• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wk 3 @ SF

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually run samuels, maybe he’s the next priest Holmes, why not. Give him a shot. More upset that you could see depth issues coming loud and clear in pre season and here we r 3 games in

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I suspected... Fichtner doin Fichtner things...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching: Steelers should be ashamed of the gameplan Fichtner rolled out yesterday. I'd rather claw my eyes out than watch something like that again. Less than 2-3 first downs & 80yds total in the 1st half. For the love of God quit calling so many damn screens! It has been a while since I've seen anything that bad. Maybe back when Vick was starting and had somewhere south of 10yds passing in 1 entire half. The problem was Randy felt the need to spoon feed Mason into rhythm, and it failed miserably. All it did was sputter the offense and successfully rip the energy out of the Steelers defense. Randy may have redeemed himself a little in the 2nd half, but it was still erratic. Calling that toss play to Conner when it hadn't worked all fucking game (negative yards every time), and depending on Xavier Grimble to be your blocker no less, was absolute bush league. I wish somebody would have slapped him upside the head there. Said this before, but I also noticed that Fichtner wasn't giving Mason ANY window-dressing in the 1st half. No presnap motion to tip off the coverage schemes or anything like that. Are they wanting to set him up to be a system QB? Stupid. Also, no play action until the 2nd half? C'mon! Tomlin should have pulled the plug on that spoonfeeding in the 2nd quarter when it was doing next to nothing. Instead he let it roll and blames execution. Another terrible display of gameclock management from Tomlin. He's an idiot, but we knew that. The defense, on the other hand, now has the personnel to shore up the inadequacies in Butler's schemes, but they'll never win football games being hung out to dry like that. They were absolutely gassed in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Just warm bodies occupying space. Still, the defense got 5 or 6 turnovers! If you produce that many turnovers and still lose the game, then the offense is an utter failure. Embarrassing. F

Offense: O-line didn't look bad, but they didn't look good. No push on run plays, but they held their ground for the most part on pass blocks. Couple of huge whiffs by Feiler & Foster that gave up sacks on 3rd to go situations. Brutal timing, but for the most part still played well. Conner needs to play better. Couple of times he hit the holes too quickly before the play developed. But then again, I saw him burst off the LT and get to the 2nd level before the LBers even knew where he was on 1 play. Overall his timing just seems off. And those fumbles are an absolute killer. 5 fumbles in his last 15 games. They need start feeding Samuels and/or Snell. Not having Nix there shouldn't be giving them this many problems with their run game. The WRs as a group need to play better. The entire 1st half they were blanketed and nobody was getting open. Haven't seen the all-22 yet, but maybe the plays were just slow to develop. Seemed to me like the same story as previous weeks though, WRs just aren't getting open to give Mason better reads. Then again, Fichtner isn't scheming properly. Too many iso-routes. Need to get some rub routes going. Encouraging 1st game as a starter for Johnson. Would like to see him be more confident on in-slant routes where he knows he's going to get hit. Oh and SHOCKER, McDonald is hurt again. Strange. D-

Defense: Hats off to these guys (minus a select few). They played their hearts out for a team that failed them in the end. Maybe if they score TDs for their offense on those 6 turnovers then this team will stand a fighting chance. lol. Shame hats to Dupree & Barron in particular. Those 2 are garbage. I honestly have no clue what Barron does for this defense, apart from guarding himself in coverage. Dude's out there on an island with him & himself. Getting burnt by a FB was a cherry on that crap sundae (loved watching Edmunds waltz past that PBU too lmao. WTF was he doin?). Bush looked lost on a couple plays. Don't know what the deal is with him. Some plays he looks like an all-star, and others he's failing his assignments. Dupree registered just 3 tackles on the day. A day where he was going up against a 3rd string LT. Kudos on your big day, titty-fighter. Got to see Ola for a few series in the 2nd half. Nothing of note from him. Fitzpatrick looks like the real deal. Aside from a missed tackle and a tickytack roughing penalty, he was rock solid. Good opportunistic INT thanks to Joe Haden's excellent PBU. But the main thing I took away from his play yesterday was the fact that he was EVERYWHERE. Based on his play after just 1 week of practice learning the system, I am very encouraged about him. He has a chance to be an all-star for this defense. Aside from Edmunds, I am loving this secondary now. We should never see another OLB covering a slot WR. But hey, Butler's still in the building so anythings' possible. Also would like to give a shoutout to Sutton. Great PBU in the EZ even though the play was negated by penalty IIRC. Encouraging relief play from him. A-

