• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup Qualifying

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South American Conmebol qualifying...

Qualified: Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay
- Only Brazil and Argentina I think could make a lot of noise in Qatar. Brazil is the best all around team... Argentina finally has good goal tending and will be last tournament for Messi and Di Maria who will both hang up international play afterwards. Argentina has had better attacking teams prior in recent World Cups... DePaul is probably heart and soul of team now. Defensively Argentina still has their issues at times.
- Uruguay maybe can make some noise, but have gotten a little old... still unbelievable that country of 4 million people puts out such a good team
- Ecuador is bit of a surprise... only seen couple of games and was not impressed

Still fighting to get in (1 spot for playoff vs Asia team): Peru, Columbia and Chile
- Peru got hosed it appears vs Uruguay at end of last game.. it looks like it may have been a goal to tie the game. Have last game at home vs Paraguay, probably need to win as Columbia 1 pt back and they play the doormat of Conmebol Venezuela. Paraguay can be tough, very defensive minded team that makes you grind out a win typically.
- The "golden generation" of Chile has gotten old, no similar talent to replace them yet. Tough game vs Uruguay at home if Uruguay plays their starters... need help as behind both Peru and Columbia.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South American Conmebol qualifying...

Qualified: Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay
- Only Brazil and Argentina I think could make a lot of noise in Qatar. Brazil is the best all around team... Argentina finally has good goal tending and will be last tournament for Messi and Di Maria who will both hang up international play afterwards. Argentina has had better attacking teams prior in recent World Cups... DePaul is probably heart and soul of team now. Defensively Argentina still has their issues at times.
- Uruguay maybe can make some noise, but have gotten a little old... still unbelievable that country of 4 million people puts out such a good team
- Ecuador is bit of a surprise... only seen couple of games and was not impressed

Still fighting to get in (1 spot for playoff vs Asia team): Peru, Columbia and Chile
- Peru got hosed it appears vs Uruguay at end of last game.. it looks like it may have been a goal to tie the game. Have last game at home vs Paraguay, probably need to win as Columbia 1 pt back and they play the doormat of Conmebol Venezuela. Paraguay can be tough, very defensive minded team that makes you grind out a win typically.
- The "golden generation" of Chile has gotten old, no similar talent to replace them yet. Tough game vs Uruguay at home if Uruguay plays their starters... need help as behind both Peru and Columbia.
I'd like to see Peru qualify again.

How's Messi playing for Argentina? Be interesting to see if they play any better without him after the WC. Kind of like with Portugal - I think they will probably be better without having to adapt their game to Ronaldo's.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How's Messi playing for Argentina? Be interesting to see if they play any better without him after the WC. Kind of like with Portugal - I think they will probably be better without having to adapt their game to Ronaldo's.

Messi is still a great player and still creative... but he has slowed. Entire team adapts to his style and team looks too much to him at times. Messi gets a lot of attention from other teams, and therefore when he struggles... Argentina has struggled offensively.

Not saying Argentina will be better without Messi... but they may be more "team oriented" after he steps away IMO.

What I have not liked about Messi for national team is that he is not a true leader and when he is frustrated offensively he "dogs" it a bit out there IMO.

I do think Argentina has another Copa America trophy and maybe a World Cup if DiMaria was not so injury prone... DiMaria got hurt in semis for a couple of those and not in final and his dynamic with Messi attacking was exceptional (DiMaria scored winner v Brazil in Copa America last year).

Ironically both are from Rosario where I live and from rival teams here (Newells Old Boys and Rosario Central)... but they are really good friends. Rumors here are DiMaria could return to Central in June 2023.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They got jobbed vs Uruguay IMO... could be 2 pts up on Colombia, but not sure if would matter... still think they would need to beat Paraguay as if tied and Colombia wins vs Venezuela as expected Colombia has much better goal differential.

Colombia is not a team I would want in my group if they make it... they are fast, athletic and very physical.. not always the most polished team. Do really like Dias, Barrios and Cuadrado...

Argentina always has tough time with Colombia no matter where they play due to the physicality of the play and their speed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucky for you.

And again, you also seem to not know how strong Canada actually is.

And we like it like that.

I will be rooting for Canada at the Cup... really do like Davies from Bayern Munich... appears he may be back soon.

Only team I cannot root from from CONCACAF for now is Mexico. Otherwise I always hope CONCACAF teams do well... Argentina has had Mexico´s number a few times at the World Cup... enjoyed those games immensely... my favorite Argentine player of all time Maxi Rodriquez beat Mexico at Cup in Germany 2006 :D

Maxi is from Newells and returned here and they won championship in 2013 thanks to him.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be rooting for Canada at the Cup... really do like Davies from Bayern Munich... appears he may be back soon.

