• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Strickland, Kontos, Machi, or Petit count as 'graduated bully arms,' or are you restricting that to guys we drafted?
I do not consider them Giants products. And Strickland has not graduated yet. He was sent to summer school to complete some classes.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a recap of the article :

The top prospect on {the} original list was Andrew Susac, who has been recently promoted to San Francisco. Also removed from the list is Adalberto Mejia, who is serving a 50-game suspension after testing positive for a banned substance.

No. 10: Mac Williamson, Outfielder
No. 9: Daniel Carbonell, Outfielder
No. 8: Hunter Strickland, Relief Pitcher
No. 7: Keury Mella, Starting Pitcher
No. 6: Steven Okert, Relief Pitcher
No. 5: Kyle Crick, Starting Pitcher
No. 4: Christian Arroyo, Shortstop
No. 3: Adam Duvall, Corner Infielder
No. 2: Ty Blach, Starting Pitcher
No. 1: Tyler Beede, Starting Pitcher

I really don't agree with this list. First is the #1 spot. I *really* hate it when 'evaluators' place a guy high on the 'prospect' list because 'oooohh,he has such a high ceiling', and don't bother considering that the guy was drafted LAST YEAR and has virtually no pro experience. Gee, sounds like Tyler Beede, doesn't it? While the Giants have been absolutely *spoiled* in the last decade by guys 'drafted 2 years ago' (or less) who made it to the majors (Timmy & Posey, and also Belt) that very, very, VERY rarely happens and many of these 'top prospects' never even make it to the majors for a cuppa (which is why it pisses me off so much to see newbies placed high on top-20 lists).

Also, I think MacW and Strickland should be much higher on the list. Some of the guys ahead of them are described *in the article* as flailing at their current level.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a recap of the article :

The top prospect on {the} original list was Andrew Susac, who has been recently promoted to San Francisco. Also removed from the list is Adalberto Mejia, who is serving a 50-game suspension after testing positive for a banned substance.

No. 10: Mac Williamson, Outfielder
No. 9: Daniel Carbonell, Outfielder
No. 8: Hunter Strickland, Relief Pitcher
No. 7: Keury Mella, Starting Pitcher
No. 6: Steven Okert, Relief Pitcher
No. 5: Kyle Crick, Starting Pitcher
No. 4: Christian Arroyo, Shortstop
No. 3: Adam Duvall, Corner Infielder
No. 2: Ty Blach, Starting Pitcher
No. 1: Tyler Beede, Starting Pitcher

I really don't agree with this list. First is the #1 spot. I *really* hate it when 'evaluators' place a guy high on the 'prospect' list because 'oooohh,he has such a high ceiling', and don't bother considering that the guy was drafted LAST YEAR and has virtually no pro experience. Gee, sounds like Tyler Beede, doesn't it? While the Giants have been absolutely *spoiled* in the last decade by guys 'drafted 2 years ago' (or less) who made it to the majors (Timmy & Posey, and also Belt) that very, very, VERY rarely happens and many of these 'top prospects' never even make it to the majors for a cuppa (which is why it pisses me off so much to see newbies placed high on top-20 lists).

Also, I think MacW and Strickland should be much higher on the list. Some of the guys ahead of them are described *in the article* as flailing at their current level.

I hear what you're saying, but perhaps the guys who put together these lists are thinking of trade value as the main criterion? If so, Beede #1 would make sense, no?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying, but perhaps the guys who put together these lists are thinking of trade value as the main criterion? If so, Beede #1 would make sense, no?

It's Bleacher Report, the National Enquirer of sports. Occasionally entertaining, but not the stuff I would read as a GM, or even a fantasy player. Somewhere between reality and trash talk.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think right now Mac Williamson is our top prospect, or Keury Mella. The Sacramento Bullpen is in the top 10 as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Blach is the top prospect. He is MLB ready, with a likely projection as a #3. Not bad to have at the top.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big news from Giants minor league camp. Derek Law threw in his first game yesterday. Hopefully he can get back into real games soon.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new name to keep an eye on. He's received very little attention to this point, but he could burst onto the scene with a big summer.

Rodolfo Martinez, relief pitcher for the Augusta GreenJackets. He's pitching his first full season, signed out of the Dominican Republic 2 years ago. His numbers don't jump off the table at all, but there's one thing that does: he touches 101 on his fastball. He's very raw to this point, but he's got nasty stuff. Someone to lookout for.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Beede absolutely rolled through his start this Saturday. 7IP 4H, 0R, 11Ks 1BB on 86 pitches! Christian Arroyo also returned from injury and doubled in his first AB. 4-10 since his return.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Susac (MLB/AAA)
2. Beede (A+)
3. Crick (AA/AAA)
4. Arroyo (A-)
5. Mella (A+)
6. Blackburn (AAA)
7. Duffy (MLB/AAA)
8. Carbonell (AAA/MLB/AA)
9. Williamson (AA/A+)
10. Luis Ysla (A+)

June update(s)!!