Football can be incredibly frustrating as a fan. We've been clamoring for this team to produce a competent defense for what feels like a decade, and just when they get one, the offense goes in the crapper. Sigh. Welp, this team is still plenty talented to rise to 6-7 wins. And predictably, the coaches typically take 4-5 weeks to figure it the fuck out before this team starts clicking. So I expect better days ahead. If not, this is MAYBE a 4 win team. It's going to be a grueling season, but let's have some fun with this adventure, shall we? Maybe start experimenting with some new alcohols for a change. @Psych-Ward could possibly get us all into some hooch if you're interested? Put some hair on your tongue. Or if you're alcohol-intolerant, then try some crack.

I've gone back and watched the game a couple of times with my new toy game pass...all22 vid is still not out yet, but the condensed version is pretty good.

Fichtner/Rudolph...obviously the 1st few series didn't yield much positive, but the 1st series after the turnover, he opened up in shotgun, and had some motion to help with the coverage...3 passes, FGA. As you said, lots of screens and safe passes early. Good run pass balance. When he did start going down field, he was high on some throws. The INT, Feiler gets beat on the play, quick pressure and he tried to do too much with that one on the run. A better decision to throw that one away....Overall D, but enough positives to build on. Agree on the routes...lots of ISO type routes...if they would do more misdirection off the screens with Johnson they can make more splash plays...he has some wiggle and burst. Also, keep it simple, at least 3 times I saw Mason try to go down field contested when he had the RB in the flat wide open for 10.

OL...both OTs were beaten more than once, and when they did blitz they were effective. Coming off a pretty good game vs SEA I thought both AVill and Feiler got handled in the passing game at times. They did make a few nice holes in the run game, but generally speaking I thought the SF DL won that trench battle...C

DL/Front 7...just keeping it real, I thought they got pushed around. Nearly every rush attempt was 5+ yds....they routinely got a hat on the ILBs at the 2nd level it seems. With a 10+ min deficit in time of possession, fatigue became a factor I think. They did make up for some of those defeats by rushing the passer so it balanced out and the turnovers obviously tilted the effort into the positive...B

DEF/Backend...I want to watch the backend on the all22, but from what I've seen Fitz is a difference maker. Hopefully his play will rub off on Edmunds....2 INTs, but gave up 6....overall...B+

The OFC effort was poor, but the OL has to do better in the passing game and Fichtner has to develop schemes to offset the blitz. I would like to have seen Conner hang on to the ball obviously just to see how that one would've played out, but not to be. If X is going to be the TE1 this week, get him in the game plan.

I'm sure CIN is looking at this week as a potential win as well as PIT...Rudolph gets the support of the home crowd, I expect a better game.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw what the stats say. I'm ready to give Samuels a shot at it. Conner is pissing away his opportunities, and it couldn't be any worse than it already is. Hell I'd even give Snell a chance even though he isn't ready for it. Sink or swim time.

First, I thought, I'm not saying shit to this.....don't wanna hurt people's bitch feelings.
Then I thought, fuck it.....
Someone please tell me what happened to all the talk of running two back formations all fuckin pre-season???
Or was it just that, all talk. We have these talented backs, why the fuck are we not using them???
Nothing at all against Connor, but he's not the only tool in the tool box, sometimes it works better to use the screwdriver instead of the hammer to remove the screw from the wood.

Coaching: Steelers should be ashamed of the gameplan Fichtner rolled out yesterday. I'd rather claw my eyes out than watch something like that again. Less than 2-3 first downs & 80yds total in the 1st half. For the love of God quit calling so many damn screens! It has been a while since I've seen anything that bad. Maybe back when Vick was starting and had somewhere south of 10yds passing in 1 entire half. The problem was Randy felt the need to spoon feed Mason into rhythm, and it failed miserably. All it did was sputter the offense and successfully rip the energy out of the Steelers defense. Randy may have redeemed himself a little in the 2nd half, but it was still erratic. Calling that toss play to Conner when it hadn't worked all fucking game (negative yards every time), and depending on Xavier Grimble to be your blocker no less, was absolute bush league. I wish somebody would have slapped him upside the head there. Said this before, but I also noticed that Fichtner wasn't giving Mason ANY window-dressing in the 1st half. No presnap motion to tip off the coverage schemes or anything like that. Are they wanting to set him up to be a system QB? Stupid. Also, no play action until the 2nd half? C'mon! Tomlin should have pulled the plug on that spoonfeeding in the 2nd quarter when it was doing next to nothing. Instead he let it roll and blames execution. Another terrible display of gameclock management from Tomlin. He's an idiot, but we knew that. The defense, on the other hand, now has the personnel to shore up the inadequacies in Butler's schemes, but they'll never win football games being hung out to dry like that. They were absolutely gassed in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Just warm bodies occupying space. Still, the defense got 5 or 6 turnovers! If you produce that many turnovers and still lose the game, then the offense is an utter failure. Embarrassing. F

