• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 06-22-17: Yanks end 7 game losing streak and are back in 1st

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babysitter canceled yesterday so I was home with the kids, hence wasn't on here. I just have one point on that disaster of a loss for the Red Sox. I hate how managers (because it's not just a Farrell problem) manage their bullpens. Bases loaded, nobody out, tying run on 2nd. That's going to be your highest leverage situation of the game, guaranteed. And yet, you don't bring in your (by far) best reliever because it isn't the 9th inning. Then the complete lack of logic in the "he's our closer, we want him finishing the game". So you'll lose the game, not use him at all, because it isn't the 9th inning. Freaking idiots.

Welcome to the daily "Bring in Fucking Betances" you will hear from Dirt's home

I woulda thought after Andrew Miller played such a huge role in getting the Tribe to the WS in the exact role you are mentioning, that teams would have taken notice

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but that's bullshit. He had an amazing first half of 2015 and then he shit the bed. He lived off his reputation of that half season for a while, but the party's over.
He deserved it last year too though. Gotta remember how weak the catcher position is in the AL.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Babysitter canceled yesterday so I was home with the kids, hence wasn't on here. I just have one point on that disaster of a loss for the Red Sox. I hate how managers (because it's not just a Farrell problem) manage their bullpens. Bases loaded, nobody out, tying run on 2nd. That's going to be your highest leverage situation of the game, guaranteed. And yet, you don't bring in your (by far) best reliever because it isn't the 9th inning. Then the complete lack of logic in the "he's our closer, we want him finishing the game". So you'll lose the game, not use him at all, because it isn't the 9th inning. Freaking idiots.

I agree with you, but I think it's not just managers, it's the closers too. They want the "saves." I think guys like Miller who don't give a shit what inning they pitch aren't the norm. I could be wrong and if I am, then fuck you.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the daily "Bring in Fucking Betances" you will hear from Dirt's home

I woulda thought after Andrew Miller played such a huge role in getting the Tribe to the WS in the exact role you are mentioning, that teams would have taken notice
Nearly the exact same thing happened just 3 days earlier in Houston. Matt Barnes and Robby Scott walked the bases loaded with a 2-run lead. And the only reason they got out of that one was because Benintendi threw a guy out at the plate.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think if you're going to stick to strictly defined bullpen roles, Joe Kelly should be given a try as the set up man and use Barnes in the 7th.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nearly the exact same thing happened just 3 days earlier in Houston. Matt Barnes and Robby Scott walked the bases loaded with a 2-run lead. And the only reason they got out of that one was because Benintendi threw a guy out at the plate.

2nd and 3rd
2 outs
6th inning
Up 3-2

Yeah, I dont need Tyler Clippard there, cause "He's our 6th inning guy"

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, but I think it's not just managers, it's the closers too. They want the "saves." I think guys like Miller who don't give a shit what inning they pitch aren't the norm. I could be wrong and if I am, then fuck you.
It's true, and I thought that was the problem with Kimbrel last year. He appeared in 22 non-save situations and blew (ERA over 5) and I just figured he didn't want to be out there because he couldn't get a save. This year, however, he's appeared in 8 and allowed 1 base runner. He seems over it.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On Wednesday the Sox threw 11 straight balls and it would have been more but Perez took some generous swings. Absolutely the worst way to lose a game. If they hit you they hit you, but fucking shit - get the fucking ball over the plate.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true, and I thought that was the problem with Kimbrel last year. He appeared in 22 non-save situations and blew (ERA over 5) and I just figured he didn't want to be out there because he couldn't get a save. This year, however, he's appeared in 8 and allowed 1 base runner. He seems over it.

Even Mo was an average pitcher in tie games, or games they were trailing where he was just getting "work"

These closers just bring a different mentality out there when they arent protecting

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think if you're going to stick to strictly defined bullpen roles, Joe Kelly should be given a try as the set up man and use Barnes in the 7th.
They did bring Kelly into a high-leverage situation in that game, so I was fine with that. But, the second Barnes got in there, you have Robby Scott ready to go just in case. The second Scott gets in there and it's 1st and 2nd, nobody out, you get Kimbrel warming. The second Scott walks the first batter on 4 pitches, you bring in Kimbrel. It's not hard.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did bring Kelly into a high-leverage situation in that game, so I was fine with that. But, the second Barnes got in there, you have Robby Scott ready to go just in case. The second Scott gets in there and it's 1st and 2nd, nobody out, you get Kimbrel warming. The second Scott walks the first batter on 4 pitches, you bring in Kimbrel. It's not hard.

I'm certainly glad Kimbrel has gotten the work week off. :mad2:

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Mo was an average pitcher in tie games, or games they were trailing where he was just getting "work"

These closers just bring a different mentality out there when they arent protecting
He still had a 2.29 ERA in non-save situations. But I don't want to compare anyone to Rivera, he wrecks the curve.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever seen this shit? I crack up every time.
That's awesome. He didn't pitch in the 2 games they played at Philly last week. Would have liked to see if they did it again or if the Phillies fans have lost a bit of their mojo.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that chubby asshole. Fucker needs to go work on his Wilderness Explorer badge with Mr. Frederickson.

He needs to get his head on straight!