• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"2014 Mock Draft - Steelers War Room"

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good to see Nix back at full strength at the combine... Definitely brings him back into discussion for Rd 1 at least. I would still stick with our Mock picks though! Only thing I would change is maybe picked Ellis over McCullers in Rd 4, and used a later conditional pick for McCullers. IMO Ellis fits the bill for NT better. But if McCullers sheds that weight and becomes a good DE, then I would be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the results of our 2014 SportsHoopla Mock Draft:
(I included combine results as well as their combine height/weight)

1st Rd (15th) : Eric Ebron, TE, UNC (6'4" 250lbs)
40-yd dash: 4.60s *
Vertical: 32"
Broad Jump: 120" *
Bench: 24 reps
3-Cone: DNP
Combine Grade: 6.4

2nd Rd (46th) : Kyle Fuller, CB, VT (6'0" 190lbs)
40-yd dash: 4.49s
Vertical: 38.5"
Broad Jump: 128" *
Bench: 12 reps
3-Cone: 6.90s
Combine Grade: 5.4

4th Rd (114th) : Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee (6'7" 352lbs)
40-yd dash: DNP, but his best college 40 was 4.98s
Vertical: 20.5"
Broad Jump: 97"
Bench: 27 reps
Combine Grade: 5.65

5th Rd (145th) : Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbilt (6'0" 207lbs)
40-yd dash: Tripped during his run and got 4.70s. His best college 40 was 4.58s
Vertical: 36.5" *
Broad Jump: 127" *
Bench: 24 reps *
Combine Grade: 4.95

6th Rd (176th) : Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley (6'3" 219lbs)
40-yd dash: 4.30s * unoffical, 4.42s official
Vertical: 37.5"
Broad Jump: 123"
Bench: 20 reps *
3-Cone: 6.64s *
Combine Grade: 5.34

7th Rd (207th) : Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware (6'1" 326lbs)
40-yd dash: 5.08s
Vertical: 28.5"
Broad Jump: 99"
Bench: 28 reps
3-Cone: 7.93s
Combine Grade: 5.1

Note: Asterisk denotes top performer in their category at the combine. DNP = Did Not Participate

Discuss!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All around I think this was a very solid mock. Debatably 3 instant impact starters in this group. I know we didn't necessarily address the OL need, but we did not get our 3 comp picks for the mock because the official compensatory picks report hasn't been released yet. We easily could have picked up a few O-lineman with those picks, as well as any other areas that we may have not addressed. As for the OLB situation, we (the war-room party) felt that with the cap raise to 132mil that we could keep Worilds around. But we had prospect in mind: Shaq Barrett (ATL's).

The only pick that concerned us was McCullers, whom we picked to be a NT. At his height (6'7") he wouldn't be ideal for the position. A center or guard could easily get under his pads. But there aren't many others that are bigger than this kid. We wanted Hageman in the 2nd, but he was taken (then later we missed on Ellis & Carrethers). If McCullers were to lose 30-40lbs we feel he could play DE, but that may be a stretch. We went ahead and took another NT prospect in the 7th with Kerr.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plug n play...Ebron, he should be able to provide instant production in the passing game...I really like the thought of him being able to cause match up problems on 1st down from a two TE/ two WR/ 1 RB set with Heath...line him up tight, then split him out...if they're playing zone, either one can do damage. In a base DEF set with man responsibility, a LB or SS most likely has to take him.

Fuller...I think would get in nickel sub pkg at the very least which is now about 50-60% of the snaps.

McCullers...I think you play around with him @ NT just to see how he handles it, but I really see him being the DE opposite Heyward and just caving the G, and maybe a little B gap penetration...I don't think many OG will handle him 1 on 1. To start he would be a rotation guy I think...would love to see McLendon be freed up to play DE as the starter.

Ladler...ST and maybe some dime sub pkg.

Janis...ST, and I think he would push Moye to be better.

Kerr...situational player (the only reason I'm against Nix is because I don't see him as being much more either) I would spoon feed him some snaps on 1st down...and gradually get him into short yardage and goal line pkgs.

OL...yeah, we didn't get any depth there, but I think LT is the spot that needs to be shored up...I think we're good at OG, Pouncey returning solves the C...I'm still thinking Adams is the long term answer @ LT...Gilbert at RT, with Beachum being the swing guy.

LB...I've seen some mocks with us taking Mosley...that pick would bother me on two levels...yes, he's faster than Williams and might be a little better in coverage as a result...but he still would have a learning curve because he didn't do that much @ Bama. I honestly don't think he would beat out Williams, not this season anyway...if he were the pick I think ST is what he'd be doing in year one. We do need depth inside, but not with the 15th pick.

Outside...agree the new cap should allow them to sign Worilds and if it were me I'd go ahead and put him on the left side where he's most effective. Then if Woodley is to stay, he and Jones competes for snaps on the right side. Depth...the Colo St kid, Shaq would be a good guy to bring in with one of the comp picks or maybe UDFA.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATTENTION WAR ROOM!!!

Just a heads up gentlemen but the same guy (Nosferatu) will be holding another mock at the end of March. A lot of people wanted to do another in wake of the combine & FA period, which makes a lot of sense. They are asking for each team to have 2-3 "GM's" for this mock (Minimum of 1 lead & 1 alternate). I am going to pass the torch to anyone that wants the lead since I had the first mock. I will still participate like I did for this one, but this time as an alternate/assistant. So if anyone wants to take lead on this one then let me know! If nobody steps up then I can send out some PM's or I can take it.

A few updates on the new mock:
- They are shooting for a Monday, March 31st starting date
- Compensatory picks are announced around the 25th, and they WILL be included in the next mock

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATTENTION WAR ROOM!!!

