christian Arroyo (up to #1), 5. Adalberto Mejia (down two spots), 6. Mac Williamson (up two spots), 7. Clayton Blackburn (up one spot), 8. Daniel Carbonell (dropped out), 9. Keury Mella (traded), 10. Hunter Strickland (graduated to MLB).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projecting the 2016 Roster – Who makes the jump from Short-Season ball?

Projecting the 2016 Roster – Who makes the jump from Short-Season ball?

By Joe Ritzo
The majority of the players on the 2016 opening day roster will have spent last season with Class-A Augusta and/or in San Jose. Recently, I took a look at some of the most likely candidates from the 2015 Giants squad to return to the California League this year.
However, every season there are always a small handful of players that skip straight over Augusta and arrive in San Jose directly from the Short-Season level. Tyler Beede and Austin Slater, for example, did it last year and each were All-Star performers with the Giants.
Who might those players be in 2016? Here are five prospects that were in Salem-Keizer at the end of last season who could jump all the way to the SJ Giants in April:
Steven Duggar, OF
Duggar didn’t technically end last season in Salem-Keizer as he earned a surprise promotion to San Jose at the start of the Championship Series when the Giants roster had suddenly been gutted due to injury and other player movement. Duggar was San Francisco’s sixth round pick last June out of ACC power Clemson. After signing his pro contract, Duggar was sent to Salem-Keizer where he served as the Volcanoes’ everyday right fielder last season. In 58 games, he hit a solid .293 with 12 doubles, one home run, 27 RBI’s and six stolen bases. Though it didn’t result in many stolen base attempts last summer (9), Duggar is regarded as having plus-speed, something that was very evident during his limited playing time during the Cal League playoffs. Duggar is a solid all-around player with a line drive stroke, power potential, a good eye at the plate (he drew 35 walks in 58 games with Salem) and excellent defensive skills. A strong spring training could certainly push Duggar past Augusta and to the California League this year. Duggar is currently rated the fourth-best outfield prospect in the system by MLB.com (#29 overall prospect).
Miguel Gomez, 3B/C
Gomez made headlines within the organization last summer when he hit safely in 22 straight games to set a Salem-Keizer franchise record. He finished the season with a league-leading 52 RBI’s to go with 14 doubles, six home runs and an impressive .319 batting average. Gomez’s fantastic year earned him Northwest League All-Star honors. He’s no stranger to success though as Gomez was honored as the MVP of the Dominican Summer League in 2014 and owns a career minor league batting average over .300 in four seasons. Originally signed as an international free agent by the Giants out of the Dominican Republic, Gomez is a contact hitter who was the toughest to strikeout in the Northwest League last season. The 23-year old split time between third base, catcher and DH with the Volcanoes and has previous professional experience at first base. That versatility could make him an invaluable member of the San Jose Giants, perhaps as soon as this spring.
C.J. Hinojosa, SS
Hinojosa was San Francisco’s 11th round draft pick last June out of the University of Texas. Regarded as one of the top college prospects in the country entering 2015, Hinojosa fell down the draft boards a bit after a pedestrian junior season at Texas. Hinojosa may end up being a steal in the 11th round as he thrived in the Northwest League with Salem-Keizer last summer and has likely positioned himself for a look in San Jose this year. Over 48 games with the Volcanoes, Hinojosa batted .296 with a team-leading 18 doubles, five home runs and 19 RBI’s. A tremendous contact hitter who struck out only 15 times in 189 at-bats, Hinojosa certainly showed some power last year as well. He was also at his best late in the year batting at a .375 clip during the month of August. Hinojosa saw action exclusively at shortstop with the Volcanoes. He is regarded as a smart and savvy ballplayer who plays the game with great enthusiasm. Christian Arroyo is moving up to Double-A and there were no standout shortstops in Augusta last season which could pave the way for Hinojosa jumping to San Jose this April.
Chris Shaw, 1B
Shaw would be one of the headliners of San Jose’s roster if he makes the jump to the California League this season. A supplemental first round draft pick last June (31st overall selection) out of Boston College, Shaw showcased his plus-power with the Volcanoes in 2015. The slugging first baseman finished with 12 home runs (in just 46 games) to lead the Northwest League. An imposing presence in the left-handed batters box at 6’3″ and 240 pounds, Shaw also produced 11 doubles and batted .287. He’s a patient hitter who can draw a walk, but will need to cut down on his strikeouts as he climbs the ladder. Shaw enters 2016 regarded as the top first base prospect in the system. Baseball America rates the 22-year old as the #5 overall prospect in the organization. The SF Giants will often send their top hitting prospects out of the college ranks to San Jose for their first full professional seasons and Shaw would definitely fit that criteria in 2016.
Cory Taylor, RHP
The most likely players to make the jump from Salem-Keizer to San Jose this April are probably hitters (see above), but Taylor is a definite pitching possibility after his excellent season with the Volcanoes. An eighth round draft pick last June, Taylor pitched out of the Salem bullpen after signing and posted a 2.45 ERA over 18 relief appearances. The right-hander struck out a whopping 50 batters in just 33 innings while issuing 12 walks and allowing only one home run. While Taylor pitched in a set-up role for Salem-Keizer and may very well continue to be used as a reliever, he was a highly successful starting pitcher throughout his collegiate career at Dallas Baptist University. The 22-year old was 7-1 with a 3.60 ERA as a junior last spring and threw a complete-game three-hitter against powerhouse Texas in NCAA Tournament play. Whichever role he’s in this season, Taylor could be considered for a promotion to San Jose.
Others to Consider: Third baseman Jose Vizcaino, Jr. was a Northwest League All-Star last summer after batting .288 with six home runs in 48 games … Vizcaino was drafted in the seventh round last June out of nearby Santa Clara, but will face stiff competition at the hot corner from Jonah Arenado and perhaps Ryder Jones (if he doesn’t move up to Double-A) for a spot in San Jose … Lefty Grant Watson was a four-year starting pitcher at UCLA earning All-Pac-12 honors as a senior before the Giants selected him in the 16th round last June … Watson had a 0.67 ERA in 26 innings in rookie-ball last summer before making three starts with Salem-Keizer late in the season (4.50 ERA) … It will be tough to crack the SJ rotation coming out of camp, but Watson could put himself in the competition … Fifth rounder Ronnie Jebavy hit .263 with eight homers and four triples as Salem-Keizer’s center fielder and leadoff man last season … Augusta is probably his most likely destination this April, but he could force his way up to San Jose at some point during the year … Ryan Halstead (2.33 ERA, 8 SV, 32 SO in 27 IP) and Caleb Smith (3.51 ERA, 7 SV, 42 SO in 25 IP) were top relievers for the Volcanoes last season and could be under-the-radar additions to the San Jose bullpen this spring if either skips Augusta … Finally, San Jose fans should keep an eye on the progress of 2015 first rounder Phil Bickford … Bickford wasn’t in Salem-Keizer last season, but rather in the Arizona Rookie League (2.01 ERA, 32 SO in 22 IP) … A move to SJ would be a big jump over two levels for the 20-year top prospect, but it’s a possibility.

