• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winning streak

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now at 2 games...after splitting a 4 game series with the Dodgers, who have twice the payroll but only a handful more wins than the Reds, and about as far out of 1st place as our bately better than Cubs Reds...The Dodgers DID play .500 on a road series though, something good teams are supposed to do ( and win more than half at home).

Gotta start somewhere, and since all the bodies that were supposed to be on the roster are finally actually on the roster, maybe we'll see better results.

I don't believe in the Brewers pitching, so I think they're a slump in waiting. I don't believe in the Pirates taking off on a big win streak either. St. Louis has a better chance at that, but they have a few holes too. Overall, I don't think the Reds have to improve that much to be as mediocre as it takes to be in the NLC division mix this year.

The Reds pitching and defense is established and pretty good, without anyone having to pull off a career year, even though Simon already has. The offense isn't going to be great, but I don't think it's likely Votto is going to hit .250 or Bruce .210 by the end, and Votto back means Santiago's horrid bat goes back on the rack...so I think it's likely to be better than it has been...and as many 1 run losses as the Reds have had hitting so terrible, it wouldn't require much more contribution by those guys to win some of those games. Hitting is down all over.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now at 2 games...after splitting a 4 game series with the Dodgers, who have twice the payroll but only a handful more wins than the Reds, and about as far out of 1st place as our bately better than Cubs Reds...The Dodgers DID play .500 on a road series though, something good teams are supposed to do ( and win more than half at home).

Gotta start somewhere, and since all the bodies that were supposed to be on the roster are finally actually on the roster, maybe we'll see better results.

I don't believe in the Brewers pitching, so I think they're a slump in waiting. I don't believe in the Pirates taking off on a big win streak either. St. Louis has a better chance at that, but they have a few holes too. Overall, I don't think the Reds have to improve that much to be as mediocre as it takes to be in the NLC division mix this year.

The Reds pitching and defense is established and pretty good, without anyone having to pull off a career year, even though Simon already has. The offense isn't going to be great, but I don't think it's likely Votto is going to hit .250 or Bruce .210 by the end, and Votto back means Santiago's horrid bat goes back on the rack...so I think it's likely to be better than it has been...and as many 1 run losses as the Reds have had hitting so terrible, it wouldn't require much more contribution by those guys to win some of those games. Hitting is down all over.

The Brewers petty much have an all right hand hitting lineup. I'm amazed at how close the Reds are considering pretty much very guy on the roister is doing worse than last year. The big questions is what is going on with Bruce and Votto. To think at this point both are hitting this poorly considering their numbers in prior years is amazing.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help going to 5.00 era's with 1 run leads either. Last nights loss was aided by little offense, but was really decided when Price brought Ondrusek and Parra on to do Broxton and Chapmans job. The fact that Broxton threw an inning the previous night was irrelevant, and the only reason Chapman has been used the last 3 games was because for reasons I can't understand, he's not in the starting rotation.

Votto and Bruce will wind up with better stats than they currently have, but in the interim, the Reds are digging holes that they might not be capable of climbing out of.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's tough to gain ground at 1-2 game streaks, unless you can consistently win 2/3. Winning series is an easy way to keep track without counting. Play .500 on the road and better at home will keep you in the mix, but you usually need more to gain from 8-9 games behind. Especially with 3 teams in front of you, that don't go on an extending losing streak.

It's June. Plenty of time, but too late for excuses. The next 8 weeks will probably decide the Reds fate this year.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's at two in a row. If Simon doesn't go at least 7 innings tonight with a lead I wouldn't hold my breath hoping the middle relief will hold it. Currently the bullpen has two of seven members you can rely on.

If a hitter is 2 for 7 (.286) that's pretty good. When it's the bullpen.......the end result isn't so favorable.

Between a lack of assignment options and few good minor league options on the 40 man, Price and Jocketty are in a tough spot. They look to be attempting to ride it out hoping Hoover, Ondrusek, and company will turn it around. Could be a bumpy ride to the waiver wire for someone soon.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Jocketty will probably pull out his favorite roster move to clear room for whomever they might add. When you can't build a functional 40 man, just DL all your mistakes.

