• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Top Prospects

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Beede (SP) was our #1 pick Last year...
Christian Arroyo (SS) was our #1 pick in '13...
Ryder Jones (3B) was our #2 pick in '13...
Austin Slater (2B) is a potential prospect on the rise...
Rafael Rodriguez (OF) is FINALLY showing some signs of life...

Far from comprehensive, but tis a quick guide to some of the potential highlights...

I will take this list with me.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take this list with me.

Keury Mella (SP) should be entertaining. Hunter Cole and Dylan Davis are 2 outfielders to keep an eye on. Davis is a power guy, out of Oregon State. Cole has been impressive so far, he's athletic and has a nice swing.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keury Mella (SP) should be entertaining. Hunter Cole and Dylan Davis are 2 outfielders to keep an eye on. Davis is a power guy, out of Oregon State. Cole has been impressive so far, he's athletic and has a nice swing.

Thanks. I will check on these guys too. Not sure who will be there then. Zito pitched there once for a rehab assignment and the media made a big deal out of it

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I will check on these guys too. Not sure who will be there then. Zito pitched there once for a rehab assignment and the media made a big deal out of it

Hopefully Arroyo will be back. I think he has a real chance to be something special. I'm eager to see him at some point.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Arroyo will be back. I think he has a real chance to be something special. I'm eager to see him at some point.

I look forward to watching them. Some of these guys have short stays in San Jose. I was told by someone that Posey only played a short time in SJ before being promoted

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo should definitely still be there, as long as he's healthy. He was drafted out of high school, so they are going to take their time with him. Frankly, I was surprised to see him in San Jose and not Augusta again. Guy's like Posey are different. Posey was drafted out of college, and he had more seasoning. Even so though, most catchers need a few full seasons in the minors before making it to the majors. Posey was only in San Jose for 80 games. He is an exception to the rule. Most guys will spend full season at each stop, unless they are absolutely above the competition.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to watching them. Some of these guys have short stays in San Jose. I was told by someone that Posey only played a short time in SJ before being promoted
Not wise to look at Posey as an example for anyone. He entered the org as the #5 overall pick and the reigning Golden Spike winner (baseball's version of the Heisman). He was a stud, on a stud's path.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to seeing the young Giants. I go to a bunch of games. The tickets are cheap and the park is small. You are close to everything going on and those kids can play. Hopefully I'll get a couple of Giants games in too. A friend of mine has season tickets he sells at face value. Probably won't get to see the teams I want but you can't have it all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to seeing the young Giants. I go to a bunch of games. The tickets are cheap and the park is small. You are close to everything going on and those kids can play. Hopefully I'll get a couple of Giants games in too. A friend of mine has season tickets he sells at face value. Probably won't get to see the teams I want but you can't have it all.
At least you get a variety of teams. I am stuck seeing them beat up on the Puds...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I seem to remember another prospect out of OSU...who was that? hammmmm......

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wise to look at Posey as an example for anyone. He entered the org as the #5 overall pick and the reigning Golden Spike winner (baseball's version of the Heisman). He was a stud, on a stud's path.

Sure, what'd that bust ever do.....:dhd:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot, the SJ Giants are in town tonight but I can't go. Have to wait for a weekend game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly "prospect", but the Giants have signed two rather big names to minor league deals the last couple days...

Ricky Romero. I think this signing as been mentioned in the GDTs. He was an Ace-level pitcher just a couple years ago, but has been hit by injuries since. In 2011, he had a 2.92 ERA with a 1.13 WHIP and 178/80 in 225 IP while finishing 10h in AL CY voting. He only pitched 8 IP in '13 and did not pitch at all in '14. I suspect the Giants just signed him for some extended scouting for next year.

Today they signed Tommy Hanson. He was one of the top pitching prospects in the game for Atlanta before getting hit by the injury bug a few years back.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly "prospect", but the Giants have signed two rather big names to minor league deals the last couple days...

Ricky Romero. I think this signing as been mentioned in the GDTs. He was an Ace-level pitcher just a couple years ago, but has been hit by injuries since. In 2011, he had a 2.92 ERA with a 1.13 WHIP and 178/80 in 225 IP while finishing 10h in AL CY voting. He only pitched 8 IP in '13 and did not pitch at all in '14. I suspect the Giants just signed him for some extended scouting for next year.

Today they signed Tommy Hanson. He was one of the top pitching prospects in the game for Atlanta before getting hit by the injury bug a few years back.

Kicking the tires I see...In Sabes We Trust.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because of the comments in the article (mainly, "That means any Major League Baseball club could add him to their roster by putting in a waiver claim {...} The 29-year-old will likely learn his fate by the end of the day today", it sounds like he wasn't DFA'd. The team has TEN days to trade, lose to waivers, or (if he passes waivers) assigned outright to the minor leagues once DFA'd. The waiver process takes a max of either 48 or 72 hours (depending on the type of waiver). If he is lost to waivers this quickly, he wasn't DFA'd, he was placed on outright waivers. Now, if he's *traded* and not claimed on waivers, he was definitely DFA'd.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Black is back. He had been pitching in extended spring training. I'm trying not to get too excited for a guy who just can't stay healthy, but it's really hard not to get excited about a guy who can throw an easy 100 mph, and then drop in a nasty 77 mph breaking pitch.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not well versed in our current minor league production. Can any of you HFs offer me an idea of what SP depth outside of recently signed Romero and Hanson that we may have ready to go THIS season? I know many of the names, just struggling to find time to keep up with our minor league affiliates this season...

And is it just me or does it seem like we figured out the matrix on drafting and developing bully arms?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not well versed in our current minor league production. Can any of you HFs offer me an idea of what SP depth outside of recently signed Romero and Hanson that we may have ready to go THIS season? I know many of the names, just struggling to find time to keep up with our minor league affiliates this season...

And is it just me or does it seem like we figured out the matrix on drafting and developing bully arms?
We have 2 more SPs that will likely be ready at some point this season. Ty Blach (pronounced block) and Clayton Blackburn. Both are legit prospects, but probably not Ace material.

Our bully prospects look good. We probably have 5 guys in Sacramento who could/should be in the bigs right now (Broadway, Cordier, Hall, Strickland, Okert). We had to DFA Cordier yesterday, and he will almost certainly be claimed and placed on a major league roster within the next few days.

That said, the Giants have actually not graduated a bully arm in quite some time. I think Romo and Wilson were the last two. Of course, the Giants have been able use the farm bully to fill spots through trades (Turpin for Ramirez in '10; Hembree and Escobar for for Peavy in '14; Pucetas for Guillen in '10; etc). They have also had a few of their cast offs hit big for other teams (Otero in Oakland is probably the best, most recent example).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 2 more SPs that will likely be ready at some point this season. Ty Blach (pronounced block) and Clayton Blackburn. Both are legit prospects, but probably not Ace material.

Our bully prospects look good. We probably have 5 guys in Sacramento who could/should be in the bigs right now (Broadway, Cordier, Hall, Strickland, Okert). We had to DFA Cordier yesterday, and he will almost certainly be claimed and placed on a major league roster within the next few days.

That said, the Giants have actually not graduated a bully arm in quite some time. I think Romo and Wilson were the last two. Of course, the Giants have been able use the farm bully to fill spots through trades (Turpin for Ramirez in '10; Hembree and Escobar for for Peavy in '14; Pucetas for Guillen in '10; etc). They have also had a few of their cast offs hit big for other teams (Otero in Oakland is probably the best, most recent example).

Do Strickland, Kontos, Machi, or Petit count as 'graduated bully arms,' or are you restricting that to guys we drafted?