• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the hiring of a new DC in D.C. other big changes are coming too!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, one of the big stories thus far in or post-season is the firing of our Defensive staff and the on-going search for his replacement. That new hire, hopefully takes his time and realize what a daunting task he'll face in building at minimum a respectable defense here.

The first thing that he must come to terms with is how devoid his side of the ball is of players of high quality or starter skills. He must come in and almost immediately sit down with the GM and chart out the best method in which to quickly fill that void.

Then there's the question concerning which players to keep and which to let go.

Realizing that there is just one player (Norman) who is virtually a dead lock to claim a starting role, the more serious questions will center on those senior second tier current starters and their futures here. Among them are Baker, Kerrigan, RJF, Breeland and likely a couple of others. Among that group, few will remain as starters if they remain here after final cuts.

I suspect that there just might be some conversations among other GM's with respect to trade value of at least a couple of these players. whatever happens after there can be no doubt that it's going to involve a very active dip into free agency and a highly concentrated defensive tilt in the upcoming NFL draft. In total, I suspect that of the current 11 defensive starters 8 will either be working here as backups or filling rosters elsewhere.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Sty.. really.. aside from Norman you dont think a single player on this defense.. fuck that, this roster for that matter deserves to be a starter??

Aside from Norman, Williams and Reed when healthy... is there another single player on this roster you dont think is a marginal starter that wouldnt be more than a backup any place else??

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Sty.. really.. aside from Norman you dont think a single player on this defense.. fuck that, this roster for that matter deserves to be a starter??

Aside from Norman, Williams and Reed when healthy... is there another single player on this roster you dont think is a marginal starter that wouldnt be more than a backup any place else??

You are talking about the entire roster, I specifically pointed to the defense. Interesting that you named the one guy that I made reference to and then quickly switched to the offensive players that had are starters.

Yes Norman is the ONLY guy that I see as nearly a lock to return as a starter on DEFENSE with the new guy in place. I suspect that feelers will go out with respect to Kerrigan and possibly Baker. Both could return, but I doubt as starters. Breeland will definitely be talked about in another role here, the rest of the current starters should be either preparing their interview skills for the new guy or resume's for potential new employment opportunities.

Let's stick to the topic...OK? (Defense)

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are talking about the entire roster, I specifically pointed to the defense. Interesting that you named the one guy that I made reference to and then quickly switched to the offensive players that had are starters.

Yes Norman is the ONLY guy that I see as nearly a lock to return as a starter on DEFENSE with the new guy in place. I suspect that feelers will go out with respect to Kerrigan and possibly Baker. Both could return, but I doubt as starters. Breeland will definitely be talked about in another role here, the rest of the current starters should be either preparing their interview skills for the new guy or resume's for potential new employment opportunities.

Let's stick to the topic...OK? (Defense)

The topic is as it has always been. Very rarely have you not held the position that our starters are other teams backups or not even worthy of that designation. Kerrigan has lead this team in sacks, but you think we should trade him?? NO offense, but you are really starting to remind me of Randy Quaid's character in Major League II, sure he was a fan of the team.. but be damned if he didnt almost take pleasure in proclaiming how much the entire team sucked including the starting pitcher.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The topic is as it has always been. Very rarely have you not held the position that our starters are other teams backups or not even worthy of that designation. Kerrigan has lead this team in sacks, but you think we should trade him?? NO offense, but you are really starting to remind me of Randy Quaid's character in Major League II, sure he was a fan of the team.. but be damned if he didnt almost take pleasure in proclaiming how much the entire team sucked including the starting pitcher.

In fact you're right, I still think that they should at least see what Kerrigan's value is to another team that is in search of that second guy. There is a very real possibility that the new guy will come here and realize as I have that a major overhaul on this defense is necessary. I know that you are blinded by your infatuation with this organization, but some of us can be supportive AND objective. If I remind you of that guy it is only a reflection of what I just stated. It is becoming extremely tiring attempting to convince others that "better than we've had before or in a long time" is not sufficient but merely a step up to a more pleasing grade of frustration.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact you're right, I still think that they should at least see what Kerrigan's value is to another team that is in search of that second guy. There is a very real possibility that the new guy will come here and realize as I have that a major overhaul on this defense is necessary. I know that you are blinded by your infatuation with this organization, but some of us can be supportive AND objective. If I remind you of that guy it is only a reflection of what I just stated. It is becoming extremely tiring attempting to convince others that "better than we've had before or in a long time" is not sufficient but merely a step up to a more pleasing grade of frustration.

