• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2011 Offseason News & Talk Thread

Natureboy809

In search of a new e-home
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, safety is a position with a big "?".

The D-line got pushed around a lot last year.

Some of the DBs got burned with blown coverage last year.

We had nearly zero pass rush.

I think the D-line & LBs have the chance to be really good this year.

Now, the defensive backfield... I don't know. It helps a lot getting Boykin back, he could have bailed for the NFL. He's a Damn Good Dawg. I hope Branden Smith will be much better & he should be improved. The rest of the guys I just don't know about.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see Branden Smith gradually move to just playing offense. We need playmakers on that side of the ball, and he seems to struggle with the whole concept of defense. Sanders Commings is listed above him on the post spring depth chart, so technically, Smith is not even a starter right now.
I look for big things from Corey Moore from about mid-season on

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's tandems to watch...

Georgia: QB Aaron Murray, WR Tavarres King, TE Orson Charles: These will be Murray's main playmakers to start the season. King moved to A.J. Green's flanker spot and showed this spring that he's ready to be the guy. Charles is athletic enough to flex out and play receiver and should be even better in his third season. Both combined for 926 yards and five touchdowns last fall.

Georgia: LB Christian Robinson, LB Jarvis Jones, LB Alec Ogletree -- Alabama might have the most intimidating group of linebackers, but Georgia could have the fastest, most athletic. Robinson is the leader in the middle and Ogletree will be a tackling machine alongside him. Jones should help lessen the blow of losing Justin Houston outside and could be a more complete player than Houston.

More SEC tandems to keep an eye on - SEC Blog - ESPN

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question to Herschel back in the day...
'Don't you ever get tired of running with that football so many times a game?"

Herschel's answer...

"No sir, the ball ain't heavy".

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BIG BAD JOHN

4de1a84be1766.image.jpg

`Big John’ indeed | DogBytes Online

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD McGarity and Assoc. AD for Compliance Eric Baumgartner were in Indianapolis for Boise State's hearing over infractions at the school.

Apparently, Boise dumped a Track & Field coach on us right before the investigation began.

It appears that T&F is where most of the minor violations occured.

UGA officials attend Boise NCAA hearing | DogBytes Online

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't like this, you're not a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been a lot of recruits committing from the state of Georgia.

Recently, a Ga. HS coach has come under a little fire from some tweets about Vanderbilt coming up by "raiding" Ga talent. Vanderbilt has several commits from Georgia, but only 1 out of the 7 or 8 held an offer from UGA.

And that's pretty much the story with the rest of schools that are "raiding" Georgia. Their have been some instances where UGA's offer might have been too late, but Georgia produces way more talent than UGA could ever sign.

The key is to sign the quality players, the players that should be playing at UGA. I think they might have missed out on 1 or 2 players up to this point.

I think there are several things that may make this class a little less... Impressive we'll say. Another thing is this class is projecting to be smaller, I've read estimates from 19 to 23 commits, which seems odd with all the players you've probably heard about transfering or getting das boot.

Also, UGA signed a lot of big time players at key positions last year and that could play big on a recruit. As I read on blog, would you want to sign with UGA if you would have to compete against Ray Drew, Jay Rome or Isaiah Crowell?
UGA signed big time recruits at nearly every position last class. That competition may scare some prospects, but UGA needs to only offer/sign players that aren't afraid of that competition.

You can't count out our neighbors, there has been a bunch of BCS titles in the area. Specifically in our conference, if you haven't heard. Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida State, even Miami and Notre Dame (of all places), traditionallly (as traditional as recruiting can be) pull a few good Georgia players, and with the talent level appearing to rise in Georgia, that will only help to increase the trend.

Basically, I'm ranting at this point, so to summarize recuiting so far it looks good and about right where it should be.

:csb:

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGA assistant recruiting coordinator resigned. There is speculation that he was forced out as a result of his involvement in several minor, secondary violations, but some also think that it solely based on poor performance this year. Right now the official word is that he resigned to move on to bigger & better things.

UGA assistant recruiting coordinator for football resigns | UGA sports blog

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1