Only team I cannot root from from CONCACAF for now is Mexico. Otherwise I always hope CONCACAF teams do well... Argentina has had Mexico´s number a few times at the World Cup... enjoyed those games immensely... my favorite Argentine player of all time Maxi Rodriquez beat Mexico at Cup in Germany 2006 :D

Maxi is from Newells and returned here and they won championship in 2013 thanks to him.

Thing is, Davies is not alone. When a team like Bayern misses him, you know Canada can only be better upon his return.

Jonathan David, Cyle Larin and Tajon Buchanan are also extremely good players. And the supporting cast is strong and deep.

The goalie Borjan has made at least 4 superb saves in the last couple of rounds. And shut out the Yanks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, Davies is not alone. When a team like Bayern misses him, you know Canada can only be better upon his return.

Jonathan David, Cyle Larin and Tajon Buchanan are also extremely good players. And the supporting cast is strong and deep.

The goalie Borjan has made at least 4 superb saves in the last couple of rounds. And shut out the Yanks.

Canada 2-0 win vs USA is only time saw Canada play... we do not get a lot of CONCACAF games here and typically it is either Mexico or USA playing someone if we get a game.

Davies is only name I know on Canada presently seen him play several games for Bayern... great player! Honestly my jaw hit the floor first time saw him play for Bayern and they said he was Canadian :D

Had not heard of the others... will look for Jonathon David... we get some Ligue 1 games here.. but mostly PSG (because of Messi, DiMaria, Icardi, Paredes).... but if playing Lille will look for him.

Good luck to Canada... hope USA plays you in World Cup final (wishful thinking) :suds:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada 2-0 win vs USA is only time saw Canada play... we do not get a lot of CONCACAF games here and typically it is either Mexico or USA playing someone if we get a game.

Davies is only name I know on Canada presently seen him play several games for Bayern... great player! Honestly my jaw hit the floor first time saw him play for Bayern and they said he was Canadian :D

Had not heard of the others... will look for Jonathon David... we get some Ligue 1 games here.. but mostly PSG (because of Messi, DiMaria, Icardi, Paredes).... but if playing Lille will look for him.

Good luck to Canada... hope USA plays you in World Cup final (wishful thinking) :suds:

We get every game once the final starts. And I record and watch all of them.

I do similar with the rugby WC.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch Rugby too.. I follow the Pumas. Very down now, not good showing in TriNations in 2021... 0-6.
Might wan5t to watch New Zealand.

@Southieinnc son was drafted or was signed to play Pro Rugby this year.

Check it out in the Patriots forum.

Hank might have caught the post and probably has more info than I do.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might wan5t to watch New Zealand.

@Southieinnc son was drafted or was signed to play Pro Rugby this year.

Check it out in the Patriots forum.

Hank might have caught the post and probably has more info than I do.

Do not watch any league rugby, only national team tourneys... WC, TriNation, Six Nations etc...

Argentina finally beat All Blacks in 2019 for the first time ever. Not a fan of the All Blacks at all.... I root against them.

My favorite game of all time is Japan vs South Africa from 2015 WC... great game.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for England's rugby team?;) No, didn't think so!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for England's rugby team?;) No, didn't think so!

I typically pull for England when they are playing..... especially against any of Argentina´s trination rivals. Everyone in Argentina absolutely hates England in all sports... think back to the 1980s war.

Was really hoping England would win it last WC after they took out All Blacks in semis... did not have a good game in the final vs South Africa.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA officially in World Cup... disappointing loss vs Costa Rico.

Pools for drawing Friday

USA and Mexico in 2nd Pool, Canada in 4th pool and Costa Rica if they win vs New Zealand in June.

Pool 3 some decent teams... Senegal, Japan, Serbia, South Korea Poland
Ecuador in 4th Pool... wow, would not want them drawn into USA pool as the 4th.

Concacaf teams cannot be in same pool... hopefully all can pass out of the group stage in November... waiting until Nov... gosh that is weird for WC.

Find out Friday where we are and also the infamous Group of Death.

Personally hope USA can avoid Argentina for personal reasons.. Argentina is my #2 since living here.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada could get a tough group - Brazil, Germany, Poland and Canada? Qatar, Switzerland and Tunisia would probably be best case.

On the face of it, USA would be the best 2nd seed that England could draw but we always seem to struggle against the Americans.