• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Windows 10 update sucks!

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and another reason not to have Windows passwords and Linux passwords match for users. The credentials on my Windows box differ (i.e. smbpasswd) from the user logins on the linux side. I couldn't care less if my Windows machine gets hacked as there is no info on it worth taking. The Linux side is another matter.
I back up my Windows machine to a Linux machine. This specific Linux machine is only on for the duration of the backup. Gives an extra backup just in case.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Windows 10, by Microsoft's own definition, is malware (spyware).

When Microsoft Bragged About Spying on Windows 10 Users

Included in Microsoft's new "free" operating system - a key-logger, a program logger, a information gathering process you can't kill (cortana) without affecting some search functionality and a no-choice spam message (which you can disable) Upgrade Now or Later. Cortana could easily be updated and reactivated by a hotfix, so if you're confident you got rid of her, keep an eye out for a resurrection. Who really knows how deep the data collection goes and what lengths you need to go to get rid of it all? Unless you are bound to Windows binaries / proprietary software - I'd ditch it.

Other than a few games I enjoy, I'd get rid of it altogether. It's quarantined on my network for being the information soul sucker that it is.

Does it work well? Sure it does, but at what cost?

I would suggest if anyone is going to keep Win10 to get Spybot Anti-beacon:

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below - cases where the cure is worse than the disease. This is an excellent reason not to have third party proprietary binary blobs running in the kernel (Linux,OSx or Microsoft). Even the programs designed to help prevent exploits are targets for exploits.

A critical Symantec antivirus engine flaw puts PCs at risk of easy hacking

Research shows antivirus products vulnerable to attack | ZDNet

This is the latest in a long string of critical vulnerabilities found by Ormandy and other security researchers in antivirus products in recent years. Most of them have criticized antivirus vendors for continuing to perform dangerous file scanning operations, which historically have resulted in vulnerabilities, using kernel privileges.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hide the search/cortana bar on every machine I use/maintain and leave the rest of it alone. Press the windows key and start typing and you get your search results. Just like you always did in prior versions. I've never been interrupted with speech or popups so I don't see the fuss. I choose not to use her in the same way as google now or Amazon's counterpart and it has never forced me to.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cortana coming back with a vengeance - should have called it Rasputin. Windows 10's information minister and top mole is getting ressurected through updates.

http://www.techspot.com/news/65766-microsoft-make-cortana-mandatory-anniversary-update.html#commentsOffset
Ah hell, Cortana is still turned off for me even after the upgrade. And i'll keep it that way. There are many settings in "Settings" that can disable that bitch, most of them have to do with privacy and location features. FWIW, the latest I read on security site is even with Cortana Windows 10 is more secure than any Windows to date and probably better than Unix based OSes now. MS has also started using AI to find holes and patch them ASAP.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah hell, Cortana is still turned off for me even after the upgrade. And i'll keep it that way. There are many settings in "Settings" that can disable that bitch, most of them have to do with privacy and location features. FWIW, the latest I read on security site is even with Cortana Windows 10 is more secure than any Windows to date and probably better than Unix based OSes now. MS has also started using AI to find holes and patch them ASAP.

True, but thats not saying much. Its better than Mozilla or Google now, but still a far cry from secure. Mozilla is not keeping up and Google is practically spyware now. I dont use Chrome anymore and only IE when my other browsers are not accepted by websites. Opera is decent.

As far as OSs go, there is always Linux. I have been fiddling with it but have not used it much. For the average person I probably would not recommend it, but even a little computer savvy and its not that big a difference and quite a bit safer.

Good to see you again Sooner.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome back KS, glad you are still with us . I have everything turned off as well - yet I still have the unkillable Cortana process/service running in the background **likely reporting all sorts of userland metrics back to MS**

My favorite flavor Linux is in no danger of being replaced by any MS offerings, and running very well.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally got the anniversary upgrade today. I don't know how long it took because I was not present when it started, but for the time I was present, it seemed almost as long as the original W10 upgrade.

Cortana was still disabled for me after the upgrade.

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I upgraded to Windows 10 for free and noticed no problems over Windows 7 except for an issue with microphone feedback. Very slick interface too, I was impressed by how good it is, even though it seems to have been designed more with Smartphone apps in mind.

Perhaps this registry hack will work How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update

Let us know if it does, and/or if it gimps the search function.

As always, MS could always resurrect her through updates.
You can right-click the "task view" icon on the toolbar, choose "Cortana", and then choose the "hidden" option. No hack needed. (Unless the "Anniversary update" is different than the free Win10 upgrade that I have).