• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Thread

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Young Tkachuk will definitely get his 9 NHL games this season at which point a decision will have to be made. As for acquiring Elliott, it's a great move because he's got one year left at 2.5 million. He'll want to prove himself to cash in on his next contract, but if he doesn't work out, the expansion draft will expose some pretty good goalies as well.

As my lovely 5th grade teacher found out standing outside our portable one summer day, a draft can expose a lot of things :wink:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
5) Jarmo Kekeleinen didn't trade anyone at the table and asked a Terminator to pick for him. The Terminator chose a center. Not Puljujarvi. .

Just found out that Terminator was head scout in St Louis before.
aka, the guy who picked Eric Johnson #1 instead of say, Jonathan Toews

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found out that Terminator was head scout in St Louis before.
aka, the guy who picked Eric Johnson #1 instead of say, Jonathan Toews

Well, happy fucking Monday to you too!

:D

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Young Tkachuk will definitely get his 9 NHL games this season at which point a decision will have to be made. As for acquiring Elliott, it's a great move because he's got one year left at 2.5 million. He'll want to prove himself to cash in on his next contract, but if he doesn't work out, the expansion draft will expose some pretty good goalies as well.

I'd suggest Calgary get a good backup goalie dash. Elliott is best suited for a platoon situation.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd suggest Calgary get a good backup goalie dash. Elliott is best suited for a platoon situation.

I want to see what Ortio can do, Kenny, I think he can be a solid backup goalie, if Elliott can go 55 games and give Ortio the rest, that would be ideal.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the draft for my team. I LOVE the first two picks. All about upside and didn't go with the safe pick, like Lazar a couple of years ago and McLeod this year. Brown and Dahlen both have 1st line potential. Ottawa needs more skill coming through the pipeline (what team doesn't?) and these two picks address that.

I'm not thrilled with the later rounds. In recent years the Sens have done well in finding late round gems who can be impact players (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau). I don't see that from this year's group, with the possible exception of Max Lajoie who apparently is an excellent skater.

All-in-all I'm pretty damn happy with the draft. Getting Brown was an unexpected bonus.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see what Ortio can do, Kenny, I think he can be a solid backup goalie, if Elliott can go 55 games and give Ortio the rest, that would be ideal.

I know he has likely improved but when faced with playing >50 games in a season (in Ottawa and Colorado) Elliott's play has ranged from wildly inconsistent to downright putrid.

He's a good guy and I hope he works out for you guys but I have serious doubts he can be even an average starter without the benefit of the Hitchcock factor.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he has likely improved but when faced with playing >50 games in a season (in Ottawa and Colorado) Elliott's play has ranged from wildly inconsistent to downright putrid.

He's a good guy and I hope he works out for you guys but I have serious doubts he can be even an average starter without the benefit of the Hitchcock factor.

I guess that's the uniqueness of this situation though, if it doesn't work out, the Flames can probably pluck a pretty good goalie in the expansion draft next season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Brown was an unexpected bonus.

I would have been completely happy with Jarmo picking Puljujarvi and then trading away Rychel, Atkinson, ++ to be in position to get Brown. Kid is gonna be good.