• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015/2016 WVU Basketball Preview: The Diehard Breakdown

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back! It is that time of the year where the preseason fever runs high with dreams of getting to a national championship. I don't think the euphoria should reach that high of a peak but there is room for hope. Last year WVU had a great talents in Jawan Staton and Gary Browne who controlled the point with precision and protected the ball thus limiting turnovers. Newcomer James "Beatle" Bolden was to be the guy to replace Staton/Browne until he was lost for the season with a brutal knee injury. This puts WVU in a bad position because it forces them to use Carter or Phillips at the point--both wing players and shooters. Yet as always, Huggs will find a way to adjust--he always has. So what does this team look like when it opens the floor to start the season? Here is a guess as I see us going small and pressing much like last year:

C Devin Williams--who could be the surprise of the Big 12 this year as he a year older and wiser, improved on his free throw shooting, and has beefed up just little more.
F Johnathan Holton--this guy needs to improve for WVU to climb the ladder and compete with the top tier clubs in the BIG 12. A decent, sneaky 3 pt shooter and really good defender yet lacks B-Ball Smarts.
G Daxter Miles, Jr.--a kid with a tremendous upside. Good defender and can score. Needs to keep his mouth shut and let his skills do the talking. Anyone remember his Kentucky prediction?
G Jevon Carter--lights out shooter, good decision maker. Most likely seeing a lot of point guard play which will limit his scoring opportunities.
G Tarik Phillips--this kid can score off the bounce and is a really good defender.

THE RESERVES:

Again, we are gonna be playing 9-10 guys with this up tempo pressing style.
Macon--strong around the glass and a decent defender
Adrian--knows the system but regressed last year by poor 3pt shooting. Decent defender when on the ball in the press.
Ahmad--a freshmen who must learn the system but has a long wing span and can score off the bounce. Right now he is raw but by season's end he will be a factor in every game.
Myers--JUCO scoring machine averaging around 25+ per game. He will provide the spark for scoring when the Mountaineers need it. Questions remain about whether he can play enough defense to stay on the floor.
Paige--will give WVU another experienced body who can score and defend. BBall IQ is in the same category as Holton.

The Bench Warmers who could work their way up:

Routt--6'11 250 Freshman. Needs to toughen up to play. Most likely wont be ready this year
West--6'8 215 Freshman. Will be tossed around like a rag doll in the Big 12. Needs to gain 30 lbs.

Transferred and Gone:

Billy Dee Williams--no clue where he landed
Chase Conner--went Fairmont State where he will lay 20pts a game shooting 3's.
**Injured is Brandon Watkins--my sources say he is out for the year and red shirting.

So, there is a little breakdown on what we have to work with and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. WVU will have to play big in the middle against a few teams in the Big 12 but should be able to compete in every contest with the helter skleter pressing style of play. The newcomers will have to step up and contribute for the season to be special. My prediction is another 20 win season and date for the March dance. Again, I will contribute my thoughts throughout the season and appreciate your responses to my inane input. Let Go Mountaineers!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, thanks Diehard.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Watkins recovery/rehab is ahead of schedule, but he does not want to play a partial season. I would love to see him redshirt, hit the weight room, and come back bigger/stronger. He has a ton of potential.

From what I read, Macon looked like a different animal at the scrimmage.

Hopefully, Adrian's surgery and recovery will help him find the hole this year. We need his outside shooting.

It will be interesting to see if Carter starts or is brought off the bench. I believe he is the back-up PG, so I guess there would be a rotation like Huggs used last year with Gary and Juwan… when they were both healthy… LOL!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Esa started in the scrimmage against Temple.

CSwHRIIUEAAdo1-.jpg

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find BB. Looks like Esa may be alot better than anyone had predicted.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. I read Huggy's comments recently in which he said he's never seen a kid play like him.

Pretty big stuff coming from Huggs…

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how good the Big XII is going to be?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone know how good the Big XII is going to be?

WVU was a preseason #6 selection as voted by the coaches of the conference. I think it is going to be pretty deep.

Of course, KU looks like king of the hill again. There are some eligibility questions regarding a recruit(s)... but, they may be really good...