Attachments

• san-jose-giants.jpg
    san-jose-giants.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 29

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really curious to see how these lower level minors roster's shake out. There's just so much talent right now.

I agree with Joe here about Duggar, Shaw, and Gomez. I think they all make the jump. I can see Duggar as the next Brandon Belt (breakout wise). Similar skill set with the bat, plays their position well (RF for Duggar), didn't have eye-popping numbers in college. I think he breaks out in San Jose though.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really curious to see how these lower level minors roster's shake out. There's just so much talent right now.

I agree with Joe here about Duggar, Shaw, and Gomez. I think they all make the jump. I can see Duggar as the next Brandon Belt (breakout wise). Similar skill set with the bat, plays their position well (RF for Duggar), didn't have eye-popping numbers in college. I think he breaks out in San Jose though.
For all three, I think it depends on how the Giants handle the guys in front of them. Consider:

1st base - Ricky Oropesa, Angel Villalona, Brian Ragira. None played that well in 2015 but if they all break camp, does Ragira or Villalona repeat San Jose and DH?
3rd base - Mitchell Delfino, Ryder Jones and Jonah Arenado. Same as 1st base in production but something has to happen to make room for Gomez and Jose Vizcaino, Jr.
Outfield - With all the minor league free agent outfielders the Giants picked up (Blanks, Green, Lollis, Ford, Moncrief, Hernandez, Arias), there is a back up in the upper levels now. A couple probably won't make camp, but then, the guys in San Jose may repeat (Horan, Harrison, Davis). Then there's Johneshwy Fargas. That guy deserves a move up to San Jose. I think Duggar is the least likely of the three to start in San Jose.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all three, I think it depends on how the Giants handle the guys in front of them. Consider:

1st base - Ricky Oropesa, Angel Villalona, Brian Ragira. None played that well in 2015 but if they all break camp, does Ragira or Villalona repeat San Jose and DH?
3rd base - Mitchell Delfino, Ryder Jones and Jonah Arenado. Same as 1st base in production but something has to happen to make room for Gomez and Jose Vizcaino, Jr.
Outfield - With all the minor league free agent outfielders the Giants picked up (Blanks, Green, Lollis, Ford, Moncrief, Hernandez, Arias), there is a back up in the upper levels now. A couple probably won't make camp, but then, the guys in San Jose may repeat (Horan, Harrison, Davis). Then there's Johneshwy Fargas. That guy deserves a move up to San Jose. I think Duggar is the least likely of the three to start in San Jose.

