• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Top Prospects

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This list takes long enough to figure out already so I'll break it into 3 parts. Hitters, pitchers and top 10 prospects. The third part will be determined after debate and discussion.

Part 1- Hitters. I broke each position into a top 5 list, with the exception of OF where I included the top 10 prospects. Please provide input, for this is why it is here, to get everyone in tune with the minor leaguers. Here we go:

Top 5 Catchers: (strong)
1: Tommy Joseph
2: Andrew Susac
3: Hector Sanchez
4: Alex Burg
5: Joseph Staley

Probably our strongest position, and one to boast among the whole league. 2 potentially in the top 100. Staley is a sleeper, Burg had a big year with the bat out of nowhere. Though also one of the strongest positions at the ML level (Posey)

Top 5 1st basemen: (above average)
1: Ricky Oropesa
2: Angel Villalona
3: Ben Thomas
4: Brett Pill
5: Luke Anders

Villalona returning really helps the depth here. Oropesa will instantly have some of the best raw power in our system. Thomas another big bat, though very raw. Top heavy, but 2 potential 30+ hitters here. Again, depth at the ML level (Belt)

Top 5 2nd basemen: (weak)
1: Charlie Culberson
2: Ryan Cavan
3: Carlos Willoughby
4: Nick Noonan
5: Brock Bond

Culberson had an awful year after a big 2010, only reason he’s still no. 1 is because this is such a weak position. Cavan has a decent bat, but struggled in the second half. Willoughby has a chance to be good if he hits a little more. He had a great 1st half (.269 avg, almost a 1:1 K/BB ratio, lots of steals) but was downright atrocious in the second half. If Panik moves to second, it lifts this position a bit. We are set through 2012 at this position with Sanchez.

Top 5 3rd basemen: (average)
1: Chris Dominguez
2: Adam Duvall
3: Conor Gillaspie
4: Jose Cuevas
5: Steven Yarrow

Interesting position here. On one hand, you have big power hitters like Dominguez and Duvall and on the other you have a contact hitter like Gillaspie. Dominguez held his own in a pitchers league and looks to have legit power. Duvall quietly had a very nice season in low-A. Good power, takes the walk just needs to improve on the intangibles. Gillaspie made big strides this year with the bat and glove, even added some pop. Cuevas is young but had a very good year. Sleeper prospect in my book. ML position set with Sandoval.

Top 5 SS: (above average)
1: Joseph Panik
2: Ehire Adrianza
3: Sharlon Schoop
4: Kelby Tomlinson
5: Jean Delgado

Panik has the makings to be the next Jeter, though Freddy Sanchez with more speed is a better comp at this point. Kid tore up Salem this year, should start in San Jose and on the fast track. Adrinaza had a very nice year batting around .300 after recovering from injury. If he can learn to hit, he’s got the defense to give him a very long career. Schoop no more than a utility player. ML position has a question mark with Crawford.

Top 5 OF: (average-raw)
1: Gary Brown
2: Francisco Puegero
3: Chuckie Jones
4: Jarrett Parker
5: Rafael Rodriguez
6: Jesus Galindo
7: Roger Kieschnick
8: Chris Lofton
9: Leonardo Fuentes
10: Michael Mergenthaler

This is a very raw bunch of prospects, but loads of potential. 3 “five-toolers” (Peguero, Jones, Rodriguez), the best speed is here (Brown, Galindo, Lofton), our top prospect is also here (Brown). But overall, it not flooding with ML ready talent (Brown and Peguero being closest). This happens to be our weakest position at the ML level as well, unfortunately. The potential is certainly there though. Watch out for Jones, Parker and Galindo. Also, those 9/10 guys will be playing their first ML seasons and have just huge bodies, made for power.

Top 10 hitters overall:
2: Joe Panik
3: Tommy Joseph
4: Andrew Susac
5: Francisco Peguero
6: Ehire Adrinanza
7: Rickey Oropresa
8: Chris Dominguez
9: Angel Villalona
10: Adam Duvall

Overall, a very solid list. Even with the promotions of Belt, Crawford and the departure of Neal, this is probably crop of hitters we’ve had in a long time. With our depth at 1B, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Belt moved to the OF permanently, or a trade.

Discuss...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Rep for the work!

I thought Panik was a 2B in college.

If the kids can keep developing, and some hitting instructors teach them about patience and situational hitting, we appear to be in good stead.

