• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Fantasy Trend Watch

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the ADP and consensus rankings, many players are ranked/drafted as you may expect. Of course there are some minimal variations based on personal preference.

That said, there are quite a number of players that seem to be trending upwards (over-valued) and others are trending down (under-valued). Here's my view on a few:

OVER VALUED
(numbers are based on overall value)
AP (ADP=3, consensus=3) - He may hold out. Seems to be more of risk at this point for such a high selection.
Odell Beckham (ADP=11, consensus=11) - Yeah, he was phenomenal in 7 games last year. But how often do we see players with a limited body of work struggle the following year as teams plan better at defending them.
Mike Evans (ADP=27, consensus=25) - Had a real good year in 2014. But now he has a rookie QB and OC that favors running, and the TE.
Jimmy Graham (ADP=29, consensus=32) - goes from a Saints team that ranked 3rd passing to a Hawks team that ranked 27th. A difference of 1300 yards. I'm skeptical. Plus teams figured out how to defend him.
Todd Gurley (ADP=51, consensus=52) - ACL recovery issues pending. And we're talking redraft leagues for a guy who may end up on the PUP and miss 6 games which is nearly half a fantasy season.
Brandon Marshall (ADP=53, consensus=50) - Geno Smith. Need I say more.
Darren McFadden (ADP=52, consensus=89) - The consensus ranking is more realistic. Especially with the rumor that favors Randle as the starter.
TJ Yeldon (ADP=61, consensus=54) - Yes, he lands in a favorable position to start. But it is a sputtering Jacksonville offense. And talent doesn't necessarily equal success.
Julius Thomas (ADP=73, consensus=87) - No way does he hit double-digit TD in Jacksonville like he did in Denver.

UNDER VALUED
TY Hilton (ADP=25, consensus=28) - High-powered offense with a steady QB. Those are better conditions than a few other WR being drafted ahead of him.
Frank Gore (ADP=33, consensus=37) - So he's old. He continually defies the odds and produces. And now he takes over where the inept trio of Trent Richardson, Dan Herron and Ahmad Bradshaw combined for 1300 rushing yards.
Jeremy Maclin (ADP=62, consensus=67) - Maybe he doesn't belong here? Or maybe Dwayne Bowe wasn't that good? But he could be a steal as the 27th WR taken.
Cam Newton (ADP=74, consensus=55) - Up until last year, consistently finished as a top 5 QB. And last year he played hurt and still did admirably, finishing ranked 16th.
Larry Fitzgerald (ADP=102, consensus=83) - Carson Palmer is back and Fitz has great hands. Nice value as a WR2.
Steve Smith Sr. (ADP=93, consensus=88) - Pitta is a question mark, and on the other side is a rookie. Add in the historic results of a first-year Trestman offense and even with limited targets, could easily rack up WR2 numbers.
Doug Martin (ADP=92, consensus=102) - All attention seems to be on Sims who actually had 2 games of negative rushing yards last year. Plus Lovie is a poor judge of talent, and it may not take long for Koetter to give Martin more touches by default.

I may revisit this in a few more weeks to either add players, or remove them.

Thoughts?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your spot on for most of v them.
Only take issue with the Jimmy Graham comments. I'm not so sure teams figured out how to defend him, rather , the Bucks stuck Revis on him, which worked for the most part. Not every team has a Revis..and in that division, the only team who does. .is Seattle. Plus, Seattle has no one else consistent to throw to , so I don't see him getting anything less than maybe a 20-25 target reduction. Even though the team throws less, Graham will get a bigger percentage with no Colston, Cooks, Stills, Moore, Sproles/Thomas/Bush to share with.

I think he's set for a career year, maybe not in receptions, but definitely in TD's, possibly in YPR as well.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But...even if your right about him, he and Gronk are still head and shoulders above every other TE, so a high draft spot is still to be expected. .at least in my eyes.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up Joe...I wish i had thoughts cop out I guess....hard to add anything to your very solid analysis ... i may lean towards Treff.s thoughts about big Jimmy ...

not so average Joe :clap::clap::suds::10:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar Miller proved me wrong last year, but I still think he's over valued, as I do the rookie Ajayi. The reason is Damien Williams, who I think is their best back.