The above list is SFGRTB's. I thought it might be interesting to see how the prospects are doing. I'll start w/ guys on the 40-man on optional assignment (i.e., in the minors) :

Raymond Black RHRP - San Jose
Has mostly been on the DL this season (and is there now). 3 IP.

Daniel Carbonell CF - Richmond
Is in a HUGE downward spiral : .168/.202/.206/.409

Adam Duvall 1B - Sac
Is having a pretty good year with the River Cats : .294/.327/.552/.879 with 12 HRs so far.

Joan Gregorio RHSP - Richmond
The Squirrels have made him a relief pitcher. His K/9 is down, his K/BB is up, but his WHIP is the lowest it's ever been as his H/9 is waaaay down. His ERA is over 4, but since he's pitching relief, who knows why.

Cody Hall RHRP - Sac
Having a decent year in AAA, but his numbers are not as good as they were the last two years in SJ and Richmond (which were spectacular).

Derek Law RHRP - SJ? Richmond?
He hasn't played yet in 2015 - still recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Jarrett Parker RF - Sac
Is absolutely killing the ball in Sacramento : .278/.393/.538/.931 with 11 HRs and 10 SBs. This follows a good season split between Richmond & AAA in 2014 (OPS .830). I bet we'll see him in Sep (if not before).

(I'll skip McGehee, Perez, and H Sanchez.)

Now for the prospects not on the 40-man ...

Baseball America had these guys on their top-10 list :

6. Adalberto Mejia, LHSP is still suspended for using a banned substance (diet pills).

7. Ty Blach, LHSP - Sac
is not having the greatest season so far. The Ks are down (4.8/9!), the hit rate is up (11.2/9), BUT the walk rate is way, way down. He has an OK WHIP (1.35) and a good ERA (3.82). Since he started in San Jose just 2 seasons ago, and has been promoted each year, it may just take him a little while to adjust to AAA. He's not having a terrible year, but it's not stellar either. We might see him in SF at some point next year, depending. He has to be added to the 40-man after this season, so we might even see him in Sep.

8. Hunter Strickland, RHRP

From SFGATB's list, above :

(We obviously know how Susac, Strickland and Duffy are doing.)

2. Tyler Beede RHSP (A+) had a very, very good start of the season in San Jose. Great WHIP & K/BB (mainly due to very few walks). Rumor has it he's being promoted soon, and I'd expect him to go to Richmond.

3. Kyle Crick RHSP (AA) is having a second disappointing season in Richmond. Great strikeouts, low hit rate, but way, WAY too many walks (6.6/9). Hopefully he'll find some control soon.

4. Christian Arroyo, SS (A+) WAS having a monster start to 2015 : .333/.378/.619/.997 but then was on the DL for about 6 weeks (strained oblique muscle). Just activated a couple of days ago.

5. Keury Mella, RHSP (A+) is having another great year. Promoted to SJ from Augusta this year, he's mintaining his pretty stellar numbers from the lower levels.

6. Clayton Blackburn, RHSP (AAA) is off to a slow start in Sacramento. Ks are down, BBs are up, as is the WHIP. He isn't on the 40-man, and isn't going to be added if he keeps this up. He is eligible for the rule 5 draft at the end of the year if he isn't protected.

9. Mac Williamson, OF (AA) was promoted to Richmond for 2015. He's off to a good start (.299/.361/.451/.812 & 4 HRs). Sure, the numbers are down from his last 2 seasons at San Jose, but he's moved up a level, and he's coming back from Tommy John Surgery. If he keeps it up (or improves) I'd expect him in Sacramento before the end of the season.

10. Luis Ysla, LHP (A+) is having a very, very bad start to the season. Although he's still strinking them outat an excellant rate, his walk and hit totals are through the roof - WHIP of 2.66 !!!

DrB aslo had in his top 11 :

Mikey Edie, OF - I'm not wasting my time on a 17 year old who hasn't played in the U.S. yet.

Tyler Horan, OF (A+). He is off to an OK start - still hitting for power and walking, but his AVG is way down (.231). He was on the DL from April 30-May 26.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As long as your giving rundowns on prospects.How about some insight/projections on Ryder Jones,Hunter Cole,Austin Slater and Jonah Arenado.I know they are all in high or low A ball but they have decent stats and I would like to know their projections.

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Crick seems he may be okay. I've only heard of the top 4 in that list.

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why are their major league teams whose minor league affiliates are across the country when their are closer teams. Does each minor league team have a contract with their parent team?
Yes, there are agreements that "affiliates" have with major league clubs.

I have no idea what kind of control the affiliate has over playing time or even the rosters, though. I have always wondered that myself.