• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Ideal Off-Season?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown visiting with the Bills today. I guess he's better than nothing...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he keeps on walking.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown was not a part of my 'ideal offseason', I hope the Bills stay away

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accumulating a bunch of 3s on your QB depth chart does not add up to a 9. This is the Bills way and all. Manuel, McCown, Tuel...these guys wouldn't start on any other NFL team.

Just read the Bears are trying to get Mariota. That seems to signal Cutler may be on the move. If everyone seems okay with Richie Icognito, I sure hope they'd be forgiving of Cutler's personality flaws.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not Cutler's personality I'm afraid of. He has a rocket arm and that's it. Also, with Kromer now on board, I would think Cutler would want nothing to do with us.

Plus, I would assume his price is pretty high to obtain his services.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point on Kromer. Didn't even think of that. That sucks.

Well, the Bills are screwed. They have to rely on a new GM that destroyed their draft this year with his stupidity last year to suddenly pull some brilliant move to land a legit pro QB. My $ is on Rex trying to make something out of next to nothing with the usual carousel of crap at the most important position in the game.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, the Bills are screwed. They have to rely on a new GM that destroyed their draft this year with his stupidity last year to suddenly pull some brilliant move to land a legit pro QB. My $ is on Rex trying to make something out of next to nothing with the usual carousel of crap at the most important position in the game.

Well I am probably talking to myself here because you keep pulling out the same lines, even though they are incorrect, but here we go. No first round pick is not screwing the draft we have plenty of productive players on our team that were taken in the middle rounds. Also even if he didn't make the trade we would have had a similar pick and would not be in position to take one of the top two QBs. So we would still be in the same situation that we are currently in great defensive offense with potential but no general to lead them. We get it you hate the trade but having a first round pick wouldn't magically get us a capable QB

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said a first round pick would magically get us a QB. But it would (assuming GM Whaley didn't botch it) land the team an immediate impact player somewhere on the team to help greatly improve them. That's what the first round is for. MOST teams land franchise type or big impact players there. Just because the Bills usually don't isn't because First Rounders aren't that big a deal...it's because the Bills are idiots.

To use your same logic...why mortgage two drafts on Sammy Watkins when they wouldn't have made the playoffs anyways?

Shopson: What's up with Bradford? Why does he want a trade? Seems like a brat...the guy can't stay healthy for the Rams and HE wants out?? He should be happy they keep paying him to ride pine half the seasons.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said a first round pick would magically get us a QB. But it would (assuming GM Whaley didn't botch it) land the team an immediate impact player somewhere on the team to help greatly improve them. That's what the first round is for. MOST teams land franchise type or big impact players there. Just because the Bills usually don't isn't because First Rounders aren't that big a deal...it's because the Bills are idiots.

To use your same logic...why mortgage two drafts on Sammy Watkins when they wouldn't have made the playoffs anyways?

Shopson: What's up with Bradford? Why does he want a trade? Seems like a brat...the guy can't stay healthy for the Rams and HE wants out?? He should be happy they keep paying him to ride pine half the seasons.
It's because they believe he was that impact player you are talking about. Most analyst believe what I believe we are a QB away from being a real SB contender. So let's say we don't make that trade and we have the 19th pick and let's say Beckham. With him Woods and Hogan we wouldn't take a receiver with the last two drafts we are pretty good at LB. Maybe we could upgrade at CB. The only real position of need is a G but is a rookie G going to be that person that brings us a SB no it would be a QB which we wouldn't have gotten at 19. So the fact that we don't have a 1st round pick this year doesn't hurt us that bad.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, and Aaron Rodgers were late first round picks. The idea that the 19th slot in the first round precludes you from selecting a starting QB that stands the test of time isn't supported by history.

Again, I concede the Bills have no tradition of being bright enough to assess and land that QB (at any position in the draft), but that shouldn't let them out of the argument.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco was top 10 (9th I think)

Rodgers was 24th, coincidentally that was the year we didn't have a 1st rounder due to the Losman pick the year before.:doh:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies. Flacco was 18 overall.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...most teams learn from their mistakes, but not the Bills! After the Losman debacle (which I called ridiculous 1 second after it was done just as Watkins was), you'd think they'd have learned. Sorry, but you just don't do something like that for a WR in a draft deep enough at the position (in the first round). There's no excusing it.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, and Aaron Rodgers were late first round picks. The idea that the 19th slot in the first round precludes you from selecting a starting QB that stands the test of time isn't supported by history.

Again, I concede the Bills have no tradition of being bright enough to assess and land that QB (at any position in the draft), but that shouldn't let them out of the argument.
Except this is not a deep QB draft after the first two rest are considered 2nd round picks, Which we have one of those.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure he wants a trade, there a lot of rumors going around than haven't been substantiated. The rumor is the team wants him to restructure and to this point he has been unwilling.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Cutler was offered to the Bills, would they really say no in favor of a new OL coach? Just get another OL coach.

That said, I don't know that Cutler fills the vision Rex has for this team. Being a defensive guy, I would assume he wants a ball control team that runs to set up the pass. Cutler is too much of a gunslinger and careless with the ball.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder if Rex's offenses were tailored more to his talent, or to his general offensive philosophy? If he had a more talented QB, maybe he'd sling it a lot more. I think ball control with a run focus makes sense when you have Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder if Rex's offenses were tailored more to his talent, or to his general offensive philosophy? If he had a more talented QB, maybe he'd sling it a lot more. I think ball control with a run focus makes sense when you have Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, etc.

Most defense-dominant teams prefer ball-control offenses to keep the defense fresh.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to rely on a new GM that destroyed their draft this year with his stupidity last year to suddenly pull some brilliant move to land a legit pro QB.

You tear the team up constantly, especially Whaley and the way that he's built the team so far. Mostly, it seems, over one trade (that may not even be that).

This 'new GM' was hired as our Assistant GM going into the 2010-11 off-season. Since then, we've gone through 3 tough rebuilding years (which is normal) and then were a legitimate contender this past year. A team that many people see as 'a QB away from the playoffs', let alone a few that say a QB away from being 'elite' or a 'super bowl team'. So he's added [or helped add] almost everything on our current roster, that's a QB away from being good. He's built our elite defense.

He's been a player in free agency as well as a good drafting GM. Through the draft he's added:

2010 - CJ Spiller, Marcus Easley
2011 - Marcel Dareus, Aaron Williams, Da'Norris Searcy,
2012 - Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn, Nigel Bradham, Ron Brooks
2013 - EJ Manuel (still a small chance to be something), Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso, Duke Williams, Nickell Robey
2014 - Sammy Watkins, Preston Brown, Seantrel Henderson; With the other 2 lineman still able to grow

That's 9 key players (Spiller, Dareus, Williams, Gilmore, Glenn, Woods, Alonso, Watkins, Brown), 13 starters (Searcy, Bradham, Manuel, Henderson) and a few key role and potential players.

He's brought in Boobie Dixon, Bryce Brown, Scott Chandler, Corey Graham, Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams and Manny Lawson.

That's quite a few talented players, and we're expected to be a player this free agency.

I think we have reason to trust him, we're a QB away from being a top team.