• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willie Young

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is easy for us to fixate on one player like Donald in the key 3 tech spot. I just don't know how Emery grades him out when compared to others (like a Dennard or a HaHa). There is some killer video out there of Donald tossing around an All American 340lb guard at the Senior Bowl practice round, its very impressive. My biggest worry is, the Bears are thinking a different position or someone also desperate for a 3 tech like say Marinelli in Dallas or Lovie in Tampa grabs Donald.

We all need to keep in mind this is a deep draft, one of the deepest in recent memory. "Experts are saying there are going to be 2nd and 3rd round players taken that would have been 1st rounders in previous drafts. Something like 60-80 underclassmen declared? I guess I'm mainly saying this to ease my own tensions about "needing" Donald as our DT.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm not advocating any specific position, especially now that there's some coverage at most positions (except safety, but if we don't trade down, it's too high to spend a 14 on a safety). So a 3-tech is an option, but it's just an option. I don't think they have to draft one at all. Even resigning Tillman, I still narrowly am betting on a cornerback.

From what I have heard, although this is a really deep draft supposedly, I have heard that's not the case for D Line, and that it's actually a weak D Line draft class. The depth in the draft is at CB, WR, O line, QB. At least from what I've heard.

As for Dallas and Tampa.....Dallas drafts after us. Of course, Jerry has been known to bet the ranch to trade up in the first. I sort of doubt he will this year given how thin that team is starting to get. But he will almost certainly take either a DT or DE.

Tampa, I will bet a lot of money they do not take a DT, a pile of money they won't draft any D linemen, and I doubt they even draft a defensive player. That defense is set as-is. They could maybe use an upgrade at MLB, but no way they spend a #7 on that. No, Tampa is going offense. My money is on them doing whatever it takes to get a QB for McCown to groom (which is why he was brought...yes as a backup but mostly to school a new youngster). QB is the one major hole on that team right now.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really can't go into the season with only one 3 tech on the roster (Collins). This position is KEY to a 4-3 Defense. If we don't take a 3 tech in the 1st round, then the Bears will have to pick one up in the 2nd. That can work as this draft is pretty deep at the 3 tech spot.

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, I think we have guys that can play 3-tech aside from Collins (Houston of course, Paea can, certainly Ratliff), but I think you are borrowing a legacy point from the Cover-2 days. In a Cover-2, your 3-tech is extremely important because you have to have inside pass rush on passing downs, so you need a gap shooting 3-tech playing as an undertackle on the weakside. If you aren't playing Cover-2, while it's always nice to have an inside gap shooter, it's not quite as critical, and your 3-techs can be more conventional blocker-consuming DTs. There's also not even any reason to believe we simply won't play more over alignments for our DTs if we don't have a star inside pass rusher on our roster.

The Bears aren't really a team defined that tightly as a Cover-2 team anymore....I mean sure they play it, but I don't know that's it's any more distinguishing for us anymore than any other NFL team like it was for much of the last decade.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not advocating any specific position, especially now that there's some coverage at most positions (except safety, but if we don't trade down, it's too high to spend a 14 on a safety). So a 3-tech is an option, but it's just an option. I don't think they have to draft one at all. Even resigning Tillman, I still narrowly am betting on a cornerback.

From what I have heard, although this is a really deep draft supposedly, I have heard that's not the case for D Line, and that it's actually a weak D Line draft class. The depth in the draft is at CB, WR, O line, QB. At least from what I've heard.

As for Dallas and Tampa.....Dallas drafts after us. Of course, Jerry has been known to bet the ranch to trade up in the first. I sort of doubt he will this year given how thin that team is starting to get. But he will almost certainly take either a DT or DE.

Tampa, I will bet a lot of money they do not take a DT, a pile of money they won't draft any D linemen, and I doubt they even draft a defensive player. That defense is set as-is. They could maybe use an upgrade at MLB, but no way they spend a #7 on that. No, Tampa is going offense. My money is on them doing whatever it takes to get a QB for McCown to groom (which is why he was brought...yes as a backup but mostly to school a new youngster). QB is the one major hole on that team right now.

Love to see Pryor (safety) a Bear. As well as Gilbert (CB). Besides Peanut , we haven't had any game changing DBs around here . Well Jennings had his 1 year.
And even Peanut gets burned , usually because he's depending on his safety help which usually isn't there.
Pryor would bring a smash mouth safety we haven't seen since Todd Bell.
Gilbert can actually cover somebody 1 on 1. A DT can be had in rd 2. Just thinking if you want a game changer in rd 1 it should be 1 of these guys.
I'd take Dix & Dennard before a DT I'm unsure about.
RD 1 is about getting game changers. I haven't seen all the DTs who are in discussion play.
I think we can get a serviceable DT in rd2. Game changers are hard to get.
I say we grab a game changer in rd 1. whether it be CB or Safety.:suds:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?

Love to see Pryor (safety) a Bear. As well as Gilbert (CB). Besides Peanut , we haven't had any game changing DBs around here .

. Just thinking if you want a game changer in rd 1 it should be 1 of these guys.

RD 1 is about getting game changers.
Game changers are hard to get.
I say we grab a game changer in rd 1. whether it be CB or Safety.:suds:

Game changers? I wonder how many GMs would want those? If I were a GM I would try to get one in every round.....the problem is its all a crap shoot.......a lot of luck. not every player translate into the NFL.... a lot of game changers from college didnt change games in the NFL. It would be nice.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game changers? I wonder how many GMs would want those? If I were a GM I would try to get one in every round.....the problem is its all a crap shoot.......a lot of luck. not every player translate into the NFL.... a lot of game changers from college didnt change games in the NFL. It would be nice.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:
Your following me around like a troll is actually getting pretty funny. I'm Usually expecting it. Again :laugh3:
Game changers ARE found in rd 1. After that I agree it's a crap shoot.:suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is easy for us to fixate on one player like Donald in the key 3 tech spot. I just don't know how Emery grades him out when compared to others (like a Dennard or a HaHa). There is some killer video out there of Donald tossing around an All American 340lb guard at the Senior Bowl practice round, its very impressive. My biggest worry is, the Bears are thinking a different position or someone also desperate for a 3 tech like say Marinelli in Dallas or Lovie in Tampa grabs Donald.

We all need to keep in mind this is a deep draft, one of the deepest in recent memory. "Experts are saying there are going to be 2nd and 3rd round players taken that would have been 1st rounders in previous drafts. Something like 60-80 underclassmen declared? I guess I'm mainly saying this to ease my own tensions about "needing" Donald as our DT.

The kid from Minnesota (forgot his name) might be there in Rd 2. I'd be happy w/ that, if we got a game changing DB @ 14. Seems there's a lot of controversy as to who the best DT is. Depending where you go Jernigan, Nix, Donald.
Why not pass on DT @ 14 and see how things play out.
I know the importance of a good DT . Through the years I've seen many.
Just think a game changing DB , makes a better contribution to the over all D.
Pryor, Gilbert, And the Mich.St kid ( keep forgetting his frikn name), have those traits. Might even throw Ha-ha in there. Before I take a chance on a DT . But who knows.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think its a smart move adding Young, gives us alot of speed on the defensive line now.