• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wiseman vs Ball

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

I will say this, when you look through the history books at great big men, it is really tough to get there without great hands.

Catching tough passes in traffic is an underrated skill set for bigs.

You figure that a big guy will have big hands and that catching will be no problem. I don't know what is going on, but I've noticed it all season that he has had trouble catching passes. He also sometimes has trouble controlling rebounds, as he will sometimes lose the ball out of bounds instead of securing the ball on a rebound. Maybe the Warriors can get Jerry Rice to work with him. LOL.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You figure that a big guy will have big hands and that catching will be no problem. I don't know what is going on, but I've noticed it all season that he has had trouble catching passes. He also sometimes has trouble controlling rebounds, as he will sometimes lose the ball out of bounds instead of securing the ball on a rebound. Maybe the Warriors can get Jerry Rice to work with him. LOL.

It's likely that he just needs to adjust to the NBA game. It's easier to catch the ball in traffic in college because the opponents are often smaller and/or not NBA caliber players. Kind of like football where QB's and WR's learn that "open" in college and "open" in the NFL are 2 very different things.

Having said that, I'd be interested in the size of his hands. If memory serves, Kwame Brown had a similar issue with being able to secure the ball in traffic. Turned out that he had small hands for a guy his size, making it tougher to grip the ball. It wasn't really a problem in high school because he was bigger and better than everyone. But it was something that hurt him for pretty much his entire career in the NBA. Well, that and not being very good at basketball. lol

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's likely that he just needs to adjust to the NBA game. It's easier to catch the ball in traffic in college because the opponents are often smaller and/or not NBA caliber players. Kind of like football where QB's and WR's learn that "open" in college and "open" in the NFL are 2 very different things.

Having said that, I'd be interested in the size of his hands. If memory serves, Kwame Brown had a similar issue with being able to secure the ball in traffic. Turned out that he had small hands for a guy his size, making it tougher to grip the ball. It wasn't really a problem in high school because he was bigger and better than everyone. But it was something that hurt him for pretty much his entire career in the NBA. Well, that and not being very good at basketball. lol

And he only played 3 games in college. I do wonder about hand size. I think I also read that the ratio of finger length to palm length is also a factor.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not so sure.

Catching skills can definitely be improved. His strength deficit certainly plays a role too.

But most of the best big men just have that skill down cold. Players like Chris Webber and Shaq just vacuumed the ball in anytime it got close to their area. Back when the game ran through the post, I actually thought hands were the most important characteristic for a big.

Will be interesting to track over time.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an espn article (I think) about how Ball is having one of the best seasons by a 19 year old ever.

he is really really good.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so sure.

Catching skills can definitely be improved. His strength deficit certainly plays a role too.

But most of the best big men just have that skill down cold. Players like Chris Webber and Shaq just vacuumed the ball in anytime it got close to their area. Back when the game ran through the post, I actually thought hands were the most important characteristic for a big.

Will be interesting to track over time.

Agree. If it's just small hands, it may be an issue to some degree over the course of his career. But, as you point out, his skills can be improved and some time in the weight room (and just maturing) should help with the any strength issue. If it's not small hands, then He likely can fix to the point where it's no longer an issue.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are they going to air GS/LAL when Pistons/Knicks is on?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are they going to air GS/LAL when Pistons/Knicks is on?

Right? With all the talk of ratings being down, you'd think they'd be airing the marquee game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to get some action going on this site.

Just read how good Wiseman's numbers are, his per 36 is elite level already:

He's 19 years old and his per 36 also looks around as good as people like Olajuwon and Ewing did their rookie years.

Bigs take a little longer but I think of LaMelo or Wiseman, Wiseman is more likely to have a HOF career
:comeatmebro:

Serious question but is Wiseman coming back an injury or something, because he is getting out-played by the Lakers' 4th string team right now?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question but is Wiseman coming back an injury or something, because he is getting out-played by the Lakers' 4th string team right now?

I was just going to note that he was far from impressive last night. Then again, so was most of the Warriors team.