Offense: O-line didn't look bad, but they didn't look good. No push on run plays, but they held their ground for the most part on pass blocks. Couple of huge whiffs by Feiler & Foster that gave up sacks on 3rd to go situations. Brutal timing, but for the most part still played well. Conner needs to play better. Couple of times he hit the holes too quickly before the play developed. But then again, I saw him burst off the LT and get to the 2nd level before the LBers even knew where he was on 1 play. Overall his timing just seems off. And those fumbles are an absolute killer. 5 fumbles in his last 15 games. They need start feeding Samuels and/or Snell. Not having Nix there shouldn't be giving them this many problems with their run game. The WRs as a group need to play better. The entire 1st half they were blanketed and nobody was getting open. Haven't seen the all-22 yet, but maybe the plays were just slow to develop. Seemed to me like the same story as previous weeks though, WRs just aren't getting open to give Mason better reads. Then again, Fichtner isn't scheming properly. Too many iso-routes. Need to get some rub routes going. Encouraging 1st game as a starter for Johnson. Would like to see him be more confident on in-slant routes where he knows he's going to get hit. Oh and SHOCKER, McDonald is hurt again. Strange. D-

Defense: Hats off to these guys (minus a select few). They played their hearts out for a team that failed them in the end. Maybe if they score TDs for their offense on those 6 turnovers then this team will stand a fighting chance. lol. Shame hats to Dupree & Barron in particular. Those 2 are garbage. I honestly have no clue what Barron does for this defense, apart from guarding himself in coverage. Dude's out there on an island with him & himself. Getting burnt by a FB was a cherry on that crap sundae (loved watching Edmunds waltz past that PBU too lmao. WTF was he doin?). Bush looked lost on a couple plays. Don't know what the deal is with him. Some plays he looks like an all-star, and others he's failing his assignments. Dupree registered just 3 tackles on the day. A day where he was going up against a 3rd string LT. Kudos on your big day, titty-fighter. Got to see Ola for a few series in the 2nd half. Nothing of note from him. Fitzpatrick looks like the real deal. Aside from a missed tackle and a tickytack roughing penalty, he was rock solid. Good opportunistic INT thanks to Joe Haden's excellent PBU. But the main thing I took away from his play yesterday was the fact that he was EVERYWHERE. Based on his play after just 1 week of practice learning the system, I am very encouraged about him. He has a chance to be an all-star for this defense. Aside from Edmunds, I am loving this secondary now. We should never see another OLB covering a slot WR. But hey, Butler's still in the building so anythings' possible. Also would like to give a shoutout to Sutton. Great PBU in the EZ even though the play was negated by penalty IIRC. Encouraging relief play from him. A-

Football can be incredibly frustrating as a fan. We've been clamoring for this team to produce a competent defense for what feels like a decade, and just when they get one, the offense goes in the crapper. Sigh. Welp, this team is still plenty talented to rise to 6-7 wins. And predictably, the coaches typically take 4-5 weeks to figure it the fuck out before this team starts clicking. So I expect better days ahead. If not, this is MAYBE a 4 win team. It's going to be a grueling season, but let's have some fun with this adventure, shall we? Maybe start experimenting with some new alcohols for a change. @Psych-Ward could possibly get us all into some hooch if you're interested? Put some hair on your tongue. Or if you're alcohol-intolerant, then try some crack.

As for the shine, I can give you the top of the barrel....it's been said the top could make you go blind.

Anyway, this team will not ever do shit while Tomlin and his puppets are on the sidelines.....EVER!!!
The WRs can't catch a fuckin cold, the should be ashamed of themselves. Great way to honor coach Drake.
The offensive line, while great as they can be, have lost their identity without Munch there to guide them.
The fuckin running game....oh fuck man, we have talented backs but use only one....stupid.

