• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAVID PRICE IS COMING TO SAN FRANCISCO :yahoo:

Obviously not. Sabes probably check in, heard it would cost Belt+, and walked away. Can't say he didn't try! Just brace yourselves for the twitter nightmare that's about to ensue for these poor Giants beat-writers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Hart is going to the Mariners, 1-year deal. Said to have been choosing between Milwaukee and Seattle.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price will cost Belt+Crick++++

For a position that is not of-need for us.

No thanks.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure that Gardner is the type of guy I would want in return for Crick. As you stated, he is going into his age 30 season, is only team controlled for 1 year, and his upgrade over Blanco/Perez is not night/day.

I am not saying it would not cost Crick. I am just saying I not sure the Giants are improved enough to part with the undisputed #1 in our system. At the same time, We are deep enough at young arms, and Crick is not even expected to be the first of the Ubers to be ready, that maybe Gardy is the right kind of return.

Good assessment, and I agree, for the most part. I just think he is the only "available" player that would thrive in that line-up and ballpark. Plus, it would be nice to stick Pagan in LF every once in awhile. If Gardy gets injured again, we plug in Blanco/Pill and wait for Brown. I think that is better than throwing 3/$50 mil at Corey Hart or shipping Panik and Hembree to Miami for LoMo (or something in the same vein).

De Aza could probably be had for Arias and filler (Villalona?, Runzler?). I don't like Alejandro's K:BB ratio, and he is left-handed, but he actually has a better OPS against lefties than righties (.750 vs. .742). That just weakens the middle infield depth, and would only be a slight improvement over turning Arias into a rotational LF (possible?). If De Aza didn't get caught stealing as often and took more walks I would be more excited about this possibility. He is under team control until 2016, but was a late bloomer and like the others, turns 30 this season. Gutierrez would be a crapshoot. I don't even know if he wants to leave Seattle, he might be done, and I have no idea what his market value could be. Historically, though, he does crush left-handed pitching in a large ballpark (.818 OPS).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoMo is kindof a douche, and he publicly bash SF and the front office. Sabean hasn't forgotten about that I can assure you. He's also going the wrong direction, in terms of development. 2 years ago, LoMo would have cost the farm and Belt was the guy with very low value. Now their perceptions have reversed. Plus, he's a first-baseman, he's looked pretty bad in LF and the Giants have moved on from the "Belt to LF" experiment.

De Aza doesn't really strike me as a clear upgrade over Blanco/JCP. I'm a fan of Gutierrez as a platoon guy with Blanco, but he is damaged goods. IDK if he's even healthy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaand it doesn't even matter, LoMo is headed to Seattle anyway.

Mariners are making a push.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoMo is kindof a douche, and he publicly bash SF and the front office. Sabean hasn't forgotten about that I can assure you. He's also going the wrong direction, in terms of development. 2 years ago, LoMo would have cost the farm and Belt was the guy with very low value. Now their perceptions have reversed. Plus, he's a first-baseman, he's looked pretty bad in LF and the Giants have moved on from the "Belt to LF" experiment.

De Aza doesn't really strike me as a clear upgrade over Blanco/JCP. I'm a fan of Gutierrez as a platoon guy with Blanco, but he is damaged goods. IDK if he's even healthy.

Agreed. Hence, Gardner with back-up plans. De Aza is an upgrade over Blanco, and you lose next to nothing. A "clear upgrade" requires Crick or Blackburn. LoMo is an afterthought to give perspective to the available options. His defense in left isn't Willingham bad (cannon for an arm, too), but I agree that the major sticking point would be that he is an asshole moreso than his career OPS being 80 points higher than White Shark.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm liking the Brett Gardner rumors, and I hope SabeySabes is checking on Alejandro De Aza and Franklin Gutierrez as back-ups. The Yankees would probably need to ship Crick+ to convince the Indians to let go of Masterson. Would you trade Crick for Gardner?

His defense is still amazing after a short 2012, and the guy hit mostly doubles and triples in a small park. Him and Pagan would set triples records at The Phone Booth. Obviously, he is left-handed, but he hits fellow lefties close to career norms (.714 OPS vs. .740 against righties). Of course, his game is speed-based and he will be turning 30, but if his knees are looking bad when he is a free agent in 2015, no love lost. Losing Crick would be a lot, but the starting pitching and middle infield depth in the next two years will be immense. An MLB starting LF with good range is needed now.

Latest On Justin Masterson: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Wednesday: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

West Notes: Gutierrez, Young, Morse, Sizemore, Cruz: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Seven Teams Interested In Logan Morrison: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Supreme Back-Up Plan: Frenchy got LASIK and agreed to use a lighter bat. ;)

Gardner would be a huge get, but I wouldn't give up Crick. I'd give Escobar though.