Fine.. name me 5 players on this roster you wouldnt cut/trade or release out right?? Then name me the team that hasnt actually BUILT off the roster they had in order to get to be a complete team?? We have been chasing the elite roster for 20+ years going after the big flashy names and other teams "Elite" players. Where has it gotten us?? Mean while players we deemed as marginal starters, and backups by your reckoning have won Super Bowl rings or BECOME prime starters... elsewhere.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine.. name me 5 players on this roster you wouldnt cut/trade or release out right?? Then name me the team that hasnt actually BUILT off the roster they had in order to get to be a complete team?? We have been chasing the elite roster for 20+ years going after the big flashy names and other teams "Elite" players. Where has it gotten us?? Mean while players we deemed as marginal starters, and backups by your reckoning have won Super Bowl rings or BECOME prime starters... elsewhere.
Offensive roster......Kirk, DJax, Williams, Reed, Sheriff, JDox,

Defensive Roster..... Norman

I'm not playing the "Elite" game with you that's the way you see things and I respect that but don't share your opinion.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive roster......Kirk, DJax, Williams, Reed, Sheriff, JDox,

Defensive Roster..... Norman

I'm not playing the "Elite" game with you that's the way you see things and I respect that but don't share your opinion.

Kerrigan would start on 24 out of the 31 teams not named Washington, Baker if we dont resign him, will likely get a starting role on 20 of the 31 teams NOT named Washington. Smith, Murphy and Likely Breeland would get the chance to compete for, or likely outright start on at least 16 of the 31 teams not named Washington.

I agree we need some upgrades on the defense. alot of them in fact. But the idea that Norman is the only real starter we have... come on man.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW: If anyone on this board or on the planet for that matter can name more than a handful of guys per season in the last twenty years who WERE more than backups elsewhere, then that person and I will just have to agree to have seen things differently.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerrigan would start on 24 out of the 31 teams not named Washington, Baker if we dont resign him, will likely get a starting role on 20 of the 31 teams NOT named Washington. Smith, Murphy and Likely Breeland would get the chance to compete for, or likely outright start on at least 16 of the 31 teams not named Washington.

I agree we need some upgrades on the defense. alot of them in fact. But the idea that Norman is the only real starter we have... come on man.

Again, I respect your opinion, just don't agree with it. However, I'm convinced that we will be talking about them again after the new hire begins, along with Scott, making moves.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with Sty far as legit starters on the Skins who could start pretty much everywhere else. We're not far off from one anaother though. I have Norman and RK and after that....Baker on some teams.

Upon more careful reflection. I'm wondering if converting Cravens to a SS is the best thing for him or the Skins. Due to his size though, a DB position as opposed to a LB would probably be best. Though his skillset seems to translate better as a LB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C'mon man that is NOT what I wrote!! Maybe that's the problem....to be clear Norman is a top tier starter, the others I made reference to I labeled "senior second tier current starters" not bad or horrible players as you seem to want to corner me into saying. Keep in mind that there are folks here who will read only an entry or two and believe this shit. I tells ya man, if I really wanted to argue nonsense, the wife ain't but a few steps away!:pound:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: If anyone on this board or on the planet for that matter can name more than a handful of guys per season in the last twenty years who WERE more than backups elsewhere, then that person and I will just have to agree to have seen things differently.

Thats the problem.. you take that hand full of guys that went elsewhere and did good, while we chased elite and flashy, and they make up a bunch of good players that we replaced and got nothing out of. That handful you mentioned went on to be significant pieces in quite a few Super Bowls.

Brad Johnson
Antonio Pierce
Ryan Clark

Sure its just a handful... But how long have we been chasing

QB, ILB and Safety positions?? Some times you got to hang onto above average so you can build the rest of the roster. Otherwise you end up like.... Us, the Browns and the Jags for that matter.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon man that is NOT what I wrote!! Maybe that's the problem....to be clear Norman is a top tier starter, the others I made reference to I labeled "senior second tier current starters" not bad or horrible players as you seem to want to corner me into saying. Keep in mind that there are folks here who will read only an entry or two and believe this shit. I tells ya man, if I really wanted to argue nonsense, the wife ain't but a few steps away!:pound:

Come on man, you just said the only player on defense you wouldnt cut or try and trade was Norman. Most would see that as the only player you think is a worthwhile starter is Norman.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the problem.. you take that hand full of guys that went elsewhere and did good, while we chased elite and flashy, and they make up a bunch of good players that we replaced and got nothing out of. That handful you mentioned went on to be significant pieces in quite a few Super Bowls.