I've seen a few San Jose games this year, and look forward to seeing the development at the next level. Brown will be good. ToJo is streaky, and I am not sure about his defense, he has a good arm, though, but appears a little lazy behind the plate to me. Adrianza looks legit at short, good range, good glove, good arm, no power at bat to speak of, but much speed.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting read. i dont know much about our minor league system so this was good.

i noticed you said we had speed in a kid named Lofton. Any relation to Kenny? lol

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work, Best. I also thought Panik projects as a 2b because of arm strength? I guess we'll know more next year at San Jose.

I hear that Susac kid is good.....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants said they are sticking with Panik at short (for now). But yes many believe his future is at second. The Giants drafted his as a SS and they want to see what they can get out of him. If Adrianza figures out how to hit, Panik will be moved to second and we'll just have to see what Stamos does to prove himself because Adrianza can pick it. Future gold glover (but legit, not a Jeter GG).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, Best!!

I had no idea you followed the farm like this. Almost makes me wonder if you are Marcus. :)

MAD rep

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus doesn't follow the minors as closely as Best.

Or as well. I swear with that kid every player in our system is a future Allstar or everyday above average player.

Nice post, Best!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing that study points to me us absolute black hole we have at 2B. When you had Culby listed as #1, my first gut reaction was to say you were full if shit. Then I saw the rest of your list, and tried to break it myself. Then I realized how barren we are there.

And to think we spent 2 first rounders in the last 5 drafts on the position, and not 1 solid prospect to show for it now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing that study points to me us absolute black hole we have at 2B. When you had Culby listed as #1, my first gut reaction was to say you were full if shit. Then I saw the rest of your list, and tried to break it myself. Then I realized how barren we are there.

And to think we spent 2 first rounders in the last 5 drafts on the position, and not 1 solid prospect to show for it now.

Seems like that means we should try to lock up Keppinger for a couple of years to step in for Sanchez after he's gone (2012 is his last year, right?).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like that means we should try to lock up Keppinger for a couple of years to step in for Sanchez after he's gone (2012 is his last year, right?).

I like the idea of locking Keppy up for a few years anyway. No way we can go into a season with Glass Freddy being our only option.

We do have some juggling options, though. IF Craw and/or Adrianza stick at SS, then Panik can be shuffled to 2B and problem solved. There is also the Rollins possibility, which could do the same thing.

In the end, if we only have 1 black hole position on the farm, that us pretty good. Knowing that we have 2 above average 2B manning the position at the major league level at the current time is nothing to lose sleep over.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This list takes long enough to figure out already so I'll break it into 3 parts. Hitters, pitchers and top 10 prospects. The third part will be determined after debate and discussion.

Part 1- Hitters. I broke each position into a top 5 list, with the exception of OF where I included the top 10 prospects. Please provide input, for this is why it is here, to get everyone in tune with the minor leaguers. Here we go:

Top 5 Catchers: (strong)
1: Tommy Joseph
2: Andrew Susac
3: Hector Sanchez
4: Alex Burg
5: Joseph Staley

Probably our strongest position, and one to boast among the whole league. 2 potentially in the top 100. Staley is a sleeper, Burg had a big year with the bat out of nowhere. Though also one of the strongest positions at the ML level (Posey)

Top 5 1st basemen: (above average)
1: Ricky Oropesa
2: Angel Villalona
3: Ben Thomas
4: Brett Pill
5: Luke Anders

Villalona returning really helps the depth here. Oropesa will instantly have some of the best raw power in our system. Thomas another big bat, though very raw. Top heavy, but 2 potential 30+ hitters here. Again, depth at the ML level (Belt)

Top 5 2nd basemen: (weak)
1: Charlie Culberson
2: Ryan Cavan
3: Carlos Willoughby
4: Nick Noonan
5: Brock Bond

Culberson had an awful year after a big 2010, only reason he’s still no. 1 is because this is such a weak position. Cavan has a decent bat, but struggled in the second half. Willoughby has a chance to be good if he hits a little more. He had a great 1st half (.269 avg, almost a 1:1 K/BB ratio, lots of steals) but was downright atrocious in the second half. If Panik moves to second, it lifts this position a bit. We are set through 2012 at this position with Sanchez.