Jumbo Diaz anyone?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Jumbo Diaz it is.

Cingrani sent down to AAA with Sean Marshall and Bozo Bell to the 60 Day DL in a Walt Jocketty patented move. Brett Marshall off the DL and assigned to Louisville.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took Jumbo 12 years to make it to the big show and he showed why tonight. Guy throws hard, but like so many of the Reds' relievers this year no command. Hard to win one much less go on a extended streak with middle relief this poor.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was totally predictable, Sean Marshall will have season-ending surgery.
If you had spray painted that on the wall in April, it would have been just as obvious.
Cingrani doesn't belong in the major leagues.
Neither does Jumbo Diaz.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, neither does Santiago, Bernadina, Hoover, Parra, Ondrusek. An argument could be made that although Cozart, Shumaker, Ludwick or even Bruce are MLB caliber, it's too small a caliber for the role their gunning for.

I've heard statements lately about the parity in MLB. It's a relative term, but more often than not, they're referring to the reduction in offense, benches and bullpens I think. I have to say, I think the post PED parity may be more dissapointing to those young rnough not to remembet the pre PED parity, where Yankee money often separated teams more than anything else. I still believe baseball is cyclic for organizations that can't constantly keep fueling the same efficient organizational engines that keep spitting out top farm talent, spending profits on filling temporary holes in rosters and signing value long term deals. Unfortunately, much of the PR that generates ticket sales involve signing not so value long term deals to percieved popular would be free agents to keep fan favs in town. Not all of that is sound business, and losing exposes that, possibly better than constantly climbing payrolls, to the avarage fan.

It is what it is, until it is something else. There are abberitions along the way, up and down. I expect better players to play out of slumps, and lesser players to decline after streaks. The length of time it takes, and worse, the length if time it takes for clubs to recognize and react roster wise, is frustrating.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ol' Dusty was keen on the idea of trying to recognize when a hitter was on the cusp of going into a slump or coming out of it. That wasn't often explored and I can't say for sure if he was good at it. That would depend on personnel, I suppose. In any event, I found the concept fascinating.

Parity, to me, relates to depth of roster. If the guys who are playing aren't supposed to be playing, that will soon show in results. Price was hobbled with a Triple-A lineup for most of May. Now, that's changed, so the parity might become more apparent.

As baseball fans, we probably know we need to be patient, but patience isn't the way the world works now. We want instant results. It's taken Mike Leake 4 years to get the side out. Homer Bailey has taken even longer.

Billy Hamilton is very close to becoming the best player in the National League.

That relates to nothing. It was just a thought.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, multiplied with a roster comprising a team. Combine that with a myriad of bumps and bruises, distractions and personal agendas and it takes a manager with a PhD in baseball, Masters in Psychology, Communications and it wouldn't hurt to have the ability of an Air Traffic Controller in regard to multitasking.

The ability of a manager to adapt his style to the roster is paramount, if he can't wave the magic wand over the roster and make them all what the manager is best at. That wasn't a Dusty strength. The GM has to recognize when a situation is unworkable, and adjust personnel accordingly. Nothing is seamless, but Billy Hamilton is doing more than pinch running with Price, and even though the Reds haven't hit appreciably different HR, they are moving runners (when they have some).

I do think managers make a difference, within limitations of his players, and his ability to manage in game situations without having to depend on his players to make up for 3 managerial and coaching gaffes a game. A GM has to recognize when he's trying to mix oil and water, though. I'm convinced BH wouldn't get the PT he has now if Dusty was here, but it's just opinion.

One thing is sure to me- this team puts more pressure on the opposition to do more than just let hitters get themselves out than Dusty's teams. It has exposed other teams weaknesses in regard to holding or throwing out runners, playing the bunt, and shifting that makes the pitcher be finer with where he's throwing. No doubt in my mind adaptations like this would have been less likely w/o Price.