• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With reallignment come new rivalries

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With realigned divisions, new rivalries are bound to form. Granted the established rivalries will have a leg up over the new ones, but there are some potential rivalries that could give the older rivalries a run for their money. These are some of the rivalries I'm looking forward to next season.

Atlantic Division

Detroit Red Wings vs Toronto Maple Leafs
An age old rivalry that becomes new again. Red Wing fans have always told me that their greatest rival isn't the Chicago Blackhawks but the Toronto Maple Leafs. Lots of great history between these 2 teams, Maple Leafs coming back from a 3-0 series deficit to win the 1942 Stanley Cup Finals, Terry Sawchuck, 5x Finals match up, the Winter Classic, and the Maple Leafs are back to being respectable again.

Metropolitan Division
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. New York Rangers: so many players on both teams have played for the other team. Big trades have taken place like Rick Nash for Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, & Tim Erixon. Also Marian Gaborik for Derick Brassard, John Moore, & Dominic Moore. Both teams also have the past 2 Vezina winners and play similar styles of play. I almost consider this to be a mirror match up.

Central Division
Minnesota Wild vs. Nashville Predators
The battle of the most traditional hockey state vs. the anti-thesis of what a hockey state is supposed to be. At the same time, both teams have passionate fans, and Ryan Suter's decision to leave the Predators for the Wild makes this rivalry very intriguing. Ryan Suter vs Shea Weber, a battle between a Swede & Fin goalie, "don'tcha know?" vs "yee haw!".

Pacific Division
Edmonton Oilers vs Los Angeles Kings
The Miracle on Manchester, "The Trade", Yakupov's 1st goal and ensuing celebration. Lots of history between these teams and it's great to see them become divisional rivals. Both teams also have good young talent so I could see this rivalry really heating up in the upcoming years.

There are some other rivalries I'm looking forward to,

Detroit Red Wings vs Tampa Bay Lightning: Stevie Y connection
Pittsburgh Penguins vs Washington Capitals: Sid vs Alice Ovenchicken
Colorado Avalanche vs Chicago Blackhawks: Avs ended Hawks' record point streak, also present vs future?
San Jose Sharks vs Vancouver Canucks: battle of teams with aquatic animals as logos/mascots

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me personally, it's the Jackets and the Caps. But that's because I used to live in the DC/Bawlmer metroplex and have a lot of family that is still there and I expect the Jackets to bat them around like chew toys. I am almost giddy with anticipation for the first time that Backstrom tries to skate around BOOM Jenner.

The thing about a rivalry is both sides have to hate each other and I just don't see NYC giving a crap about Columbus. I mean if the people of NYC cared about things like quality of life, decent communities and cost of living, they might have a reason to be jealous of Columbus, but they are all self centered nutjobs who think 1.5 million for a fridge carton with a view of a wall is a bargain, so...

As for the players... Most fans have moved on from Nash, even if he hasn't moved on himself (he lives here still). He's welcome back. As for the rest, I think most wish Moore well, but Brassard was run out of town on a rail and we only sent Dorsett in the deal because there is a chance we'll need a late powerplay off a boneheaded penalty to win a game and he is JUST the man for the job. The rest of the Metrosexual division can thank us for that.

The real rivalry is Pitt. The hockey fans here were either Wings or Pens fans before the Jackets. 2 hour drive to invade each others' arenas? Yeah. That makes a rivalry. The teams are pretty evenly matched too. They outnumber us in pretty boys, but we actually have a goalie. So I call that a wash.

In summation; fuck New York.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, proximity will certainly boost the Blue Jacketss/Penguins' rivalry. I think the BJ's got a good team this year, very interested in seeing what they can do this season. I can't say enough nice things about their dmen, I think that's where their strength will lie, even more so than goalie.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the case of the Caps, realignment is going to come mostly with old rivalries. :)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
canucks have a healthy dislike for all of the california teams
lots of playoff matchups with them in recent years.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
canucks have a healthy dislike for all of the california teams
lots of playoff matchups with them in recent years.

I'd like the Flames to resume a healthy dislike with the Canucks, but they have to ice a competitive team first.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to Rangers Detroit as well. Two original six teams also Detroit has been the gold standard for NHL franchises over the last 10-15 years so to be the best you have to beat the best.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like the Flames to resume a healthy dislike with the Canucks, but they have to ice a competitive team first.

It may be closer this year Dash, but it's more to do with us moving down to meet you instead of the other way around.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate, hate, hate the new division names. It's killing me.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate, hate, hate the new division names. It's killing me.

Like most people I only hate Metropolitan oh that and most teams in the Atlantic are not on the Atlantic.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most people I only hate Metropolitan oh that and most teams in the Atlantic are not on the Atlantic.

There are 5 teams closer *to* the Atlantic than all but 3 teams *in* the Atlantic.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old rivalries - Detroit vs everyone in the West

New rivalries - Detroit vs everyone in the East

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 5 teams closer *to* the Atlantic than all but 3 teams *in* the Atlantic.

Yeah I dont hate the Atlantic name but you should have given the division with most of the Atlantic teams that name.

Switch Boston or Florida with Blue Jackets and there you go.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I dont hate the Atlantic name but you should have given the division with most of the Atlantic teams that name.

And Boston, Miami, Toronto, Detroit and Montreal are far more "Metropolitan" than Columbus, Pittsburgh and Raleigh.

They would have had to have worked for months to get the division alignment any worse. But when they added those ridiculous names...

I woulda done:
Det
Tor
Pit
CBJ
Buf
Mon
Ott

FLA
TBL
WSH
CAR
NJD
NYI
NYR
BOS

Lakes vs oceans.

Last edited by a moderator:

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or Switch Lightning and Panthers for Pens and Blue Jackets, name Metro div Atlantic and rename Atlantic Northern.

Owners seem to make things more difficult then it needs to be.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Boston, Miami, Toronto, Detroit and Montreal are far more "Metropolitan" than Columbus, Pittsburgh and Raleigh.

They would have had to have worked for months to get the division alignment any worse. But when they added those ridiculous names...

Yeah you with think since they knew this was coming for over a year now they would have put in more then 5 min of thought to it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have gone all the way with re-naming the divisions after ladies magazines:

Cosmopolitan
Flair
Glamo(u)r
Harper's Bazaar

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I woulda done:
Det
Tor
Pit
CBJ
Buf
Mon
Ott

FLA
TBL
WSH
CAR
NJD
NYI
NYR
BOS

Lakes vs oceans.

And before you ask, PHI can go play in the west for all I care.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers have to stay in the Pens' division IMO. 50% of being a Pens or Flyers fan involves rooting against each others team.