• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Top Prospects

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just got me really excited to watch Matt Cain pitch again. Great story.

That was, seriously, one of the best pitched games I have ever attended. And he didn't even finish the game (pitch count). He *massacred* the opposing hitters. Lots of times they couldn't catch up to the fastball - either fouled away (late swing) or complete whiff. And when he started throwing change-ups, they were so early the fouls were line drives into the net or in the stands. Then they had no idea what was coming and most of the bats simply missed. I'll never forget that game - ever. I was also at Cain's first MLB start. He was still in "I will strike out everybody" mode. IIRC, he threw over 100 pitches and barely lasted 5 innings. He also got the loss :(. 2-1, IIRC. Great first game, tough loss (he got "Cained").

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Duvall had a walk-off homer last night in Sacramento's Opening Night. Lots of familiar faces down there, including new and old. Bowker is the everyday 1st baseman. Susac is batting 3rd, catching. Darren Ford mans CF, leading off. Duvall, Parker, Perez and Hicks are all regulars.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuckie and Eugene Escalante just got busted for PEDs. Too bad. Both were moderate prospects and this will not ender them to the org...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a link to all the MiLB rosters for the Giants affiliates.

MLBPipeline.com | MLB Prospect Central | SFGiants.com: News

Some takeaways from me:

Crick was held back in AA. He didn't do much to deserve a promotion in AAA, but he had a nice Spring and it was never really certain if he would move along or stay. For now, he's still in Richmond, along with Chris Stratton. Stratton received good reviews from Spring camp and there seems to be buzz that he has turned a corner and figured it out. The thing the Giants liked was the use of his sinker, and pitching to contact. He started the opener last night for Richmond and was solid in 5 innings, had a 9-1 groundout/flyout ratio.

Mac Williamson is in AA as well, but he's listed as the DH. Which is odd because he started in RF, and blasted a double off the wall on the first pitch he saw.

San Jose should be a lot of fun to watch again, and their pitching staff is great. Mella is there, and Beede is going straight there as well, bypassing Augusta. Beede started the opener and was great. 5IP, 4H, 0ER, 0BB, 2K. He induced 12 groundouts. Word is he worked on a 2-seamer this Spring and it was working this start.

Keep an eye on Tyler Horan in San Jose, I think he has a chance to move along quickly. He was batting in San Jose for the stretch drive in their season, and in Richmond for their playoffs. Hit 25 homers last season. Him an Mac are 2 promising corner OF bats.

Christian Arroyo was also aggressively promoted to San Jose. I'm going to try to get to some San Jose games this season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, this is huge news and IDK how I missed it, Gustavo Cabrera, who was a super-prospect about to come state side when he nearly had to have his arm amputated after a freak accident and missed all of 2014 and was doubtful to play again, was healthy to play this spring and was participating in Giants camp. He's not quite ready for everyday play and the Giants sent him to extended Spring Training I believe, but once they deem him ready, he'll head to Augusta. It remains to be seen how this injury has affected his play, there is still very little info out there, but before this injury he was a 5-tool stud and easily would be ranked the Giants top prospect. Great to seem him back out there.

FWIW, he's not listed on the Augusta roster, but if you search his name on the MiLB website, his player page comes up and it lists him on Augusta's team.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened to that young kid from Central America who got in trouble with the law in his own country? Can't remember his name. Think it started with a V.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened to that young kid from Central America who got in trouble with the law in his own country? Can't remember his name. Think it started with a V.
Angel Villalona.

He is still in the org. Currently with Richmond.

He was removed from the 40-man last year and cleared waivers (says something about where his stock is, league-wide).

I think he still has a ceiling, but his chances of doing anything are pretty slim.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angel Villalona.

He is still in the org. Currently with Richmond.

He was removed from the 40-man last year and cleared waivers (says something about where his stock is, league-wide).

I think he still has a ceiling, but his chances of doing anything are pretty slim.

Thanks. That was who I was thinking of. Several years have passed and other than the league issues, I never hear him mentioned. Didn't he come to the Giants when Alou was Manager? That was quite some time ago

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 starts in, same old results for Kyle Crick. He hasn't pitched out of the 5th inning yet. In 12.2 innings, he's given up only 8 hits, 2 ER, and has 19 K's, but also 9 BB's. In his last start, he had 92 pitches after 4 and was pulled. His stuff is so good, but he just can't keep the pitch count down.