I don't want Aza -- he seems to be a defensive liability. The only mitigating factor would be moving him from CF (where he's poor) to LF (where he might be average). He's also LHH, negating his OK power. To his credit, he does hit LHP about the same as RHP. I guess if the price isn't too high, he'd be a slight upgrade over Shark if he had a good season.

FraGu would be a real good move, IMO. He's a FA, so we lose nobody from the minors. He's been good in short samples the last two years and is in his prime. I wouldn't go more than two years, though.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gardner would be a huge get, but I wouldn't give up Crick. I'd give Escobar though.

I don't want Aza -- he seems to be a defensive liability. The only mitigating factor would be moving him from CF (where he's poor) to LF (where he might be average). He's also LHH, negating his OK power. To his credit, he does hit LHP about the same as RHP. I guess if the price isn't too high, he'd be a slight upgrade over Shark if he had a good season.

FraGu would be a real good move, IMO. He's a FA, so we lose nobody from the minors. He's been good in short samples the last two years and is in his prime. I wouldn't go more than two years, though.

Agreed. The Indians and Yankees don't need outfielders, but I think Escobar and Blanco would be fair for Gardy (might have to be Escobar and Runzler with Blanco or Pill used in a separate deal to help build depth). Unfortunately, for that scenario, I think FraGu just got a little cheaper. That could be the best-case scenario, if he isn't made of glass. Hip and joint problems worry me.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is how teams screw themselves:

Damn you Scott Boras! He's so good at his job.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is how teams screw themselves:

Damn you Scott Boras! He's so good at his job.

And if Sabes is good at his, he will say no.

Kendrys Morales Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Roids profile. No name player, busts out in 2009 with a sold-his-soul kind of year, injuries, tailed-off production, can't field for sh#t.

No thank you, at least not for anything significant in trade and not for the $5.25 mill he made last year.

Another DH candidate.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Giants F.O. got their wish, acquire a Left Fielder before they jump on their flights backs home today. By adding Michael Morse, there likely won't be much more big activity surrounding the Giants. There will be a few low-key signings for depth and a chance in ST, and maybe a couple of cast off bullpen arms, as well as a potential trade around Spring Training involving Pill, Abreu, and/or Adrianza and Pablo Sandoval extension talks. Team looks like so:

Bum
Cain
Lincecum
Hudson
Volgey

Romo-CL
Lopez
Casilla
Affeldt
Petit
(competition)
(competition)

Posey-C
Belt-1B
Scutaro-2B
Sandoval-3B
Crawford-SS
Morse-LF
Pagan-CF
Pence-RF

Sanchez
Arias
Blanco
Perez
Abreu/Adrianza

Thoughts?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hembree is going into camp with a job to lose, so I see only the last bully is up for competition right now. Also, JCP may lose out due to options. Abreu or Pill may take his spot on the bench.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hembree is going into camp with a job to lose, so I see only the last bully is up for competition right now. Also, JCP may lose out due to options. Abreu or Pill may take his spot on the bench.

I had Hembree locked in, but then edited it to "(competition)" because I didn't want to jinx him :whistle:

I do think it's his job to lose though.

About JCP, there's going to have to be a corresponding 40-man move to sign him so someone has to go. I saw that MorseCode won't take his physical util next week, so Sabean has some time to work something out. Who knows, maybe that was part of the "multiple pivotal points" on signings and trades the beat writers were talking about yesterday and Sabes has something lined up if Morse passes his physical. Anyway, JCP is not a lock whatsoever, but with Morse around and leaving in the 6/7th inning, we'll need a 5th OF. That's how I see it at least.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Hembree locked in, but then edited it to "(competition)" because I didn't want to jinx him :whistle:

I do think it's his job to lose though.

About JCP, there's going to have to be a corresponding 40-man move to sign him so someone has to go. I saw that MorseCode won't take his physical util next week, so Sabean has some time to work something out. Who knows, maybe that was part of the "multiple pivotal points" on signings and trades the beat writers were talking about yesterday and Sabes has something lined up if Morse passes his physical. Anyway, JCP is not a lock whatsoever, but with Morse around and leaving in the 6/7th inning, we'll need a 5th OF. That's how I see it at least.

I agree. In a option-less world, JCP makes the team. But that world does not exist, and Sabes has a history of playing the Options game to an extreme extent to keep guys in the fold (not necessarily a bad approach).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read from Hank, Baggs and Shea that the Giants do not like Ichiro anymore. They were looking to acquire him back when Seattle was shopping him, but they feel Blanco is a better player right now, or at least doesn't offer enough extra to warrant a trade.

My "no no no no no no no no" rant was more saying how inaccurate that rumor is than pleading for it not to be true. Our OF is set right now. There is no room for an aged HOF OF who is, at best, a 4 at this point in his career. If the Giants were not competing, than Suzuki would be fine as a marketing ploy. But the Giants are looking for jewelry, so he does not fit.