• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Top Prospects

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are sending Gary Brown, Joe Panik and Ricky Oropesa to the Arizona Fall League. This is Panik's and Brown's second time through and Oropesa's first. Panik will be spending time at second and short.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are sending Gary Brown, Joe Panik and Ricky Oropesa to the Arizona Fall League. This is Panik's and Brown's second time through and Oropesa's first. Panik will be spending time at second and short.

They are beginning to get him away from SS...

I wonder if this shows an organizational acceptance of Fish, or an organizational weakness at 2B...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I wonder if this shows an organizational acceptance of Fish, or an organizational weakness at 2B...

Didn't Panik play 2B there last year?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't Panik play 2B there last year?

Yes, Panik played solely 2B there last year. Don't think it means anything much, the AFL is just a good time to try guys out at different spots. I've heard that he's been pretty good (as in nice improvement) at short, but could be plus at 2B.

If Crawford can stay above water with the bat, I think the G's would be satisfied with moving Panik to 2B but for now want to see what he can do.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants promoted Clayton Blackburn to high-A San Jose for their playoff series. And get this, he pitch the opening game, and he dominated.

7IP, 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 9Ks and he was really keeping the ball down: 7/2 Groundouts/flyouts

He gets the win in his debut

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 10: I left Kamp and Chez3 off my other lists because they had some taste in teh Majors, but I guess I should be keeping them as prospects.

1) Gary Brown
2) Joseph Panik
3) Tommy Joseph
4) Heath Hembree
5) Andrew Susac
6) Francisco Peguero
7) Kyle Crick
8) Hector Sanchez
9) Erik Surkamp
10) Ehire Adrianza

Lookout for Jacob Dunnington and Brett Bochy as relievers, they should ascend quickly.

Blackburn, Osich and Mejia all played limited last year, but all have really good potential as starting pitchers. Seth Rosin is poised for a breakout year, may crack the top 10 next year.

Adam Duvall and Alex Burg are my hitter sleepers this year. Duvall plays third, has a big power bat. Burg plays 3rd,1st and catches and shows a lively bat as well. And don't forget about Villalona. Reports have him in good shape, but showing some rust (former number 1 prospect).

Sleepers:

Hitting, Adam Duvall

Pitcher, Clayton Blackburn

There are many, but these 2 guys, in my opinion, have the best chance to have the biggest impact while having the least amount of attention.

Post-season top-10

1) Gary Brown
2) Joe Panik
3) Kyle Crick +
4) Clayton Blackburn +
5) Chris Stratton +
6) Heath Hembree -
7) Adam Duvall +
8) Shawn Payne +
9) Martin Agosta +
10) Andrew Susac -

The departure of Joseph hurts our power within the organization, but Duvall and Oropesa could take over that. Hector Sanchez graduated and suddenly in only 1 year, our catching situation goes from rich to thin, though Joseph turned into 1.5 years of Pence and Hector is the primary backup as we all expected.

The biggest potential impact prospects in the organization right now fuel the pitching/defense mold of team. Shawn Payne stepped up huge this year and he could challenge Brown for the CF job, Panik finished off a very solid year in SJ. Then we have a 5 headed monster that could reach the bigs in a few years, Stratton, Krick, Blackburn, Mejia and Agosta as potential 1/2/3s with Heston, Kickman and Surkamp as round-out guys then Hembree, Bochy, Hall, Ostrich and Dunnington in the Pen.

My 2 sleepers did pretty well. Duvall was the only minor leaguer to have a 30 homer, +100 RBI, +100 Runs. He was 1st in homers (30), 2nd in runs (101) and 3rd in RBI (100) in the CAL League. His .258/.327/.487 line isn't eye popping, he strikes out a lot (116) but has a decent approach (47 BBs, .351 wOBP) and was pretty unlucky (.272 BABIP).

Clayton Blackburn broke out in a big way. 8-4 2.54 ERA (1.91 FIP), 131.1 IP, 143 Ks, 18 BBs. He has high velocity sink and pounds the strikezone. He doesn't quite have the stuff to be a number 1, but he could be a solid 2/3 if he reaches.

Overall, there are some guys who can make the 2013 pre-season top 10 who aren't on here. Mejia, Oropesa, Surkamp, Peguero, Mac Williamson, Jarrett Parker, Charles Jones and the 2 international guys we signed Gustavo Cabrera and Nathanael Javier as well as if Angel Viallona comes back over. This is just a post-season look.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants promoted Clayton Blackburn to high-A San Jose for their playoff series. And get this, he pitch the opening game, and he dominated.

7IP, 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 9Ks and he was really keeping the ball down: 7/2 Groundouts/flyouts

He gets the win in his debut

(to myself)..must keep excitement tempered...

Everything I've read about him has his talent coming out in spades, including all the good stuff posted here. And he has a pretty badass pitcher's name, it would look good on an SF Giants uni.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(to myself)..must keep excitement tempered...

Everything I've read about him has his talent coming out in spades, including all the good stuff posted here. And he has a pretty badass pitcher's name, it would look good on an SF Giants uni.

I am as excited about him as the next guy, but we just have to keep things in perspective.

I am MORE excited about Crick, even though his numbers were not as impressive as Blackburn's. Crick has more pedigree (I know, that and $5 will get me a small coffee at Starbucks) and hits the gun harder.

As excited as I am about Crick, it does not compare to Wheeler, Bum, Timmeh or Cain.

Feel free to be excited, as long as "excited" means "It will be fun to see him be our #3 (at best) pitcher in 4 years".

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One man's opinion on Susac:

Another brief look in spring training, Susac was lean and athletic behind the dish. One has to wonder how the grind of a full season would affect him at the Major League level. A 95 wRC+ at 22 in the California League is a bit scary considering my expectation that college hitters should dominate the league. Entering 2013, his prospect status is a bit fringy and it’s difficult to project an offensive rebound should he be promoted to the Eastern League.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One man's opinion on Susac:

GP, think before you post.

There are (essentialy) no games to distract us for next couple weeks, so you decide to drop a piece of bloody meat into the lions den?

Smart, dude. Smart.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Un-sticky'ing.

When there is something to post, a 2013 thread can get sticky'd...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: