• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worcester Sharks/Prospect News

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is wrenn technically still a sharks prospect? He was drafting by SJ, but I thought he wasnt signed?

He's not signed, but I believe the Sharks still control his rights through the summer (not sure when the signing deadline is). I'd expect that the Sharks won't sign him, but that's just my gut feeling.

Edit: Apparently Wrenn got kneed in game two of the Portland/Kelowna series and did not return. Just though I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is wrenn technically still a sharks prospect? He was drafting by SJ, but I thought he wasnt signed?

Because he started off in the NCAA the Sharks have 4 years from his draft year to sign him. They have until Sept 15 of 2013.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nieto's season also ended yesterday. He is still young enough to go to the CHL, his rights owned by Tri-City in the WHL I believe, but he also has the option of playing in the AHL. He's done a couple interviews this year where he's said he believes himself ready to turn pro.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nieto going pro? Doesnt see like a good choice long term for the sharks. he's still a bit undersized and is a very young sophomore. I would rather he play his junior year before heading to worcester. There is no need to rush this kid if he has the potential to be the real deal... Moffie, on the other hand, I would like to see in baby teal.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nieto going pro? Doesnt see like a good choice long term for the sharks. he's still a bit undersized and is a very young sophomore. I would rather he play his junior year before heading to worcester. There is no need to rush this kid if he has the potential to be the real deal... Moffie, on the other hand, I would like to see in baby teal.

With the clusterfuck that went on at BU this year it wouldn't surprise me if Doug wants him out of there ASAP and under the teams direct supervision.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With the clusterfuck that went on at BU this year it wouldn't surprise me if Doug wants him out of there ASAP and under the teams direct supervision.

That's an excellent point with Nicastro suspended, coyle leaving, etc...

Well, if he does go pro, I would figure he'll need at least 1 or two years in Worcester. I suppose it's not such a bad thing, and who knows, maybe he'll put a cooch and dominate right off the bat.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he started off in the NCAA the Sharks have 4 years from his draft year to sign him. They have until Sept 15 of 2013.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying that. So he's obviously too old for the WHL after this season. Will the Sharks be able to put Wrenn in the ECHL or AHL next year even if he's not under contract?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Interesting, thanks for clarifying that. So he's obviously too old for the WHL after this season. Will the Sharks be able to put Wrenn in the ECHL or AHL next year even if he's not under contract?

They can sign him to a PTO or an AHL level contract but Wrenn's agent would be an idiot if he let that happen.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can sign him to a PTO or an AHL level contract but Wrenn's agent would be an idiot if he let that happen.

That's kind of what I figured. So I take it his next stop will be Canadian college or Europe correct, assuming of course that he doesn't sign an entry level contract.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's kind of what I figured. So I take it his next stop will be Canadian college or Europe correct, assuming of course that he doesn't sign an entry level contract.

I fully expect him to sign an ELC but if he doesn't Europe would be the most likely destination.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McKenzie reporting the Sharks have signed the top NCAA UFA Dman Matt Tennyson out of Western Michigan. Two time CCHA defensive player of the week this season, CCHA best offensive Dman finalist, and 2nd team all CCHA as voted on by the coaches.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thoughts, Cmon?

He's one of the top skaters in the NCAA with a cannon of a shot. I would liken him to what we saw from Justin Braun last season only Tennyson is a much better skater and more physical. Has a bit of a mean streak to him as well.

It maybe interesting to note that skating is the biggest strength of all the college UFA signee's Tennyson, Stalberg, and Oleksuk.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did he go undrafted? Late bloomer?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A little about each of the three new signings. These are from USA Hockey

Travis Oleksuk — Minnesota Duluth — The Bulldogs had one of the most prolific offenses in the country and Oleksuk was a very big part of it. The UMD senior put up 53 points, good for second on the team behind Hobey finalist Jack Connolly. Olksuk’s senior output was 20 points better than what he did as a Junior and he eclipsed 20 goals for the first time with 21. Oleksuk is strong on his skates and gets to the net really well. He’s not afraid to get his nose dirty and clearly has some serious offensive prowess. This was a nice free agent pickup for the Sharks.

Sebastian Stalberg — Vermont — The younger brother of the Blackhawks’ Viktor Stalberg has taken a step forward in each of his three seasons with the Catamounts. He never overwhelmed offensively, but had a career year with 31 points on a team that really struggled. Like brother Viktor, Sebastian can burn. He has decent size and strength and likely will need a few years of seasoning in the minors, but he’s highly intriguing.

Matt Tennyson — Western Michigan — After Danny DeKeyser announced he would return to school for his Junior season, everyone expected the rest of WMU’s vaunted D corps to come back, too. That was until news broke at that Matt Tennyson signed with San Jose. Though overshadowed by his sophomore teammate, Tennyson had a remarkable junior year. He was one of the nation’s leading goal scorers among defensemen with 11. He put up a career best 24 points, while displaying excellent instincts in his own zone. Tennyson has pro size at 6-2, 212 and skates extremely well. This was a savvy signing by San Jose.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennyson is also from Pleasanton and is the first former Junior Shark to sign a professional contract with the Sharks.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tennyson is also from Pleasanton and is the first former Junior Shark to sign a professional contract with the Sharks.

I just read that too. Nice to see a local kid make it!
Hockey in California is huge now, and I'd expect to see more kids from here make it to the NHL.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In his 1st start for Peoria Alex Stalock made 31 saves on 31 shots in a 1-0 win. In his three apperances with the Rivermen Stalock has stopped 53 of 55 shots.