• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woody - The Sherrif is Turning In His Star

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, Peyton Manning has earned his spot as an NFL icon - the consummate competitor and student of the game .

I am glad he is going out on these terms, and I am sure there will be no shortage of Peyton Manning sightings around the NFL in the years to come, whether it be on the sidelines or in the studio or in a front office ..

I love football, and I know Peyton Manning loves football .. I stopped in high school, and Peyton at age 39, but football will always be in the blood

!!! Hey Peyton, good luck in what you do, and maybe you could even take a job in the Raider organization so I can dislike you all over again !!!

;)

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great read. What I find VERY interesting is that Elway took 2 1/2 months after winning to come to his decision. I guess most folks back then had a lot more patience than some folks do nowadays.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we really believe Manning would choose Woody Paige as his go to guy? Not buying it. Paige is trying to steal another big scoop again. :)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we really believe Manning would choose Woody Paige as his go to guy? Not buying it. Paige is trying to steal another big scoop again. :)
There is that Tennessee connection. And apparently Woody is close to Archie.

theknight307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great read. What I find VERY interesting is that Elway took 2 1/2 months after winning to come to his decision. I guess most folks back then had a lot more patience than some folks do nowadays.

Sigh.....

You know there was a huge big gigantic difference right?

Elway, was not the 33rd ranked QB in the NFL and they actually won games (including the SB) because of him. Elway was actually a very big part of that offense, which had scored the most points in franchise history to that point. The best thing about those offenses is they were balanced.

The point is Elway did actually have ability to lead the team effectively. I would imagine it would have been very tempting for Elway to go after a 3 peat. Which, of course has never been done.

Manning, over the last year and a half has been awful. Especially this whole season. You mentioned in the other post that the reason the Broncos beat the Chargers the last game. I could argue that, but even if you were right, there were at least 5 or 6 games where the defense absolutely bailed him out. Not even including the super bowl.

The Elway delay was totally different imo. Just for the fact that he was MVP (deservedly so) in his last game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh.....

Elway, was not the 33rd ranked QB in the NFL and they actually won games (including the SB) because of him. Elway was actually a very big part of that offense, which had scored the most points in franchise history to that point. The best thing about those offenses is they were balanced.

The point is Elway did actually have ability to lead the team effectively. I would imagine it would have been very tempting for Elway to go after a 3 peat. Which, of course has never been done.

Manning, over the last year and a half has been awful. Especially this whole season. You mentioned in the other post that the reason the Broncos beat the Chargers the last game. I could argue that, but even if you were right, there were at least 5 or 6 games where the defense absolutely bailed him out. Not even including the super bowl.

The Elway delay was totally different imo. Just for the fact that he was MVP (deservedly so) in his last game.

I wouldn't say that Elway was near what he was earlier in his career though. The word I would use was he was efficient that year. QB wise Bubby Brister you could say outplayed Elway in his 4 starts. He had almost a 100 QB Rating and really did play well. Now yes I agree Elway was much better at the end of his career than Manning this past year. Manning has shown he can put together a few decent games here and there but he and we can't trust his arm week in and week out. While I don't think he did much of anything to help us physically win the game I will say I do think his preparation for the 2 weeks and from what I understand his talk to the team the night before the Super Bowl was huge. So I do think he still found ways to contribute. I do think however Manning played decently against the Steelers (his stats would have been pretty good if our WR's could have caught the ball) and he did pretty good against the Patriots. Or at least I would say he was efficient in those 2 games.

theknight307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that Elway was near what he was earlier in his career though. The word I would use was he was efficient that year. QB wise Bubby Brister you could say outplayed Elway in his 4 starts. He had almost a 100 QB Rating and really did play well. Now yes I agree Elway was much better at the end of his career than Manning this past year. Manning has shown he can put together a few decent games here and there but he and we can't trust his arm week in and week out. While I don't think he did much of anything to help us physically win the game I will say I do think his preparation for the 2 weeks and from what I understand his talk to the team the night before the Super Bowl was huge. So I do think he still found ways to contribute. I do think however Manning played decently against the Steelers (his stats would have been pretty good if our WR's could have caught the ball) and he did pretty good against the Patriots. Or at least I would say he was efficient in those 2 games.
I tend to agree with you here. I do know Reeves thought the same type of thing in XXXIII. The Falcons started out with 8 men and 9 men in the box. They felt they needed to force Elway to beat them. They learned, what many teams learned that year, that they were not just a running team.

Anyway, I am sure (in think it was his big temptation and one thing holding him from retiring right away) he really wanted to go after the 3 peat. With a degenerative knee and bad hip and torn bicep, he opted for retirement.

Manning, for all intents and purposes has been a one dimensional QB. His biggest skill was reading defenses and destroying any 5 man rush.His ability to call and know where the hot routes were was unparalleled. His one big weakness was the 3-4 defenses that ran zone blitz and disguised coverages. It annoyed the hell out of me that the ONE TEAM that really gave the Broncos problems. Combine that skill with his accuracy, especially with the medium to long routes, well the best regular season "statistical " Q8 is what we got.

His biggest problem he has had over the last year and a half has been his accuracy. His arm also lost a lot. His arm was never really strong to begin with. The ineptitude of the Broncos offense reflected in so many ways. Opposing defenses would cheat the safeties up. No real fear of the top coming off the defense. With out any ability to run keepers, the backside pursuit never relented. No cut back lanes for the infamous stretch running game.

A lot of reasons the offense was so horrific. Bad OL did not exactly help either.

So, to me the Elway situation was a distinctly different imo.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning riding off in the sunset. Brock hitting FA could be a wild offseason

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see if this rings true again by Johns choice of words

John said WE LIKE TEBOW he was gone
John said, WE LIKE BROCK will he be gone too

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see if this rings true again by Johns choice of words

John said WE LIKE TEBOW he was gone
John said, WE LIKE BROCK will he be gone too

The difference is Tebow couldn't play quarterback in the NFL and Brock appears to have that skillset, as early indicators might suggest. Also, Elway inherited Tebow but he "hand-picked" Osweiler. Apples to oranges, really.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is Tebow couldn't play quarterback in the NFL and Brock appears to have that skillset, as early indicators might suggest. Also, Elway inherited Tebow but he "hand-picked" Osweiler. Apples to oranges, really.

I knew I get this response and don't disagree with it. While I agree its two different situations my point is I think Brock will hit FA. I guess we will find out in the next week what happens.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh.....

Dead on.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I must have been watching other games then.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here is to a great QB .. Last I checked Manning won a SB with us and that wqas missed the first two seasons he was with the broncos because our DC was not worth his salt

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never had a doubt that Peyton Manning will retire after this season. Still don't. It's just too appropriate and fitting. He has proven everything as a QB in the NFL, and he has helped bring another Lombardi trophy to the Denver Broncos. It's pretty clear that he could not have had much success in any other situation this season, but the fact is, he has a Golden 50 Super Bowl ring, and he did what he needed to do to help the team win it all.

Peyton Manning should be commended and thanked for his service to the Broncos and to the NFL.