And for the love of God, could someone please, please, please tell dumbass Terry to quit with his opinions on our players!!!
Everyone he says sucks (example, Haden) is a key part to our team. And everyone he praises (example, Rudolph) shits the bed in mass proportions. I'd tell him myself, but the sissy bitch had me on iggy.....wussy. Thank Fuckin God he's not a scout for future talent of this team.....we'd be fucked worse than we are, if that's possible. Rudolph has the potential, but they need to bring in a quality QB coach for him....Kenny Anderson coached Ben in his younger years, Rudolph needs someone like that, but it'll never ever happen. Tomlin will not allow coaches on this team with minds of their own....that's a proven fact.

Bottom line, thank God hockey season is here, this team is fucked.
All you penguin fans......WE ARE COMING FOR YOU BITCHES!!!!

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS
@ATL96Steeler

I watched this round table thing on that streaming channel I was telling @FaCe-LeE-uS about.....

Ole Tunch has flipped his fuckin lid.....
He actually said the Steelers should seriously think about giving 'Dirty' Laundry Jones a call :L
If we get that desperate, maybe someone should ask Charlie to step out of the booth!!!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As I suspected... Fichtner doin Fichtner things...

49ers DL and defense in general is really good but I thought Fichtner completely played into their hands.

It's obvious the 9ers knew with a young QB making his first start the Steelers were going to play it safe and lean on the running game to protect him. So the 9ers were just aggressive up front and daring the Steelers' offense to beat them over the top.

And this is where Trent Green was right on with his commentary in that you have to at least take some deep shots just to back off the defense and respect that fact you might hit them over the top.

If I'm a DC and all you're doing is running bubble screens and running up the middle why would I ever not have the defense play the line of scrimmage aggressively and take my chances on you throwing it deep.

You're 0-2 trying to avoid being 0-3 and if you believe in the kid like you say than be more aggressive and let him take some shots. See what the kid can do, let him take his lumps, and allow him to grow. You don't need to call a game like you would for Mahomes but you shouldn't call a game like you would for Tebow either.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gone back and watched the game a couple of times with my new toy game pass...all22 vid is still not out yet, but the condensed version is pretty good.

Fichtner/Rudolph...obviously the 1st few series didn't yield much positive, but the 1st series after the turnover, he opened up in shotgun, and had some motion to help with the coverage...3 passes, FGA. As you said, lots of screens and safe passes early. Good run pass balance. When he did start going down field, he was high on some throws. The INT, Feiler gets beat on the play, quick pressure and he tried to do too much with that one on the run. A better decision to throw that one away....Overall D, but enough positives to build on. Agree on the routes...lots of ISO type routes...if they would do more misdirection off the screens with Johnson they can make more splash plays...he has some wiggle and burst. Also, keep it simple, at least 3 times I saw Mason try to go down field contested when he had the RB in the flat wide open for 10.

OL...both OTs were beaten more than once, and when they did blitz they were effective. Coming off a pretty good game vs SEA I thought both AVill and Feiler got handled in the passing game at times. They did make a few nice holes in the run game, but generally speaking I thought the SF DL won that trench battle...C

DL/Front 7...just keeping it real, I thought they got pushed around. Nearly every rush attempt was 5+ yds....they routinely got a hat on the ILBs at the 2nd level it seems. With a 10+ min deficit in time of possession, fatigue became a factor I think. They did make up for some of those defeats by rushing the passer so it balanced out and the turnovers obviously tilted the effort into the positive...B

DEF/Backend...I want to watch the backend on the all22, but from what I've seen Fitz is a difference maker. Hopefully his play will rub off on Edmunds....2 INTs, but gave up 6....overall...B+

The OFC effort was poor, but the OL has to do better in the passing game and Fichtner has to develop schemes to offset the blitz. I would like to have seen Conner hang on to the ball obviously just to see how that one would've played out, but not to be. If X is going to be the TE1 this week, get him in the game plan.

I'm sure CIN is looking at this week as a potential win as well as PIT...Rudolph gets the support of the home crowd, I expect a better game.
Good stuff here ATL! :suds:

I had a feeling rewatching this would reveal a lot. But I couldn't bring myself to do it lol. Kudos to you!

Coaches... I just have a very hard time understanding why they didn't display more confidence in Rudolph. They ante up on him before the game by acquiring Fitzpatrick, but then roll out an offensive gameplan with training wheels? Makes no sense. Gotta let the kid take more shots and see what they have. Keeping the offense contained by scheme hindered everyone involved. As @Jikkle said above, the SF defense was being very aggressive at LOS because of it & daring them to go deep. They were dead in the water for 3 quarters, until FINALLY they made adjustments when it was too late.