It's early, but we may have found another nice bullpen piece in Mike Broadway. He's down in AAA Sacto, has 12 K's in 7.2 innings. The exciting part about him is he's consistently hitting 96 mph, topping out at 99 mph, and a nasty breaking ball that he uses as his strikeout pitch. His command is good from all accounts I've seen.

Between Okert, Strickland and Hall, who are all off to great starts, Broadway can be added to the list of fire-ballers who may make an impact as soon as this year, and might be a fixture of the Giant's Pen for years to come (hell, the way things have been going, Kyle Crick may be headed there too).

Here's a video of Mac Williamson hitting his first homer the other day
He's off to a decent start, a recent 2-21 skid has hurt his average, and it looks like he's still trying get his batter's eye back (only 2 BB's so far), but his defense has been great out there, and the elbow hasn't been an issue.

Stratton was off to a good start to the season, then got shelled the last inning of his recent start. Apparently the trouble so far for him is finding/repeating his release point from the stretch. He's still getting groundballs though, and his stuff is crisp.

My favorite starting pitching prospect, Keury Mella, continues to impress. 17-1 strikeout-walk ratio in 15 innings for San Jose. Tyler Beede is sacrificing strikeouts for groundballs, and it's been working out for his alright so far. He's really been playing with a sinker that the Giants suggested he try.

Rafael Rodriguez is finally hitting. The former "highest bonus ever given out to International prospect" prospect has frankly had a terrible start to his career. He has shown nothing, outside of a strong RF arm, of the lofty 5-tools he was said to posses. Well this year he's off to a torrid start, batting .370/.424/.463. Only 5 doubles though, so he's still showing little power. Still, it's nice to see him do something. He's pretty much been written off by most.

Finally, a couple of names in Augusta that are under-the-radar but have nice breakout potential are Johneshwy Fargas and Jonah Arenado (little brother of Nolan Arenado). Fargas is a speedy CFer with great speed and defense (sound familiar?), but scouts really like his approach at the plate (52-39 strikeout-walk ratio for career) and he has tremendous bat speed leading many to think there is power potential. He has good size, just needs to put on some pounds. Arenado is going to receive unfair comparisons to his brother his whole career. Doesn't have the tools his brother does, but he's a real hard worker, and he has Nolan as motivation. Plays 3rd base. Not much else to say yet, but I like his story so I'll be keeping an eye on him.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton Blackburn is back from shoulder injury. Surprised to see he was assigned to Triple-A. Making his 2015 debut tonight. I shall be there

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton Blackburn is back from shoulder injury. Surprised to see he was assigned to Triple-A. Making his 2015 debut tonight. I shall be there

On the other end of the spectrum, Daniel Carbonell is off to a horrendous start in Richmond.

One XBH (a double) in 95 PA's. Hitting .157 with a .379 OPS. Something is wrong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Blach is also having a GREAT year so far in Sacto. If the need arises, I would guess he is the next to get a shot.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other end of the spectrum, Daniel Carbonell is off to a horrendous start in Richmond.

One XBH (a double) in 95 PA's. Hitting .157 with a .379 OPS. Something is wrong.

That's about what he did in the Arizona Fall League. I was not impressed, though he did hit one very long home run.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Sacramento bullpen continues to amaze. With Cordier now in AAA rehabbing, there are 5 dominant, overpowering pitchers who probably deserve to be in the majors right now. And Derek Law is on the way as well.

As it stands right now, there isn't much room for any of these guys. My guess is Machi has pitched his way off the team, or at least they'll find some phantom injury and DL him. His spot will probably go to Cordier, because his rehab assignment is almost up.

It also gives the Giants some good trade bait at the deadline. If they are in the race, they can use some of the relievers in AAA to buy, or if they are out of it they can sell some of the relievers at the ML level.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to see some San Jose Giants games this year in Modesto. Hopefully, will get to check out some young prospects. Anyone out there to keep an eye on?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to see some San Jose Giants games this year in Modesto. Hopefully, will get to check out some young prospects. Anyone out there to keep an eye on?
Tyler Beede (SP) was our #1 pick Last year...
Christian Arroyo (SS) was our #1 pick in '13...
Ryder Jones (3B) was our #2 pick in '13...
Austin Slater (2B) is a potential prospect on the rise...
Rafael Rodriguez (OF) is FINALLY showing some signs of life...

Far from comprehensive, but tis a quick guide to some of the potential highlights...

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Headed to Sac games in Las Vegas on Thursday and Friday,I want to see Duval and some of the pitchers in person and see if there is help coming.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3