• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zunino Up

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not real happy that this has to happen already but not much of a choice. I was hoping Zunino could get a long AAA stint.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not real happy that this has to happen already but not much of a choice. I was hoping Zunino could get a long AAA stint.

Ya this feels more like a GMZ move.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Trumbo-for-Clevenger trade keeps looking better and better....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, but...but...but we were trying to clear salary so...

Wasn't a fan of moving Trumbo in the first place. I didn't like his style much as a hitter, but he showed tremendous improvement during the course of the season. I had a feeling he would break out hitting in Baltimore, just didn't expect him to break out this much.

Not sure how I feel about bringing up Zunino. We don't have many other options, but I'd prefer he spend some more time consistently working down in AAA. His numbers in Tacoma indicate improvement, but he is still very raw having been rushed up to the majors like he was.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't a fan of moving Trumbo in the first place. I didn't like his style much as a hitter, but he showed tremendous improvement during the course of the season. I had a feeling he would break out hitting in Baltimore, just didn't expect him to break out this much.

Not sure how I feel about bringing up Zunino. We don't have many other options, but I'd prefer he spend some more time consistently working down in AAA. His numbers in Tacoma indicate improvement, but he is still very raw having been rushed up to the majors like he was.

Oh, and I also feel like we could've fetched a lot more for Trumbo than we did. It was a rushed move to clear salary space.

Dude imagine if we had Trumbo in the middle of that lineup with Cano, Cruz and Seager. That would be ridiculous.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I also feel like we could've fetched a lot more for Trumbo than we did. It was a rushed move to clear salary space.

Dude imagine if we had Trumbo in the middle of that lineup with Cano, Cruz and Seager. That would be ridiculous.

Yeah the middle of the order would be pretty fun to watch. I really wonder i he will keep up his pace or not.

Dipoto shit the bed on this trade. I'd be saying that even if Trumbo wasn't going bananas this season. I think it came down to the fact that Dipoto, like you, weren't fans of Trumbo to begin with. I was kinda neutral on him but believed he was a guy you could win with and was better than most options at first. Still don't understand the overall thinking behind the trade to be honest, just seemed like Dipoto was taking 2 steps forward, then another 1 step forward then 3 steps back all off season.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what it comes down to, no other options at the moment.

Maybe Zunino rakes this time around and answers all our questions. Ill be watching his at bats closely that's for sure.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't big on our version of Trumbo, but that doesn't mean I wanted him given away...which he ways. Just shameful to me.

Ya, Zunino was it. Sucre still rehabbing and other guy on maternity leave so that is it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe Zunino rakes this time around and answers all our questions. Ill be watching his at bats closely that's for sure.

Zunino is a guy I really don't want to give up on because he has so much raw natural ability. He's already a great pitch-framer, and if he made contact more consistently I could see him hitting 25-30 HRs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't big on our version of Trumbo, but that doesn't mean I wanted him given away...which he ways. Just shameful to me.

Ya, Zunino was it. Sucre still rehabbing and other guy on maternity leave so that is it.

My thoughts exactly.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino is a guy I really don't want to give up on because he has so much raw natural ability. He's already a great pitch-framer, and if he made contact more consistently I could see him hitting 25-30 HRs.
Agreed. I really want him handled carefully because of that and how terrible his path to the majors went during the Jack Z era.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the move but also don't. Why bring him up to be the backup catcher? If that was an option at all he could've started the season as the number two guy. Thought him being in AAA was to get at bats

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How much can we really learn when he will only be in a couple of games a week. He's not going to have enough at bats to give him much of a chance.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much can we really learn when he will only be in a couple of games a week. He's not going to have enough at bats to give him much of a chance.
Probably not too much. But we should be able to see how his new approach plays at the major league level and if it will still work for him against better pitching. I know he is seeing more pitches and taking more walks and his K rate is down still fairly high but a step forward.

It is interesting to point out that this season is the longest he has been in the minors since his pro career started in 2012. In 2012 he played short season ball with Everett for 29 games and finished the season in AA for 15 games, then played fall ball. In 2013 he played 52 games for Tacoma where he hit .227 then it was Seattle for the rest of '13 all of '14 and almost all of '15. That is a crazy path through the minors for a player who hit well in short season class A then basically skipped to AAA for half a season before being thrust into the starting catcher role at the major league level. Jack Z fucked this guy.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of Edgar's first success stories (as a coach). Trumbo hit .295 after Edgar took over as hitting coach.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of Edgar's first success stories (as a coach). Trumbo hit .295 after Edgar took over as hitting coach.

And then Dip trades him for a once a week backstop. #TheMarinerWay

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Precisely what I was talking about. Was too lazy to pull up the exact number, but before Edgar came, Trumbo was hitting sub .200 I believe.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like that's how the Mariners handle all their prospects isn't it? They tear it up at AAA, get called up, play once or twice a week, hit .150 in 30 at bats spread out over a few weeks and then get sent back down because they aren't performing. Then they go to other teams that actually give them a chance and they play well.