• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 08.15.23 LittellJunis

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thairo with the homer for the lead.

And Meckler with his first hit!

Impressive start by Littell. Perhaps he was miscast with us?
I stayed up long enough to see Tyro's bomb. Glad I was able to bring us an actual offensive game.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew Craw was struggling, but I didn’t realize he was on the interstate.

Ouch, babe…
Yeah, I checked the boxscore this am and thought the same thing. He's washed.

Maybe a dead cat bounce month left in him though?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 6.5 year old black and white Cocker Spaniel has an almost entirely white body (with black spots) and an almost entirely black head. The inside of his ears are entirely gray.

When he was a real puppy, we'd go for a four mile walk, get home and he'd be bounding with energy. Now, a two mile walk exhausts him. But we do walk together 4-5 miles a day. The neighbors know us as a pair. Tonight it was so hot around 7:00 that I walked around the local park alone. An older Pakistani couple always walk together in the morning and evening. They count on seeing Dempsey and me. Whenever I walk without him, they always stop me and ask, "Where dog?"

Our first dog as a married couple was a blond Cocker. My in-laws were housing some Ethiopian refugees at the time. We asked them what the Ethiopian word for "blond" was. There was none. But the word for dog is "Woosha", so we named her Woosha. Everytime I meet someone who looks Ethiopian (like today), I casually mention that we once owned a dog named, well, "Dog". I thought the woman today was going to die laughing.
When we got Natascha last year, we did think of naming her "Sabatska" which is "puppy" in Russian. We walk her together every night and we are famous in the 'hood now. There's another samoyed on the street named Kojak and people often mistake her for him, as she's huge for a female. I should note there is a dog named Dreidel on the street as well. His owner explained in heavy russian accent "Ve are jooish" And I'm like....yeah, comrade, no shit.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So y'all hate Joc, and you hate Kap.

Good thing Farhan isn't MOT or I'd be quite suspicious.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Brisbee today:

The Giants need offensive help, and they need it yesterday. That help isn’t going to come from Mike Yastrzemski any time soon, as he suffered a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury. Immediate help isn’t going to come from Marco Luciano, who is out for several weeks with a hamstring injury of his own. Mitch Haniger is taking on-field batting practice now, but it’s hard to expect too much from someone who’s missed about two-thirds of the last two seasons. Luis Matos was sent back to Triple-A Sacramento. The only trade acquisition at the deadline, A.J. Pollock, is going to miss several weeks with an oblique strain. The Giants are running out of cards to play and levers to pull.

So they called up an outfielder who has hit .377 with a .472 on-base percentage in the 92 professional games he’s played since being drafted 14 months ago.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• 92 games in the minors
• 394 plate appearances
• 137 hits
• .377 batting average
• .472 on-base percentage
• .527 slugging percentage
• 59 walks
• 59 strikeouts

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s the logistical matter of the 40-man roster. Meckler didn’t need to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft until after the 2025 season. Now that he’s on, he can’t be removed without giving the other 29 teams in baseball a chance to get their grubby li’l paws on him. That’s true in 2023, 2024, 2025 and beyond. He’s on the roster now, and he’s gonna have to produce for years. The Giants traded Conner Gillaspie for a Low-A pitcher who couldn’t throw strikes after just two seasons, mostly because they needed the roster spot. Roster spots are that valuable. Which means the Giants are so confident that Meckler can hit major-league pitching, they’re assuming that he’ll be more valuable than anyone else they can source over the next couple of years, at least.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I checked the boxscore this am and thought the same thing. He's washed.

Maybe a dead cat bounce month left in him though?
Generally hits with RISP though and the leadership is real. But yeah he's pretty done.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s the logistical matter of the 40-man roster. Meckler didn’t need to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft until after the 2025 season. Now that he’s on, he can’t be removed without giving the other 29 teams in baseball a chance to get their grubby li’l paws on him. That’s true in 2023, 2024, 2025 and beyond. He’s on the roster now, and he’s gonna have to produce for years. The Giants traded Conner Gillaspie for a Low-A pitcher who couldn’t throw strikes after just two seasons, mostly because they needed the roster spot. Roster spots are that valuable. Which means the Giants are so confident that Meckler can hit major-league pitching, they’re assuming that he’ll be more valuable than anyone else they can source over the next couple of years, at least.
Taking a cursory glance at guys who need to be protected in advance of this year's Rule 5 Draft (thanks to @calsnowskier for starting that conversation) I don't think the Giants have too many guys to be concerned about protecting. Meckler should be fine.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Brisbee today:

The Giants need offensive help, and they need it yesterday. That help isn’t going to come from Mike Yastrzemski any time soon, as he suffered a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury. Immediate help isn’t going to come from Marco Luciano, who is out for several weeks with a hamstring injury of his own. Mitch Haniger is taking on-field batting practice now, but it’s hard to expect too much from someone who’s missed about two-thirds of the last two seasons. Luis Matos was sent back to Triple-A Sacramento. The only trade acquisition at the deadline, A.J. Pollock, is going to miss several weeks with an oblique strain. The Giants are running out of cards to play and levers to pull.

So they called up an outfielder who has hit .377 with a .472 on-base percentage in the 92 professional games he’s played since being drafted 14 months ago.
I see that you are catching up on posting after your trip. Welcome back.

They are running out of options - thus Johan Camargo. Though I do think that they can still give a couple more guys a chance.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a cursory glance at guys who need to be protected in advance of this year's Rule 5 Draft (thanks to @calsnowskier for starting that conversation) I don't think the Giants have too many guys to be concerned about protecting. Meckler should be fine.
The 40 discussion should be rather quiet this off season. All the Arb guys are pretty much no-brainers (all should be extended offers) and only a couple guys even in the “maybe” category for Rule V protection. But this comes from the 2020 draft. There aren’t many player across pro ball who need protection THIS year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 40 discussion should be rather quiet this off season. All the Arb guys are pretty much no-brainers (all should be extended offers) and only a couple guys even in the “maybe” category for Rule V protection. But this comes from the 2020 draft. There aren’t many player across pro ball who need protection THIS year.
And a couple of guys who looked like they would need protection 2 years ago have fallen off the map (i.e. Auerbach).