• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 years ago, Rich Rod turned down Alabama

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark days. We really wanted Harbaugh when he hired Hoke. Even back then, insiders at MI knew if our AD went, we'd get Harbaugh eventually. And we did. Internally, no MI HC has ever been disliked from the get go as RR.
A lot of it unfairly. But RR burned a lot of bridges as well. He is too stubborn and wants to use his own players. Won't even work with the talent given with him.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban wasn't leaving Bama by that time. That's why he wasn't considered, but had he been available, you are foolig yourself if you think he wouldn't have been a candidate

Saban was coaching in the NFL (Miami) then. He supposedly wasn't leaving Miami. But, he would not have considered Michigan (and, IMO, Michigan would not have considered him) because he had already been in the B1G and left because he felt at a disadvantage at Michigan State. Michigan only considered Miles because of his ties to Michigan and considered Rodriguez because then athletic director Bill Martin was an idiot. Saban and Michigan are a "fit" at all. He wouldn't have liked the more stringent admission requirements--they would have hampered his ability to recruit, and Michigan wouldn't have lifted them for him--not even for a national championship. But you go ahead and think whatever you want.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban was coaching in the NFL (Miami) then. He supposedly wasn't leaving Miami. But, he would not have considered Michigan (and, IMO, Michigan would not have considered him) because he had already been in the B1G and left because he felt at a disadvantage at Michigan State. Michigan only considered Miles because of his ties to Michigan and considered Rodriguez because then athletic director Bill Martin was an idiot. Saban and Michigan are a "fit" at all. He wouldn't have liked the more stringent admission requirements--they would have hampered his ability to recruit, and Michigan wouldn't have lifted them for him--not even for a national championship. But you go ahead and think whatever you want.

. . . NOT a fit.

Danny Ocho

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we need to realize that Alabama was in a bad period, after receiving sanctions from the NCAA in 2003. It was a total mess after Franchione left for Texas A&M after the 2002 season. We Bama fans were blessed that Mal Moore hired Saban instead of hiring Rodriguez in 2007. And the rest, is history.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So much wrong here. Best just to start from the beginning.

1.Saban was hired by Alabama in 2007, Carr's final season so when Michigan was looking at Miles and Rodriguez, Saban was already at Bama.

2. What is with Michigan fans and these dumb statements about Saban's time at Michigan State? You do know he inherited a team that was currently under NCAA sanctions who hadn't had a winning season in 5 years, correct? They had a winning record in his first season. By the end of his time there, Michigan State was going in the right direction at 9-2. I'm sure it makes your little fairy tale seem better to pretend he "ran" when in reality he just got a better opportunity (and more money) from LSU.

3. A coach like Nick Saban will recruit at a high level at any big name school. Fuck your "we have such high admission requirements" arrogant bull. Put him at Notre Dame or Michigan or hell even Stanford and he will pull in top 5 classes. So would Meyer, and most likely so would your boy Harbaugh.

4. Had Alabama hired Rodriguez and the unthinkable happened and Michigan got Saban they would have multiple national championships right now too.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree wholeheartedly with Saban. Great coach in the SEC. Best recruiter by a land slide.

College is about who can collect the most talent. Funny that Saban feels the same way about himself as a coach, as I do.

It's called humility and you obviously don't understand the concept.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Riley turned the job down as well.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that when Saban decided that he would rather have Daunte Culpepper instead of Drew Brees...

That was his lasting legacy in the pros.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can explain to me all you want, but they went after guys like RichRod and Les Miles.

Sshhh. He's living happily ever after.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not give him a Walmart greeter job as well?

He got one, at Michigan.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." -- Sydney J. Harris

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant blame him I mean who wouldn't chose WVU over Alabama?

#Americasteam
jesco-dancing-o.gif

'murica
kKQFEF.gif

fuk yeah
RbQde3q.gif

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got one, at Michigan.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." -- Sydney J. Harris

Alabama owes Rich Rod an honorary doctorate for not coaching there ... Hate him or not, Saban is a great coach.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much wrong here. Best just to start from the beginning.

1.Saban was hired by Alabama in 2007, Carr's final season so when Michigan was looking at Miles and Rodriguez, Saban was already at Bama.

2. What is with Michigan fans and these dumb statements about Saban's time at Michigan State? You do know he inherited a team that was currently under NCAA sanctions who hadn't had a winning season in 5 years, correct? They had a winning record in his first season. By the end of his time there, Michigan State was going in the right direction at 9-2. I'm sure it makes your little fairy tale seem better to pretend he "ran" when in reality he just got a better opportunity (and more money) from LSU.

3. A coach like Nick Saban will recruit at a high level at any big name school. Fuck your "we have such high admission requirements" arrogant bull. Put him at Notre Dame or Michigan or hell even Stanford and he will pull in top 5 classes. So would Meyer, and most likely so would your boy Harbaugh.

4. Had Alabama hired Rodriguez and the unthinkable happened and Michigan got Saban they would have multiple national championships right now too.

Ten years ago was 2006 not 2007. If Michigan State was "going in the right direction," why did he slink off into the night to go to LSU (especially after he said he wasn't leaving)? You can think it's "arrogant" if you want to, but since "recruiting" is key in CFB, Saban would not have wanted to coach at Michigan because of constraints on recruiting, and Michigan would not have sought out Saban AT THAT TIME--heck, he was Alabama's second choice after Rodriguez. The rest is conjecture.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten years ago was 2006 not 2007. If Michigan State was "going in the right direction," why did he slink off into the night to go to LSU (especially after he said he wasn't leaving)? You can think it's "arrogant" if you want to, but since "recruiting" is key in CFB, Saban would not have wanted to coach at Michigan because of constraints on recruiting, and Michigan would not have sought out Saban AT THAT TIME--heck, he was Alabama's second choice after Rodriguez. The rest is conjecture.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize the point you were trying to make was that Michigan wouldn't hire Saban when there was no coaching vacancy at Michigan. Once again, LSU is a better program than Michigan Statr and they offered him more money. Stop trying to make that situation into something it isn't. If he was so terrible at Michigan State, why did LSU hire him? Harbaugh is currently putting together top 5 classes at Michigan but ya you want me to believe Saban couldn't.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize the point you were trying to make was that Michigan wouldn't hire Saban when there was no coaching vacancy at Michigan. Once again, LSU is a better program than Michigan Statr and they offered him more money. Stop trying to make that situation into something it isn't. If he was so terrible at Michigan State, why did LSU hire him? Harbaugh is currently putting together top 5 classes at Michigan but ya you want me to believe Saban couldn't.

As I said, you can believe whatever you want to believe.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban and Meyer would run that conference. I'd feel sorry for the rest of the B1G if those two were in the same conference again.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember this. It was after the 2006 season. I was still at WVU. A lot of people were worried but I remembered them saying his wife begged him to say no. Had a pretty darn good season the next year, besides that last game. :(

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that when Saban decided that he would rather have Daunte Culpepper instead of Drew Brees...

That was his lasting legacy in the pros.

No Saban wanted Brees, Dolphins organization decided they wanted Culpepper.

This is why Saban will never go back to the NFL unless they give him full control of who he can get for players.