OL... Not taking anything away from the SF front, as they are damn good. But hard to imagine the Goon squad has regressed this badly. They aren't playing like the group we've grown accustomed to. Don't know what the solution here is. Seems like everyone has their share of inconsistencies throughout the game. They know the fundamentals, and they have played together long enough to not need a "gelling period" each year. But it seems clear as day that the loss of Munch has hurt this group.

Front 7... Collectively they played well enough, but I agree they got pushed around plenty. Much like the O-line, they simply need to play more consistently.

Backend... They need V-Will back desperately. Not only for run game support, but just to keep Barron off the field. That dude was terrible against SF. He looked lost in coverage & half-assed many plays.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I thought, I'm not saying shit to this.....don't wanna hurt people's bitch feelings.
Then I thought, fuck it.....
Someone please tell me what happened to all the talk of running two back formations all fuckin pre-season???
Or was it just that, all talk. We have these talented backs, why the fuck are we not using them???
Nothing at all against Connor, but he's not the only tool in the tool box, sometimes it works better to use the screwdriver instead of the hammer to remove the screw from the wood.
Good point. They seemed to be hyping the hell out of Samuels all offseason, and then he doesn't get a single touch against SF? I know they have all the trust & faith in Conner right now, but that's just poor scheming. You gotta take advantage of every player in your arsenal. ESPECIALLY when nothing is working. Instead, we see stuff like I posted in post#82 above... Fichtner calling many of the same plays over & over & over again... That shit is bush league.

I have lost a lot of faith in Fichtner over the course of 3 games. I'm willing to see him coach another game or 2 to see if he has the tools to fix it, but at this point I am not at all optimistic about it.
As for the shine, I can give you the top of the barrel....it's been said the top could make you go blind.
Blind you say? If it prevents me from having to suffer through another 1st half like we saw against SF, then where do I send my subscription checks. Or should I call it a prescription? Can I pay it all up front for the year? I'd rather not have to resort to shoveling my eyes out with a spork.
Anyway, this team will not ever do shit while Tomlin and his puppets are on the sidelines.....EVER!!!
The WRs can't catch a fuckin cold, the should be ashamed of themselves. Great way to honor coach Drake.
The offensive line, while great as they can be, have lost their identity without Munch there to guide them.
The fuckin running game....oh fuck man, we have talented backs but use only one....stupid.
Tomlin needs to go... that much we know. And yes, if that happens he needs to take his muppets with him.

I'm still of the belief that the personnel is as talented as any team in the league, but the coaching is killing them.

And for the love of God, could someone please, please, please tell dumbass Terry to quit with his opinions on our players!!!
Everyone he says sucks (example, Haden) is a key part to our team. And everyone he praises (example, Rudolph) shits the bed in mass proportions. I'd tell him myself, but the sissy bitch had me on iggy.....wussy. Thank Fuckin God he's not a scout for future talent of this team.....we'd be fucked worse than we are, if that's possible. Rudolph has the potential, but they need to bring in a quality QB coach for him....Kenny Anderson coached Ben in his younger years, Rudolph needs someone like that, but it'll never ever happen. Tomlin will not allow coaches on this team with minds of their own....that's a proven fact.

Bottom line, thank God hockey season is here, this team is fucked.
All you penguin fans......WE ARE COMING FOR YOU BITCHES!!!!
We've all been here at one point or another to correct his BS! Thankfully its been awful quiet with him lately.

QB coach... Definitely. I don't think Fichtner is the right guy. He was Ben's coach for a long time, but it was a cush job considering he was "coaching" a HOFer. Must have been real tough work.
@FaCe-LeE-uS
@ATL96Steeler

I watched this round table thing on that streaming channel I was telling @FaCe-LeE-uS about.....

Ole Tunch has flipped his fuckin lid.....
He actually said the Steelers should seriously think about giving 'Dirty' Laundry Jones a call :L
If we get that desperate, maybe someone should ask Charlie to step out of the booth!!!
If Laundry Jones is looked at as a solution to this team then we're worse off than we thought. I understand trying to band-aid thing, which is what I assume he's wanting, but Jones isn't the answer. If Rudolph continues to struggle, whether that be his own play or by poor offensive scheming, then I'd be willing to give Duck a shot. Because at this point, this season is already over. The division is still fairly open for the taking, but this team just flat out sucks. Too many problems to shore up. If they fired the coaching staff TODAY, maybe, just maybe i'd give them a puncher's chance at taking the division.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo on game winning TD: "They (the defense) were a little confused with their adjustments"

NeighboringRealisticGopher-size_restricted.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff here ATL! :suds:

I had a feeling rewatching this would reveal a lot. But I couldn't bring myself to do it lol. Kudos to you!

