• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yay!

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let's get on with the season

Appreciate whatever he did to help as an assistant, but this team has zero direction

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See what slick willy can do I guess

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let's fire up the muffin and Pearson for nylander rumors

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Marty and Voynov for Nylander? Throw in Pearson so they can have enough cap space to sign him long term.

If Sutter is still under contract, Kings should have him coach a week or 2. Just to get these guys pissed off, until they hire another coach.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see voynov play on the kings myself...doubt that happens

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really the replacement is a guy who was fired by the ‘Nucks?
You guys remember how bad they were, right?
Welp, at this point I’m good for playing for the first puck in the draft.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm surprised, you could kind of feel after the way that Flyers game spiraled the last period that Stevens' fate was perilously close to being sealed. From all accounts brass decided to let him go after that game but didn't let him go until today so IMO one of two things (or both) were going on behind the scenes from RobiBlake:

- they had already been looking around for a coach and wanted to get a commitment from someone before letting him go. The issue is not a lot of options existed at the NHL level* but you just don't fire a guy at 10am and have his replacement(s) already named who are both from outside the organization without having done some work beforehand.

- maybe they wanted to wait until he got a win under his belt before pulling the trigger. As much as he wasn't able to get things done at the head coach level here, he was instrumental to the two Cup wins, been here 8 years and through a lot and a big part of franchise history.

My point: respect. Let the man leave on a win instead of another loss in a lengthy slump. I think him for how he helped turn this team from doormat to champion.

So in comes Desjardins - he's a placeholder and it works for both parties; the Kings get a fresh voice yet someone who has significant head coaching experience at mutiple levels (NHL, Juniors, Olympics, AHL including a Calder Cup with Texas) and in exchange Wilbrod gets exposure for another NHL gig next summer whether it's LA or not.

Regarding the Canucks, in all fairness he walked into a tough situation. The only talent he had were literally the Sedins, they traded Luongo back to Florida for Ryan Miller and apart from Bo Horvat they had nothing (I think they signed Louie Eriksson during that time, but can't remember for sure and we know how that worked out). His first year there he improved the Canucks from 83 points to 101 points but did miss the POs the next 2 seasons and was canned.

The impact may not have lasted, but it worked briefly and with a roster like LA's where the window is just about shut, they are looking for instant results, not a patient development plan like 2006-2011. Thus I think this just may work but most likely for this season only.

Should be interesting Tuesday night against Anaheim, another slumping team. It almost reminds me of the mid/late 90s when both teams sucked balls and alternated making the POs for a few years.

Lastly, since the NHL returned after the 2004 lockout the Kings have had now 6 head coaches: Andy Murray, Crawford, Terry W. Murray Hates Black People, Sutter, Stevens and Desjardins. The only Kings player to have been around for all 6 of those is Brown, Kopitar and Quick for Crawford on and Doughty from TWMHBP on. Doughty wasn't even drafted yet when Crawford was shitcanned.

That brings me to the current core: they should be ashamed of themselves for getting 3 coaches fired in 10 years, these guys need to take a look in the mirror based on how this season has gone.

Blake mentioned lack of emotional investment from the club which I think even us fans saw whether in person or on the tube, they looked like they didn't give a crap many nights this last month. And as much as a non-fan I was of Blake as a player in LA, this quote as a GM is gold:

Kings fire Stevens, Desjardins named interim coach — but changes might not end there - TheHockeyNews:

“We need to be way more emotionally involved. Part of that was a change here today, and the evaluation going forward continues,” Blake said. “We’re going to create a desire for these players to play well here.”

In other words, you better come to play every night or your ass is getting shipped out too. Here's looking at you Pearson and Toffoli - you ain't kids no more and there is no leash anymore.

* Vigneault, Tippett and Bylsma are out there but honestly none of them would really help this team IMO. I like they went outside the box, and even went to Europe to get Sturm.

I just hope his performance behind the Kings' bench is better than his performance on the Kings bench.

=)~~

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see voynov play on the kings myself...doubt that happens

Not going to happen my man, I think the Kings are going to package him in a deal. He is a valuable asset but also will carry that dreaded PR nightmare.

Regardless, some team will trade for him under what market value would normally be, which is why he will be packaged with someone (Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, Pearson, etc) to create cap space and address the offense.

No coincidence that he files for NHL reinstatement last week (the Kings hold his rights as he is on the Voluntary Retirement list but he would need a new contract since his was self terminated) and Stevens gets 86ed this weekend.

There is a move coming or assets are being set up for a move IMO.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isnt worth anything as a trade piece....but ya I know he isnt playing for la again.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember hearing that a couple times when Lou Lamoriello fired coaches in New Jersey, he would either coach himself for a few games while they sought a replacement, or at least stand behind the bench during games when the interim coaches took over. He would do it just to look at players during each shift, and in-between shifts, to see what they were really made of. After all, when a coach gets fired, its usually indicative of under-performance by a lot of players.

Not that Blake is as intimidating as friggin' Lou Lamoriello. But having the GM look over your shoulder on the bench for a game or 2 might send a message. Wake these guys up.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quenville available haha

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Marco Sturm hiring is underlooked. I could be totally off base, but it feels like Desjardin is just a placeholder for Sturm to ultimately become the long-term solution as head coach. Just a funny feeling.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh goody, Turgeon II. Hope this works out better than that did.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that.

Why? He was horrible as a coach in all the places he has been. And what exactly is he evaluating? What’s going to happen based on his evaluation? What are the Kings trying to prove?