• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2 there, 2 here with the Rangers and Rockies 8/8-8/11

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Banister would be true to his word and do away with the traditional roles in the bullpen.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, considering the previous person was obviously speaking as to taking Dyson out of the role and replacing him with an actual pitcher

But point made

Ok, well if you insist on having a traditional "closer", who works the 9th inning exclusively, I would try Kela or Bush in the role. Someone other than Dyson, because right now, I don't trust his stuff.

But the most sensible option is to see who is batting in the 9th inning and then throw out the pitcher that has the greatest chance of success against them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, well if you insist on having a traditional "closer", who works the 9th inning exclusively, I would try Kela or Bush in the role. Someone other than Dyson, because right now, I don't trust his stuff.

But the most sensible option is to see who is batting in the 9th inning and then throw out the pitcher that has the greatest chance of success against them.

I don't insist on anything, except stay with the topic at hand, its an article thats pretty obviously about roles within the bullpen, which include having a closer

You went off in another direction from the original premise without making it clear at all, that usually helps prevent confusion

I've always been in favor of the best man pitching in the highest leverage situations whether it be the 8th or 9th, who that is is going to vary from person to person

I don't know that Kela and Bush have been anymore dominant than Dyson looking at the numbers, they've had equally bad implosions in recent weeks as Dyson, but I'd be willing to look at Kela, he's looked really good minus that one outing since he came back

One guy I don't trust is Diekman, he's a disaster waiting to happen, while also looking super dominant at times... He might strike out the side or he might give up 3 runs, you just never know

I don't think its an easy call to make right now, they all have their warts

In fact the most consistent guy has been Barnette, beginning to end, and a lot of people seem to think he stinks as well

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure about that.

I'd probably rather see Jefress, Kela, or Bush in that role before Dyson personally. But I do agree no matter situation it should be best available pitcher regardless.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't insist on anything, except stay with the topic at hand, its an article thats pretty obviously about roles within the bullpen, which include having a closer

You went off in another direction from the original premise without making it clear at all, that usually helps prevent confusion

I've always been in favor of the best man pitching in the highest leverage situations whether it be the 8th or 9th, who that is is going to vary from person to person

I don't know that Kela and Bush have been anymore dominant than Dyson looking at the numbers, they've had equally bad implosions in recent weeks as Dyson, but I'd be willing to look at Kela, he's looked really good minus that one outing since he came back

One guy I don't trust is Diekman, he's a disaster waiting to happen, while also looking super dominant at times... He might strike out the side or he might give up 3 runs, you just never know

I don't think its an easy call to make right now, they all have their warts

In fact the most consistent guy has been Barnette, beginning to end, and a lot of people seem to think he stinks as well
I think Barnette would be fine in the 9th inning. We have a lot of guys who could pitch in the 9th actually. I don't see the need for a set in stone closer.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably rather see Jefress, Kela, or Bush in that role before Dyson personally. But I do agree no matter situation it should be best available pitcher regardless.

Jeffress screwed the pooch just as much as Dyson did and his numbers aren't better than Dyson's so I don't see the rationale there if the goal is to improve performance in the 9th inning

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffress screwed the pooch just as much as Dyson did and his numbers aren't better than Dyson's so I don't see the rationale there if the goal is to improve performance in the 9th inning

Maybe so and perhaps I'm kneejerk reacting. Just seems everytime I see Dyson out there he's regularly behind in the counts and seems none of his first pitches to batters are never strikes. Again forgive me if I'm kneejerking but just darn seems that way.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so and perhaps I'm kneejerk reacting. Just seems everytime I see Dyson out there he's regularly behind in the counts and seems none of his first pitches to batters are never strikes. Again forgive me if I'm kneejerking but just darn seems that way.

In fairness to Dyson he's been massively overused.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeffress' WHIP is 1.28, Dyson's is 1.17, meaning he puts more runners on base than Dyson, so yeah probably kneejerk in that case

Kela's is .92 and Bush's is 1.09, so I can see a case for them

Somehow Diekman's is .87, but I don't trust that guy at all

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffress' WHIP is 1.28, Dyson's is 1.17, meaning he puts more runners on base than Dyson, so yeah probably kneejerk in that case

Kela's is .92 and Bush's is 1.09, so I can see a case for them

Somehow Diekman's is .87, but I don't trust that guy at all

Nice to use stats to make your point, except where they don't support it. :dhd:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Dyson first took over as closer his stuff was as good as any I've seen. Lights out as I remember. Since then he has lost a lot of what he had and has not shown signs of getting it back. Therefore we have guys capable of doing the job. I'll let you decide "closer" or" best" available.