Coaches... I just have a very hard time understanding why they didn't display more confidence in Rudolph. They ante up on him before the game by acquiring Fitzpatrick, but then roll out an offensive gameplan with training wheels? Makes no sense. Gotta let the kid take more shots and see what they have. Keeping the offense contained by scheme hindered everyone involved. As @Jikkle said above, the SF defense was being very aggressive at LOS because of it & daring them to go deep. They were dead in the water for 3 quarters, until FINALLY they made adjustments when it was too late.

OL... Not taking anything away from the SF front, as they are damn good. But hard to imagine the Goon squad has regressed this badly. They aren't playing like the group we've grown accustomed to. Don't know what the solution here is. Seems like everyone has their share of inconsistencies throughout the game. They know the fundamentals, and they have played together long enough to not need a "gelling period" each year. But it seems clear as day that the loss of Munch has hurt this group.

Front 7... Collectively they played well enough, but I agree they got pushed around plenty. Much like the O-line, they simply need to play more consistently.

Backend... They need V-Will back desperately. Not only for run game support, but just to keep Barron off the field. That dude was terrible against SF. He looked lost in coverage & half-assed many plays.

Coaches...good question...kind of reminds me why they stuck with the single high S vs Tebow...I think the answer in both cases is because the game was still close....that doesn't mean the strategy is working.

The OFC production was terrible, but the scheme itself as safe as it was not the real problem. I hate to use this Tomlinism, but execution or lack of it played a big part. Granted I've had the opportunity to see it multiple times...it was a little bit of everybody...Mason was off on some throws early, many were high so he was probably pumped up...some was his weapons...Johnson dropped one, X man dropped one, not easy catches, but they were catchable balls that might've settle him down quicker...., several times the check down to the RB was wide open, but he went elsewhere...other times it was protection breakdowns, and finally there were scheme issues that you mentioned earlier. Mostly vertical independent routes....especially on 3rd down when he had to hold it a little longer, very few rub routes (but they were playing a lot of zone).

At some point they had to realize they were burning the wheels off the DEF and I'm sure that factored in them getting more aggressive.

OL...the play was okay...even good guard to guard, but both OTs had some bad moments in this game that brought down the grade for the unit.

Front 7...After seeing it for a 4th time this morning, I got a sense of what the heck was happening to the DL boys. Tip of the cap the SF OL...at snap, they did a great job of selling one direction with their feet, the Steeler DL guys would flow in that direction and the OL would simply keep them moving in that direction and the flow of the play was opposite of that.
That made it pretty easy for the uncovered OL guys to get to the 2nd level and they got to the 2nd level a lot...very rarely were the Bush or Barron clean on any running play to their side.

Barron did have a rough game...looked gassed at times.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers DL and defense in general is really good but I thought Fichtner completely played into their hands.

It's obvious the 9ers knew with a young QB making his first start the Steelers were going to play it safe and lean on the running game to protect him. So the 9ers were just aggressive up front and daring the Steelers' offense to beat them over the top.

And this is where Trent Green was right on with his commentary in that you have to at least take some deep shots just to back off the defense and respect that fact you might hit them over the top.

If I'm a DC and all you're doing is running bubble screens and running up the middle why would I ever not have the defense play the line of scrimmage aggressively and take my chances on you throwing it deep.

You're 0-2 trying to avoid being 0-3 and if you believe in the kid like you say than be more aggressive and let him take some shots. See what the kid can do, let him take his lumps, and allow him to grow. You don't need to call a game like you would for Mahomes but you shouldn't call a game like you would for Tebow either.

Good points...while there were plays the Steeler OFC left on the field themselves, simply because the game was close was not a good reason to stay conservative as long as they did....they were contributing to wearing out their own DEF.

At the end of the day, they didn't play well enough around the 1st game starter to get a W on the road.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe in his mind...granted, 1st possession they came out in shotgun and passed the ball on all 3 downs...I don't think any of the passes went 5 yds beyond the LOS.
Well in my mind he should be admitting defeat and that he needs to do better. From what I recall he had 2-3 bubble screens on the first 2 drives alone. At that point the defense was sucked into the box and wasn’t scared at all.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna punch Fichtner in the throat now.