• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 years ago, Rich Rod turned down Alabama

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doesn't a lot of schools. And yes Alabama can keep plants eligible.

Yeah, that wouldn't go over well at Michigan. Much as alums would like to win an NC, most of them would not like doing it with plants. :nono:

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that wouldn't go over well at Michigan. Much as alums would like to win an NC, most of them would not like doing it with plants. :nono:

Michigan's football team had 23 academic all-Americans this year--a point of pride.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan's football team had 23 academic all-Americans this year--a point of pride.
I have my education, but personally I could give a shit less about the football team. Just win baby. Get some 5 star plants.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my education, but personally I could give a shit less about the football team. Just win baby. Get some 5 star plants.

5-star plants are academically ineligible at Michigan. Sorry.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-star plants are academically ineligible at Michigan. Sorry.
Stop being arrogant. Not everyone can be of great intelligence. If you can get the best players to buy into the system and win, why does it matter?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop being arrogant. Not everyone can be of great intelligence. If you can get the best players to buy into the system and win, why does it matter?

I don't mean to be "arrogant." I was stating this point as a matter of fact. As you noted earlier, Michigan is not alone in this "line in the sand." But, it makes me wonder when COLLEGE football will truly no longer be college football.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point I was making is that Saban was not a good fit for Michigan, and Michigan was not looking at him for HC at that time. First, he didn't like the B1G the first time he was there as HC, and second, he would not have liked the additional academic constraints Michigan puts on scholarship athletes. Those are my opinions to which I am entitled.

Yes, you are allowed to have opinions but yours just sound like you are making things up. When would Michigan have looked at him as a head coach? For the 2008 season? When he just started with Bama? Where in the world did you hear he didn't like the B1G when he coached there? LSU is simply a better opportunity than Michigan State no matter the conference affiliation. Does ANY coach like additional constraints when it comes to recruiting players? I'm sure Harbaugh doesn't like them. The point is, if RRod went to Bama and Saban was available and looking to come back to college from Miami, Michigan would have considered him and he would have been a terrifying coach there as well.

You act as if Saban has just done what he has done bc he is at Bama. He is on an all time historical run, and I hate to tell you, but big time coaches like Knute Rockne and Fielding Yost had a heck of a lot easier time getting the best players in their day than Saban ever had/will. Back in those times, you were asked to go to Michigan or Notre Dame, etc and you went

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to be "arrogant." I was stating this point as a matter of fact. As you noted earlier, Michigan is not alone in this "line in the sand." But, it makes me wonder when COLLEGE football will truly no longer be college football.
Yes it's a fine line. I just wish they would stop calling these guys true student athletes. Let's be honest most of the players on all college teams would likely have not gotten in there as students.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in the Ann Arbor area liked him. The final straw with me was the loss at home to Purdue in year 2 along with seeing his recruiting classes told me he was not going to make it. I saw Meyer run a zone read spread at Florida while still getting top 5 recruiting classes. Rich Rod got inferior players and his defenses were trash. The writing was on the wall. The only people who were slaps for him were out of state fans, or fans of other schools that wanted to see the spread make it in the B1G.

I'm not disagreeing with you or saying you did have confidence in him, but I remember vividly Michigan fans on the old ESPN boards bragging constantly about the Rich Rod hire. His spread offense with Michigan caliber athletes was going to be the end of Ohio State and the B1G

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you are allowed to have opinions but yours just sound like you are making things up. When would Michigan have looked at him as a head coach? For the 2008 season? When he just started with Bama? Where in the world did you hear he didn't like the B1G when he coached there? LSU is simply a better opportunity than Michigan State no matter the conference affiliation. Does ANY coach like additional constraints when it comes to recruiting players? I'm sure Harbaugh doesn't like them. The point is, if RRod went to Bama and Saban was available and looking to come back to college from Miami, Michigan would have considered him and he would have been a terrifying coach there as well.

You act as if Saban has just done what he has done bc he is at Bama. He is on an all time historical run, and I hate to tell you, but big time coaches like Knute Rockne and Fielding Yost had a heck of a lot easier time getting the best players in their day than Saban ever had/will. Back in those times, you were asked to go to Michigan or Notre Dame, etc and you went

I never said Michigan would look at Saban as HC. Someone else suggested that. I just pointed out that I doubted HE would have looked at Michigan as a possibility.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it's a fine line. I just wish they would stop calling these guys true student athletes. Let's be honest most of the players on all college teams would likely have not gotten in there as students.

Well, I'm certain that many of them wouldn't, but you might be surprised how many players are truly interested in getting an education.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm certain that many of them wouldn't, but you might be surprised how many players are truly interested in getting an education.
Yeah and most of them are walk ons. :dhd:

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disagreeing with you or saying you did have confidence in him, but I remember vividly Michigan fans on the old ESPN boards bragging constantly about the Rich Rod hire. His spread offense with Michigan caliber athletes was going to be the end of Ohio State and the B1G
Who was that Ohio State grandma that used to troll our Michigan boards all the time?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, but I can tell you that I hated the hiring of Rich Rodriguez from the beginning. I was willing to give him a chance, however. I admit, however, that I wasn't happy when Michigan was sanctioned for NCAA violations for "practicing" too many hours--the first NCAA sanction of any Michigan football team in its history, when Michigan had to pay the penalty on his West VA contract because he left, and when he wandered around campus asking if anyone wanted to be a kicker for the team. Nope, he made a lot of missteps before even putting the team on the field in a scheme that, IMO, had no chance of working in the B1G.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, but I can tell you that I hated the hiring of Rich Rodriguez from the beginning. I was willing to give him a chance, however. I admit, however, that I wasn't happy when Michigan was sanctioned for NCAA violations for "practicing" too many hours--the first NCAA sanction of any Michigan football team in its history, when Michigan had to pay the penalty on his West VA contract because he left, and when he wandered around campus asking if anyone wanted to be a kicker for the team. Nope, he made a lot of missteps before even putting the team on the field in a scheme that, IMO, had no chance of working in the B1G.
His scheme might have worked if he had USC Carroll level recruiting classes. But then again, a liquid shit offense would work with that talent.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His scheme might have worked if he had USC Carroll level recruiting classes. But then again, a liquid shit offense would work with that talent.

Rodriguez' problem wasn't offense. It was his lack of attention to defense. It was not possible for his offense to score enough points to make up for the poor defense he put on the field. And, in the B1G his vision of a smaller faster defense just wasn't going to work.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodriguez' problem wasn't offense. It was his lack of attention to defense. It was not possible for his offense to score enough points to make up for the poor defense he put on the field. And, in the B1G his vision of a smaller faster defense just wasn't going to work.
His defense could have worked if he had 11 Jadeveon Clowneys and Rey Malaugas on the field.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was that Ohio State grandma that used to troll our Michigan boards all the time?

Ha don't remember that one. Then again, there were so many alts on those damn boards it was hard to tell who was actually real