• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 years ago, Rich Rod turned down Alabama

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama is extremely fortunate that he said no

Rich Rod might have done ok but Alabama would have been nothing better than mediocre in the SEC, likely around Arkansas level.

Saban would have gotten tired of the NFL after the 07 season and gone back to college.

Best openings that year were Michigan, Nebraska, UCLA and Texas A&M

Michigan is likely ruled out. Nebraska or Texas A&M would have been interesting

is it possible that with Saban these programs might have stuck around the Big 12 thus altering the entire alignment of college football!! :les:

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama is extremely fortunate that he said no

Rich Rod might have done ok but Alabama would have been nothing better than mediocre in the SEC, likely around Arkansas level.

Saban would have gotten tired of the NFL after the 07 season and gone back to college.

Best openings that year were Michigan, Nebraska, UCLA and Texas A&M

Michigan is likely ruled out. Nebraska or Texas A&M would have been interesting

is it possible that with Saban these programs might have stuck around the Big 12 thus altering the entire alignment of college football!! :les:

Why do you think Michigan is ruled out?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Academic restrictions, which would also rule out UCLA as well
Academic Restrictions are not that strict. It's not Notre Dame, nor is UCLA for that matter. USC is on par to both schools in academics.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark days. We really wanted Harbaugh when he hired Hoke. Even back then, insiders at MI knew if our AD went, we'd get Harbaugh eventually. And we did. Internally, no MI HC has ever been disliked from the get go as RR.
Michigan really messed up when they hired RR. I didn't like him from the start. Michigans AD back then :L

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan really messed up when they hired RR. I didn't like him from the start. Michigans AD back then :L

All the Michigan fans saying they didn't like RR from the start. Where are the ones that were spouting RRod's offense with Michigan athletes was going to take over and dominate the B10 for years?

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the Michigan fans saying they didn't like RR from the start. Where are the ones that were spouting RRod's offense with Michigan athletes was going to take over and dominate the B10 for years?
I would like to talk with some of them too. Maybe there were some fans of RR. I imagine they finally realized that he sucked. I'm from Michigan, I used to live close to Ann Arbor. People around there were very pessimistic about RR, some people wanted to give him a chance but that didn't work..Back then I myself never heard a Michigan fan praise RR when he arrived at Michigan..

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama owes Rich Rod an honorary doctorate for not coaching there ... Hate him or not, Saban is a great coach.

I quite agree; I was replying to the person who said (about richrod), "why not give him a walmart greeter job as well?"

RFT!!!
Dave Keslen
--
Once you've driven a woman to suicide, bringing one to orgasm is just not that impressive.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten years ago was 2006 not 2007. If Michigan State was "going in the right direction," why did he slink off into the night to go to LSU (especially after he said he wasn't leaving)? You can think it's "arrogant" if you want to, but since "recruiting" is key in CFB, Saban would not have wanted to coach at Michigan because of constraints on recruiting, and Michigan would not have sought out Saban AT THAT TIME--heck, he was Alabama's second choice after Rodriguez. The rest is conjecture.

Saban was not Alabama's second choice after Rodriguez. He (and Spurrier) had already been approached and declined offers from Alabama. Rodriguez accepted, then changed his mind. Then Saban changed his mind.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
No sense being pessimistic; it wouldn't work anyway.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, you can believe whatever you want to believe.

As can you; you are entitled to your opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Never test for an error you don't know how to handle.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in the Ann Arbor area liked him. The final straw with me was the loss at home to Purdue in year 2 along with seeing his recruiting classes told me he was not going to make it. I saw Meyer run a zone read spread at Florida while still getting top 5 recruiting classes. Rich Rod got inferior players and his defenses were trash. The writing was on the wall. The only people who were slaps for him were out of state fans, or fans of other schools that wanted to see the spread make it in the B1G.

Reactions: BUD

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave him a chance. I figured he atleast would be recruiting on par with Lloyd, but would bring top caliber atheletes. Once he missed out on Pryor, he never recovered. He alienated the 5 stars that were already on the roster and settled for smaller track players that were not true football players. He was basically recruiting WVU caliber players at Michigan, which is unacceptable.

Reactions: BUD

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now you are seeing it come to fruition at Zona as well. He is recruiting smaller players and his scheme is getting his players hurt all the time. You can tell he just doesn't want to coach there either. Rich Rod was once an innovator, but there are a lot of better spread coaches out there. Arizona should probably fire him if he can't get to 8 wins next year. Dick Rod should just be a coordinator, recruiting and heading an entire team has passed him by.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As can you; you are entitled to your opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Never test for an error you don't know how to handle.

The point I was making is that Saban was not a good fit for Michigan, and Michigan was not looking at him for HC at that time. First, he didn't like the B1G the first time he was there as HC, and second, he would not have liked the additional academic constraints Michigan puts on scholarship athletes. Those are my opinions to which I am entitled.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point I was making is that Saban was not a good fit for Michigan, and Michigan was not looking at him for HC at that time. First, he didn't like the B1G the first time he was there as HC, and second, he would not have liked the additional academic constraints Michigan puts on scholarship athletes. Those are my opinions to which I am entitled.
These are the same constraints that USC has on its players. You're telling me he wouldn't have coached there either?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the same constraints that USC has on its players. You're telling me he wouldn't have coached there either?

I doubt that Saban would want to coach anywhere (Michigan, USC, Wisconsin--examples) where there are additional constraints on offering scholarships beyond basic NCAA qualification. Recruiting is his thing--he like to be in charge.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Saban would want to coach anywhere (Michigan, USC, Wisconsin--examples) where there are additional constraints on offering scholarships beyond basic NCAA qualification. Recruiting is his thing--he like to be in charge.
Fair enough, he wants the JUCO transfers and to keep plants eligible.