AJ Green seems to be recognized as a consensus top ten (eight even). I just don't see a ceiling higher than 1100 and 6.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Hunter! Sleeper of the Year!!!

Have they found his spleen yet? :pound:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Macklin might very well be at the top of my list of sleepers.

Love to see another big year from Steve Smith too.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am one who is overvaluing Mike evans, But I see him to be a top 5 WR next year... I am so high on him... You say that their OC likes to run the ball, but they really don't have great RBs with Martin and Sims... You also use the rookie QB as a negative... They had NO QB last year, so even this rookie QB has a much higher ceiling and even a higher floor than who they threw out last season...

I also disagree about TY Hilton... With Andre Johnson, and the rookie WR they drafted in the first round, not to mention Moncrief and the 2 TEs, they are just super crowded... Plus they actually have a RB this season for as long as Frank Gore stays healthy... That is just way too many players too feed... I do think Hilton is still the number one there, and he is a playmaker, so his numbers shouldn't dip too much, but there is no reason to think he will be better than last season...

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treff & Milk, you bring up valid points.

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like TJ yeldon alot!!!!!!! Jville has alot of young talent and julius thomas will help alot and no he won't put up the numbers he did at denver,but he will be decent and no he can't block either,but i don't think jville brung him in the block,just like i dont think the seachicken graham into block,because they both can't block!!!!! Now back to yeldon i think this kid is ready to play now and i think jville will cause just a lil bit of noise .

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like TJ yeldon alot!!!!!!! Jville has alot of young talent and julius thomas will help alot and no he won't put up the numbers he did at denver,but he will be decent and no he can't block either,but i don't think jville brung him in the block,just like i dont think the seachicken graham into block,because they both can't block!!!!! Now back to yeldon i think this kid is ready to play now and i think jville will cause just a lil bit of noise .

What I fear with Yeldon, is that he is not a speed back, and is just a big plodder... a lot like Gerhart... He is just younger, and maybe has a little more talent... But I don't like when bad offenses rely on Plodders... they need playmakers, and I don't know how many of those Jacksonville has... a Plodder is only good when the rest of the offense can get the bulk yardage... So I have trouble seeing yeldon being a top 5 rookie, and see him to be at best a flex option...

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I fear with Yeldon, is that he is not a speed back, and is just a big plodder... a lot like Gerhart... He is just younger, and maybe has a little more talent... But I don't like when bad offenses rely on Plodders... they need playmakers, and I don't know how many of those Jacksonville has... a Plodder is only good when the rest of the offense can get the bulk yardage... So I have trouble seeing yeldon being a top 5 rookie, and see him to be at best a flex option...
R U serious!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COMPARISON!!!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeldon 40 yd dash= 4.52
Gerhart 40 yd dash= 4.55

Sure there is

I don't doubt that Yeldon has more talent, but I just hate slow and big for teams that don't have much offensive production...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeldon 40 yd dash= 4.52
Gerhart 40 yd dash= 4.55

Sure there is

Matt Asiata 40 yd dash= 4.87

The one, true Plodder...there is no substitute. ;)

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt that Yeldon has more talent, but I just hate slow and big for teams that don't have much offensive production...
Yep...and I'd go so far as to say I'm not completely sold Yeldon has more talent, he might, have better vision, be more elusive, be slightly quicker, but until we see him against NFL defenders, the only comparison is college career. .and college careers pretty much favor Gerhert...not to mention the Doak Walker, Arichie Griffin, and Jim Thorpe trophies, and 2nd place heisman finish in his resume, to a bare shelf at Yeldon's house. I think it's a very fair comparison.

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...and I'd go so far as to say I'm not completely sold Yeldon has more talent, he might, have better vision, be more elusive, be slightly quicker, but until we see him against NFL defenders, the only comparison is college career. .and college careers pretty much favor Gerhert...not to mention the Doak Walker, Arichie Griffin, and Jim Thorpe trophies, and 2nd place heisman finish in his resume, to a bare shelf at Yeldon's house. I think it's a very fair comparison.
Wow!!!!!!!

Dawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about anything that says Yeldon is so much better that is not even a comparison, anything at all
So if Gerhart is better he should be out Yeldon easily! !!!!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Gerhart is better he should be out Yeldon easily! !!!!

Dawg, you've got a very good point. Who will be the better running back this season, Gerhart or Yeldon?