• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winter Recruiting Big Board (Defense)

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska needs some help defensively and they are looking to get that through recruiting. Here's the big board as I see it in the coming winter months. I should say that DE recruiting is sketchy right now, not a lot names coming out on the forefront.

Defense

Defensive End
Mykelle McDaniel (3-Star) - McDaniel is a former teammate of Mohammed Barry's and has been interested in Nebraska for some time now. He has yet to visit but I believe (at least officially, I can't remember if he'd done an unofficial yet) so he could use his OV for the winter. Right now it looks like a lot hinges on who South Carolina hires as their new Head Coach. McDaniel has openly said he wants to go there.

Terrell Lucas (3-Star) - Lucas is an interesting case. He technically has a Nebraska offer and was planning on visiting this weekend but the Huskers haven't seemed too interested of late. Lucas will be visiting Minnesota, Duke and Tennessee within the next month. He's a name to keep an eye on though.

JUCO Targets? Nebraska was hard after Jonathan Kongbo but he committed to Tennessee. Nebraska has also showed interset in Josh Allen but eligibility issues abound. Joe Henderson out of Hutchinson could be a possibility. There are some others on the fringes but as of now a JUCO DE doesn't look very likely.

Defensive Tackle
Amir Watts (3-Star) - Watts got an offer from Nebraska today and was very excited about it. The 3-Star DT out of Illinois has major upside but would definitely need to grow a year in the weight room at least, which, if VV and MC come back shouldn't be a problem. Nebraska seems to be the front runner here.

Inside Linebacker
David Reese (3-Star) - Reese is currently committed to Michigan but only according to websites. They want him at FB and he wants to play LBer, they can't let him enroll early and he wants to enroll early. Nebraska hosted Reese recently and stand a strong chance to garner his services soon. Reese is also a very good friend of Desmond Fitzpatrick so Nebraska will be using that relationship to try to lure both recruits to Lincoln. Reese was arguably one of the most productive linebackers in the nation as a senior in high school.

Jaleel Laguins (4-Star) - Laguins has always been somewhat of a pipe dream for Husker fans but after Richt was fired the door cracked back open for his second favorite school. However, the hiring of Kirby Smart could have slammed the door shut... we shall see.

Cameron Goode (3-Star) - If neither Reese or Laguins work out Goode could be the guy. He recently garnered a Nebraska offer and seems very interested.

Secondary
Maurice Chandler (4-Star JUCO) - Nebraska has been in on Chandler for a while now and caught a break when the top rated JUCO corner decommitted from Oklahoma a few weeks ago. Chandler has visited both Arizoan State and Nebraska since then and the Huskers hit the ball out of the park. Both teams need a JUCO corner or two but I think Nebraska is going to edge out ASU in this battle. Chandler announces his commitment on Monday.

Markell Simmons (3-Star JUCO) - Simmons is similar to Chandler and is likely a take as well if he decides Nebraska is the place he wants to be. Simmons loves Nebraska's academic support and the opportunity to play early in the secondary. He's down to Nebraska and Utah it seems, although TCU has recently jumped aboard as well.

Devron Davis (3-Star JUCO) - Davis is another name Nebraska has recently jumped on and it is considered that he will visit Lincoln next weekend. With Chandler likely N, Nebraska will likely take either Simmons or Davis. It's hard to see a scenario where they take more than two JUCO CBs.

Isaiah Simmons (4-Star) - Simmons continues to be a top safety prospect for Nebraska. The versatile athlete out of Overland Park, Kansas has been mum on his recruitment though. Nebraska is definitely in the hunt, but so are a lot of teams. This one is hard to guess.

Lamar Jackson (4-Star) - Jackson can play Safety or corner (as can all of the other prospects) and can play them well. At the outset Nebraska looked like a long shot for Jackson's services but the official visit and in home a few weeks later may have changed things. Jackson wants to play Corner, and Nebraska will let him, his favorite school, USC, wants him at Safety. This one will be interesting to watch. Jackson is a take no matter what.

Brandon Drayton (3-Star) - Drayton was a Nebraska commit for about a week and then backed off of that commitment today. Indications could be that Nebraska has some higher kids on the board that are going to say yes. Drayton says that Nebraska is one of his favorites still but I would be surprised if he ends up as a part of this class.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Drayton commitment/decommitment was interesting. For all of our other commits, there had been a bit of a Twitter celebration from the staff...no such thing for Drayton. Kinda makes me wonder if he even had a committable offer from us. He's a take if everyone else falls off IMO. I'm pleasantly surprised that we are in as good of a position with Jackson as we are...he would be a huge get.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary
Maurice Chandler (4-Star JUCO) - Nebraska has been in on Chandler for a while now and caught a break when the top rated JUCO corner decommitted from Oklahoma a few weeks ago. Chandler has visited both Arizoan State and Nebraska since then and the Huskers hit the ball out of the park. Both teams need a JUCO corner or two but I think Nebraska is going to edge out ASU in this battle. Chandler announces his commitment on Monday.
well, so much for that.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
double dang i thought he was ours.