Just a heads up gentlemen but the same guy (Nosferatu) will be holding another mock at the end of March. A lot of people wanted to do another in wake of the combine & FA period, which makes a lot of sense. They are asking for each team to have 2-3 "GM's" for this mock (Minimum of 1 lead & 1 alternate). I am going to pass the torch to anyone that wants the lead since I had the first mock. I will still participate like I did for this one, but this time as an alternate/assistant. So if anyone wants to take lead on this one then let me know! If nobody steps up then I can send out some PM's or I can take it.

A few updates on the new mock:
- They are shooting for a Monday, March 31st starting date
- Compensatory picks are announced around the 25th, and they WILL be included in the next mock

You can count me in on some level...I've got some travel time coming up at the end of the month so I'll need to see how that is going to factor before I can take on the lead role.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can count me in on some level...I've got some travel time coming up at the end of the month so I'll need to see how that is going to factor before I can take on the lead role.

Same here. I am still looking for someone to take the lead role. So if anyone is interested let me know. I can contact Nosferatu and let him know. If there is a lot of interested people, and if anyone wants to take my position as one of the "assistant GMs" then feel free! Each team can have up to 3 GM's (1 Lead, 2 Asst's). I will send out PM's to people this week to test the waters, so to speak.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I am still looking for someone to take the lead role. So if anyone is interested let me know. I can contact Nosferatu and let him know. If there is a lot of interested people, and if anyone wants to take my position as one of the "assistant GMs" then feel free! Each team can have up to 3 GM's (1 Lead, 2 Asst's). I will send out PM's to people this week to test the waters, so to speak.

I'm at least getting some inkling of what my OFC time is going to be like...we're doing a little cross role training here which is going to put me out in the field a lot more for about a month starting in April...I'll be in the office early and late without much online access in between...I think if we have 2-3 guys, form our hierarchy pick pool similar to how we did the last time and the person available make the pick or get it to the commish we should be fine I'm thinking if no one can be a real point man.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at least getting some inkling of what my OFC time is going to be like...we're doing a little cross role training here which is going to put me out in the field a lot more for about a month starting in April...I'll be in the office early and late without much online access in between...I think if we have 2-3 guys, form our hierarchy pick pool similar to how we did the last time and the person available make the pick or get it to the commish we should be fine I'm thinking if no one can be a real point man.

Well it starts in a few weeks (March 31st), way before April. If you have the time for it then that would be great. I can probably take lead again, but I was just seeing if anyone wanted to take lead. So can I put you down as an alternate or lead?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it starts in a few weeks (March 31st), way before April. If you have the time for it then that would be great. I can probably take lead again, but I was just seeing if anyone wanted to take lead. So can I put you down as an alternate or lead?

April 1 is when this training starts...the day after the draft starts...I will be in here early (8a til about 9a) then late afternoon, but probably will just change vehicles and hit the rush hour traffic...computer access again after 7p.

I can lead if that works, else alternate for certain.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
April 1 is when this training starts...the day after the draft starts...I will be in here early (8a til about 9a) then late afternoon, but probably will just change vehicles and hit the rush hour traffic...computer access again after 7p.

I can lead if that works, else alternate for certain.

Yea I was being sarcastic haha. But I'll let them know you'll be my alternate. :suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should stir up the discussion for the mock draft wish list now that FA is pretty much over. I only see PIT possibly signing two more players in FA: WR, RB, maybe DE.

We should have 9 picks in this mock (lost 1 for LY trade, gained 3 comp's)
Here's my wish list:
1. CB
2. WR/TE
3. DE/NT (BPA)
4. NT/DE (BPA)
5. OLB
6. TE/WR
7. CB
8. RB?
9. O-line

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I was being sarcastic haha. But I'll let them know you'll be my alternate. :suds:

lol...actually kind of looking forward to it...I was in sales a long time and have been wanting to get back into it on some level...this is baby steps...I know the internal operation very well, but the actual jobsite grunt work (we're a construction firm) not so much.

Our lead field supervisor will be in here...which is kind of scary. Should be interesting anyway.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...actually kind of looking forward to it...I was in sales a long time and have been wanting to get back into it on some level...this is baby steps...I know the internal operation very well, but the actual jobsite grunt work (we're a construction firm) not so much.

Our lead field supervisor will be in here...which is kind of scary. Should be interesting anyway.

So when you say sales within a construction firm, do you mean the proposals department basically? I deal with a lot of construction firms in my line of work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when you say sales within a construction firm, do you mean the proposals department basically? I deal with a lot of construction firms in my line of work.

More or less...we're a small foundation company (vertical poured concrete solutions) under $10 mil gross revenue...actually a spin off from a much larger company that went belly up.

Back then we had what we called an estimator...that was an office position. We were in multiple construction databases and all they did all day was bid on jobs from spec plans that came thru the database. This is where most of the commercial work came from. A good estimator would really only bid on jobs he knew we could be competitive.

A sales guy would be out in the field a lot more cultivating business relationships with GCs or builders. Once you had an account...we would typically get 25 to maybe 100 jobs a year from that account depending on the size of the builder. You would not estimate every job to get it because the pricing was more or less established when you got the account.

As jobs would come in from your, the project manager would lay it out per plan spec and from there the field supervisor would take over the job to completion.

Now, in this new company, it's a lot more streamlined...the estimator, sales, and project manager are rolled into 1 guy. We don't really bother too much with the database anymore because we know we're not likely to be the lowest bid. 90% of our jobs outside of the contract accounts is referred from our existing account actually.

I was in b to b sales for a long time, just not in construction, and I've been doing the estimating part for some time now. But managing the job from the dirt up I haven't, so I will be playing in the dirt for a while.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you :suds:

I've dealt with a few estimators. Like you said, primarily you only see the PM or contractors doing the bid/estimate work now.