Brad Johnson
Antonio Pierce
Ryan Clark

Sure its just a handful... But how long have we been chasing

QB, ILB and Safety positions?? Some times you got to hang onto above average so you can build the rest of the roster. Otherwise you end up like.... Us, the Browns and the Jags for that matter.

If you honestly believe that I'm going to defend Dan Snyder.....well.....hell, I thought we were friends! What you've written is exactly what I'm writing about here, namely, any time that all you have is a handful of guys, then you have essentially nothing.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man, you just said the only player on defense you wouldnt cut or try and trade was Norman. Most would see that as the only player you think is a worthwhile starter is Norman.
.......And they would be correct, what's your point? that you disagree? We've established that.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is about Kerrigan, so be it. I see him as a part of what he once was, injuries and wear and tear have taken a toll on him at this point in his career. He just doesn't have the speed to chase down backs and often disappears in long stretches during games. I'll give him this, in every game, on average he can be counted on to give ONE outstanding play. This however is NOT about Kerrigan but about the whole share changes that are coming, like them or not!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you honestly believe that I'm going to defend Dan Snyder.....well.....hell, I thought we were friends! What you've written is exactly what I'm writing about here, namely, any time that all you have is a handful of guys, then you have essentially nothing.

Anytime you have a handful of guys, you have something you SHOULD build around. If you got ten dollars to spare, you dont go buy lottery tickets hoping to hit the million dollar jackpot, you take that ten, put it in the bank or invest it, and add the next ten to it. Guys Like Kerrigan, Baker, Breeland, and Smith for that matter are guys we should be building around and developing. Not trying to get draft picks for so we can bring in yet MORE developmental players.

I have said quite a few times, Joe BArry the person is a nice guy. I can see why gruden wanted him around. BUt too many times we saw guys who came in with raw talent.. and he coached that shit right out of them.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you have a handful of guys, you have something you SHOULD build around. If you got ten dollars to spare, you dont go buy lottery tickets hoping to hit the million dollar jackpot, you take that ten, put it in the bank or invest it, and add the next ten to it. Guys Like Kerrigan, Baker, Breeland, and Smith for that matter are guys we should be building around and developing. Not trying to get draft picks for so we can bring in yet MORE developmental players.

I have said quite a few times, Joe BArry the person is a nice guy. I can see why gruden wanted him around. BUt too many times we saw guys who came in with raw talent.. and he coached that shit right out of them.

That's all true, but honest answer here, is that "SHOULD" that you referenced consistent with the Dan Snyder era? Again, I'm not defending the guy, I'm the one who stayed up on many a long night trying to impress upon others here that mismanagement was this organization's calling card.
Again, if you want to see them as starters that's fine, but Imagine the type of players that we would have if they became backups! That is the difficult thing for some here to do....I am personally never satisfied with the stand pat approach to personnel. To be clear, sure you keep them but always....always .....always be in upgrade mode. Now Shark, that's upgrade, not chasing "Elite"

Last edited:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all true, but honest answer here, is that "SHOULD" that you referenced consistent with the Dan Snyder era? Again, I'm not defending the guy, I'm the one who stayed up on many a long night trying to impress upon others here that mismanagement was this organization's calling card.
Again, if you want to see them as starters that's fine, but Imagine the type of players that we would have if they became backups!

I get that.. but who are the players?? If you trade them all away as you propose, we go in with a bunch of 3rd and 4th round rookies. Because if they are as you say marginal at best starters, we are not going to get a bunch of high first round picks for them right?? Its all fine and dandy to LOOK for upgrades, but you dont get rid of the few good players we do have in order to replace them with mid to late round draft picks. You are damning Snyder for mismanagement and shortsightedness, yet saying that we should trade away the few actually solid starters we have.

Thats like saying I have a car that runs, but its not sexy enough. So let me sell it on craigs list and take the Bus until such time i come across the deal of the century on the car I wish I had. Nevermind that while IM taking the bus, Im giving up more time because i have to go by the bus schedule and the car of my dreams might not come along for another 10 years at the price I want it for.