• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

wings post-mortem

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
firstly, congrats to all fans whose teams are still alive. good luck to you all the rest of the way. i will still watch and will be rooting for the sharks.

but curious to see what people think of this team going forward.

UFA: Lidstrom, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Williams, Maltby, May, Lilja, Lebda.

RFA: Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, Meech.

Locked up for 2 or more years: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall.

KHL defectors returning: Hudler.

Projected cap room: 13mil.

not sure if these numbers are right or if those lists are comprehensive, but anyway here are my questions:

1. is lidstrom back? i say yes and at a reduced number.

2. which UFA will be back? i say holmer and lilja for sure, possibly bert, i know he has flaws, but all things considered he had a good year and is a nice big body.

3. who will the wings try to sign in free agency? looks like they will mostly need 3rd and 4th line forwards as the top 6 looks pretty set with datsyuk, zetterberg, franzen, holmer, flip and hudler/bert.

4. i'm curious if they look for a d-man, and if so, where would he fit in the rotation.

5. what are the projected lines?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
firstly, congrats to all fans whose teams are still alive. good luck to you all the rest of the way. i will still watch and will be rooting for the sharks.

but curious to see what people think of this team going forward.

UFA: Lidstrom, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Williams, Maltby, May, Lilja, Lebda.

RFA: Helm, Abdelkader, Miller, Eaves, Meech.

Locked up for 2 or more years: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall.

KHL defectors returning: Hudler.

Projected cap room: 13mil.

not sure if these numbers are right or if those lists are comprehensive, but anyway here are my questions:

1. is lidstrom back? i say yes and at a reduced number.

2. which UFA will be back? i say holmer and lilja for sure, possibly bert, i know he has flaws, but all things considered he had a good year and is a nice big body.

3. who will the wings try to sign in free agency? looks like they will mostly need 3rd and 4th line forwards as the top 6 looks pretty set with datsyuk, zetterberg, franzen, holmer, flip and hudler/bert.

4. i'm curious if they look for a d-man, and if so, where would he fit in the rotation.

5. what are the projected lines?

Of the UFA's, I'd try like hell to keep Lidstrom in the fold for one more kick at the can. I'd also see if Holmer would come back at a discounted rate, if not, I'd have to painfully say good luck elsewhere to him. He's a warrior for sure. The rest, I'd let go.

As for the RFA's, I'd try and retain them all (although I admit, I'm pretty ignorant on Meech). Darren Helm is an awesome hockey player, one of my favorites on the Wings after Dats, Zetty and Lidstrom. Kid is pure hustle and pure heart. I also like what Abductormuscle (sorry Eddie, I stole it.....) brings to the table. Lot of good young players on that Detroit squad.

If you guys can get Hudler back and not screw the Salary Cap pooch, obviously that's a no brainer then.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hudler is back for 2.75 mil i believe. that's pretty much a done deal. almost everyone saying that he is a lock for next year's roster.

re: bert. really mixed on him. when he plays with aggression, the dude is insanely good, and he helped carry the wings through the worst part of their injuries. he played two-way hockey better than i ever expected.

but, he sometimes try to be too much of a playmaker. if he goes, there needs to be a comparable big body to replace him with. any ideas on who that could be?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hudler is back for 2.75 mil i believe. that's pretty much a done deal. almost everyone saying that he is a lock for next year's roster.

re: bert. really mixed on him. when he plays with aggression, the dude is insanely good, and he helped carry the wings through the worst part of their injuries. he played two-way hockey better than i ever expected.

but, he sometimes try to be too much of a playmaker. if he goes, there needs to be a comparable big body to replace him with. any ideas on who that could be?

You can have Ponikarovsky. The Penguins won't be needing [or wanting] him after this year.

KindaChang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm not mixed on Bert. In the past four years, he's played on two Red Wings teams, and the Red Wings have been to two Stanley Cup Finals. Guess which two Red Wings teams he wasn't on?

If Grier is available, I'd like to see him get a chance in his home town. I wanted him this past off season over Bertuzzi.

kenyg54

Only sane person out here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think several of the other decisions are contingent on Nick's decision. If he doesn't come back, a different strategy and pocketbook exists. If he comes back, I think less change. Maltby & May gone for sure, hope most of the young 'uns come back. Personally, I think Nick's return is only at about 30%, I sense he wants to call it a wrap.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am predicting a solid top 3 d-man finds his way to Detroit this summer. A bigger name than most will think...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am predicting a solid top 3 d-man finds his way to Detroit this summer. A bigger name than most will think...

Any guesses on a name? I'm just curious to see who you think would be a good fit for Detroit.

I agree Detroit could use a big name defenseman even if Lidstrom returns for another year. He won't be around much longer, Rafalski's age may start catching up with him soon and Stuart is no spring chicken either.

I personally would let most of the UFAs go, keep Lidstrom, Lilja and Holmstrom. The RFA's should all be offered contracts, IMO. Abdelkader and Helm being the 2 most important ones to keep. I'll bet Holland has them signed before July 1, so there's not even a chance for Lowe to throw offer sheets at them.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any guesses on a name? I'm just curious to see who you think would be a good fit for Detroit.

I agree Detroit could use a big name defenseman even if Lidstrom returns for another year. He won't be around much longer, Rafalski's age may start catching up with him soon and Stuart is no spring chicken either.

I personally would let most of the UFAs go, keep Lidstrom, Lilja and Holmstrom. The RFA's should all be offered contracts, IMO. Abdelkader and Helm being the 2 most important ones to keep. I'll bet Holland has them signed before July 1, so there's not even a chance for Lowe to throw offer sheets at them.

I would guess a good puck mover. Offensive type. I'm not really in off season mode yet, and haven't got too in depth with who is available. No reason for me to give anybody reason to jump my shit about improbabilities quite yet. :D
And Rafalski's age has caught up a little, imo. He bobbled the puck more this year than I have ever seen him...

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one name being thrown around a lot is hamhuis. i don't know a ton about his game but i do know he is a solid, sought after d-man.

i am curious to see what kind of magic holland can work this summer.

The Soggy one

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i dont have a clue what theyre going to do....lids will be back im sure. after that who the hell knows. not worried about it though. its not like holland hasnt earned the trust of all wings fans

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds for Lidstrom hanging them up this off season?...the guy is 40 years old...and I know he's a Superman...but still....if he does come back i see a lot of reduced ice time for him...

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one name being thrown around a lot is hamhuis. i don't know a ton about his game but i do know he is a solid, sought after d-man.

i am curious to see what kind of magic holland can work this summer.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do for the Wings, he generally has solid games against them.