• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 08.19.23 AA Lineup vs AAAA Pitcher

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It was too many pitches over the plate," Webb explained. "It's a pretty damn good lineup over there, so for a pitcher you have to know you can't leave s--t over the plate and hope it goes well, right? I didn't do a good job of that."

Can't imagine any pitcher thinking that of the Giants right now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It was too many pitches over the plate," Webb explained. "It's a pretty damn good lineup over there, so for a pitcher you have to know you can't leave s--t over the plate and hope it goes well, right? I didn't do a good job of that."

Can't imagine any pitcher thinking that of the Giants right now.
“I just didn’t groove enough pitches. I can’t get week ground outs or double plays if my curve is making them swing through it.“

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my default FEELING, but I also have to give them a bit of a pass (kinda). You really need to have your base before you start going all in on the edges. The Giants don’t have a base to build from, yet.

MAYBE Bailey is part of that base.
MAYBE Matos is part of that base.
MAYBE Harrison is part of that base.
MAYBE Schmitt is part of that base.
MAYBE Luciano is part of that base.
MAYBE Whisenhunt is part of that base.

But do any of those guys look like a base of Acuna, Arcia, Albies, Riley, Strider, Elder, etc?
Acuna was a blue chip prospect who have performed almost from day one. The Giants haven't had someone like that in a very long time. Last year was the closest he's had to a "down" year, posting an OPS+ of 112. He's only 25.
Albies has been a bit more up and down in his career but also started producing right away at the tender age of 20.
Strider and Elder are recent additions from the farm. They came after the build around.
Arcia hardly fits on this list. He's a cast off from the Brewers who was originally acquired to be a backup infielder. However, he took the job from the two rookies and hasn't looked back.
Riley was close to getting "bust" status after 2020 but the Braves were patient with him and were rewarded.

The way I see it, only two of these guys were centerpieces who performed from the start. Yet that is still two more guys than what the Giants have so far. Bailey would be the closest but he's older than those two when he debuted and his offensive numbers are no where near what they did right away. The Giants' farm may be farther away than we had hoped by now.