Joe kinda alluded to it, but I could see Gomez as an every-day super-utility player for San Jose. Ryder Jones probably moves up to AA. Arenado probably moves up to A+. Shaw probably moves up to A+. Villalona is pretty much organization depth at this point. If Ragira has to repeat San Jose for a 3rd time, then he shouldn't be blocking anyone anyway. Gomez will get a lot ABs at 3B, Catcher, 1B, and DH, but I don't think he'll settle at one position, unless there's a trade or more promotions. Shaw could see time at DH and in the OF. Arenado will see time at 1B and DH.

But then again, maybe the Giants decide to move Vizcaino to San Jose, which means Arenado probably repeats Augusta, and Gomez/Shaw play 1B in San Jose/Augusta.

The same questions applies to SS/2B in the lower minors as well.

For the relative lack of "battles" in Spring Training for the Major League roster, it's going to be a dog fight for some of these minor league players. The Spring Camp is big for them too.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe kinda alluded to it, but I could see Gomez as an every-day super-utility player for San Jose. Ryder Jones probably moves up to AA. Arenado probably moves up to A+. Shaw probably moves up to A+. Villalona is pretty much organization depth at this point. If Ragira has to repeat San Jose for a 3rd time, then he shouldn't be blocking anyone anyway. Gomez will get a lot ABs at 3B, Catcher, 1B, and DH, but I don't think he'll settle at one position, unless there's a trade or more promotions. Shaw could see time at DH and in the OF. Arenado will see time at 1B and DH.

But then again, maybe the Giants decide to move Vizcaino to San Jose, which means Arenado probably repeats Augusta, and Gomez/Shaw play 1B in San Jose/Augusta.

The same questions applies to SS/2B in the lower minors as well.

For the relative lack of "battles" in Spring Training for the Major League roster, it's going to be a dog fight for some of these minor league players. The Spring Camp is big for them too.
I just cannot see a San Jose team that has Miguel Gomez, Aramis Garcia, Chris Shaw, Brian Ragira and Jonah Arenado on it. Too many guys sharing positions. Gomez wouldn't get many at-bats with Garcia, Shaw and Arenado all on the same team and I doubt that they put Ragira there if he's limited to being a third string DH/1st baseman.
You are right, there will be some fierce battles in minor league spring training. Unfortunately, we won't have quite the same amount of information as to how its going until Opening Day (or close to OD).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could totally see that group together, as Ragira should be moving up to AA. If he doesn't move up, then he shouldn't be taking ABs away from Gomez, Shaw, Arenado, and Garcia. He should be trying out a new position, or a depth player. With the DH, it shouldn't be too difficult to find ABs for all 4 guys.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

'Talent' in A ball or below is nothing more than a pipe dream. There is a lot of *pitching* talent in AA or AAA (last year) but (as usual) very few position players (well, actually, more than usual). While it is interesting to see and watch A-level talent, there's that old expression : don't count your chickens before they're hatched. I don't really 'believe' in anybody in A-ball. If the 'depth' is in A-ball (or lower), there really is no 'depth' (for the major league team).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Talent' in A ball or below is nothing more than a pipe dream. There is a lot of *pitching* talent in AA or AAA (last year) but (as usual) very few position players (well, actually, more than usual). While it is interesting to see and watch A-level talent, there's that old expression : don't count your chickens before they're hatched. I don't really 'believe' in anybody in A-ball. If the 'depth' is in A-ball (or lower), there really is no 'depth' (for the major league team).

Don't worry, I'm not writing Arenado in as the 3rd-baseman of the future (and Rockies killer) or anything like that. But I think you're casting the kids off a little too much. Talent in the lower minors is more than a pipe dream. It opens more trade possibilities. It gives instructors something to work with. It pushes other guys to step up their game (okay this can't really be proven, but competition is good). It gives better chances of a "hit" on a prospect.

The thing is, there is a lot of depth for the big club right now. There's probably 7 arms they could bring up and be effective right now. Most were drafted and developed by the Giants, once A-ballers. It can't hurt to have talent in the lower minors, and this is easily the most we've had since the Bonds-twilight/Pre-championship years.

Plus, it'll be a lot of fun to go see some San Jose Giants games this year.

Reactions: LHG