Top 5 3rd basemen: (average)
1: Chris Dominguez
2: Adam Duvall
3: Conor Gillaspie
4: Jose Cuevas
5: Steven Yarrow

Interesting position here. On one hand, you have big power hitters like Dominguez and Duvall and on the other you have a contact hitter like Gillaspie. Dominguez held his own in a pitchers league and looks to have legit power. Duvall quietly had a very nice season in low-A. Good power, takes the walk just needs to improve on the intangibles. Gillaspie made big strides this year with the bat and glove, even added some pop. Cuevas is young but had a very good year. Sleeper prospect in my book. ML position set with Sandoval.

Top 5 SS: (above average)
1: Joseph Panik
2: Ehire Adrianza
3: Sharlon Schoop
4: Kelby Tomlinson
5: Jean Delgado

Panik has the makings to be the next Jeter, though Freddy Sanchez with more speed is a better comp at this point. Kid tore up Salem this year, should start in San Jose and on the fast track. Adrinaza had a very nice year batting around .300 after recovering from injury. If he can learn to hit, he’s got the defense to give him a very long career. Schoop no more than a utility player. ML position has a question mark with Crawford.

Top 5 OF: (average-raw)
2: Francisco Puegero
3: Chuckie Jones
4: Jarrett Parker
5: Rafael Rodriguez
6: Jesus Galindo
7: Roger Kieschnick
8: Chris Lofton
9: Leonardo Fuentes
10: Michael Mergenthaler

This is a very raw bunch of prospects, but loads of potential. 3 “five-toolers” (Peguero, Jones, Rodriguez), the best speed is here (Brown, Galindo, Lofton), our top prospect is also here (Brown). But overall, it not flooding with ML ready talent (Brown and Peguero being closest). This happens to be our weakest position at the ML level as well, unfortunately. The potential is certainly there though. Watch out for Jones, Parker and Galindo. Also, those 9/10 guys will be playing their first ML seasons and have just huge bodies, made for power.

Top 10 hitters overall:
2: Joe Panik
3: Tommy Joseph
4: Andrew Susac
5: Francisco Peguero
6: Ehire Adrinanza
7: Rickey Oropresa
8: Chris Dominguez
9: Angel Villalona
10: Adam Duvall

Overall, a very solid list. Even with the promotions of Belt, Crawford and the departure of Neal, this is probably crop of hitters we’ve had in a long time. With our depth at 1B, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Belt moved to the OF permanently, or a trade.

Discuss...

Great work Best. Rep (assuming I can.)

The only question I have, is do you you think you might be a little high on Villalona? The guy has had so much going on around him lately, that frankly I'd be happy if he was half the player he was when his legal problems started.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great work Best. Rep (assuming I can.)

The only question I have, is do you you think you might be a little high on Villalona? The guy has had so much going on around him lately, that frankly I'd be happy if he was half the player he was when his legal problems started.

Who would you rank above AnVil (as a prospect) right now?

Thomas? He has raked this year, but he did not come into the org with ANY expectations like this, so right now we have to view his production as a mirage.

Pill? I like what he has shown in SF so far, but the org does not really consider him a prospect, so why should I?

Anders?

I think rating him as the #2 org 1B prospect is about right.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Thomas? He has raked this year, but he did not come into the org with ANY expectations like this, so right now we have to view his production as a mirage.

Pill? I like what he has shown in SF so far, but the org does not really consider him a prospect, so why should I?

Anders?

That's who I was considering, but since I can only base my opinions on box scores, I'll defer to you guys if you believe Angel is still better.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's who I was considering, but since I can only base my opinions on box scores, I'll defer to you guys if you believe Angel is still better.

If Thomas has another HUGE year in '12, and AnVil tanks it, than sure, Thomas can be rated higher next year.

But as it stands RIGHT NOW, I think that Thomas is essentially organizational depth and Anvil is a huge flier.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anders?

I have both Anders and Mazzola ahead of him, but we'll know more if he plays in the fall league...

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very nice list.I also follow our farm closely but dont have enough time to do the rankings.I agree with almost all of your assessment except Burg needs to be on top ten hitters list.He hit nearly as well as Panik in the same league.Pill should be starting at 1B everyday to see if he can continue to rake at ML level.OF should be considered weak at best.Peguero only decent hitter at AA or above.Jones,Rodriguez still years away and Parker and Kieschnick not impressing me.Great write though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the acknowledgement guys! I think that second base is easily our weakest position but if Panik is moved there instant blue chipper. But thats also under the assumption that Crawford/Adrianza figure it out. Willoughby has a chance, but he needs to show more.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning AVill, he's apparently in great shape but yes he needs to prove it on the field. I figured 2 was a good spot for him, based on potential and experience as well