• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willie Young

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears bolster line with more youth.

I like the signing. He really came on last year for the Lions, and has lots of upside.

They also inked Dominique Hixon. We'll see if he sticks.

So far, I have been pleased with FA.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You beat me to it was just going to post this... Nice signing. Young has upside in a weak DE draft.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BearReport: Per Pro Football Focus, Willie Young had 3rd most QB hurries of any 4-3 DE in league in 2013 ... https://t.co/OLiNSH9qxu

@PFF: Willie Young has sacked the QB just 8 times in his career, but his 60 total pressures last year was just 4 fewer than CAR's Charles Johnson

@TomPelissero: Willie Young agreed to a 3-year, $9M deal with #Bears that included a $2M signing bonus and $3.95M total guaranteed.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pick up. This is what I'm talking about! It sure feels nice having a real GM.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I like this better than all the Jared Allen talk. Love JA, but I like the youth-infusion more.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And some people think we were already over the cap......Tillman should be next

C

cubzzzfanincali

And some people think we were already over the cap......Tillman should be next

we aren't physically over the cap, but after you account for the money we need to spend, we are right about at it as it is right now. There's no way we sign Tillman unless something significant happens to the existing rosters or contracts.

While I like Willie Young (I even advocated we sign him in my 2014 offseason plan thread), now we are in effect out of money. Yes, they can enter a few more contracts, but some significant pieces HAVE to be shed or changed for each new piece we add from here.

And we still don't have any defensive line depth (we need at least two more), strongside linebacker, two more safeties (ideally at least one would be decent), two more cornerbacks (one starter, one backup), a blocking tight end, a proven backup running back, or any depth on the offensive line. Yes, the draft hopefully will solve three or maybe four of these, but we will still be short.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Cubzzzfanincali, I don't see the Bears making anymore major splashes.... MAYBE they make room for Tillman or Melton, but my gut is telling me the draft is where Emery plans to get the rest.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to see Wooton back. Just think this signing makes it much more difficult .
But I'll live w/ Young. Hard to beat that price for a starting DE.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to see Wooton back. Just think this signing makes it much more difficult .
But I'll live w/ Young. Hard to beat that price for a starting DE.

Wooten coming off hip surgery makes him a question mark. I love the 60 pressures from Young last year, but I do wonder how much of his production may be inflated playing alongside Suh and Fairley. Don't get me wrong, he was a bargain, but it won't be apples for apples with the rest of the Bears d line.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooten coming off hip surgery makes him a question mark. I love the 60 pressures from Young last year, but I do wonder how much of his production may be inflated playing alongside Suh and Fairley. Don't get me wrong, he was a bargain, but it won't be apples for apples with the rest of the Bears d line.

One reason why I'm worried about the draft and who we pick. Pick the right DT and it won't be a problem. Say Donald next to Ratliff, would be a real interesting pairing. Now, will Donald be there at #14 and would Emery pull the trigger remains to be seen. Heck for all I know he has HaHa graded out higher... >shrugs<

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason why I'm worried about the draft and who we pick. Pick the right DT and it won't be a problem. Say Donald next to Ratliff, would be a real interesting pairing. Now, will Donald be there at #14 and would Emery pull the trigger remains to be seen. Heck for all I know he has HaHa graded out higher... >shrugs<

NCC-What about Nix? Many are high on him as well. From what I've seen/read, Donald would be a good pick at 14 if available.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCC-What about Nix? Many are high on him as well. From what I've seen/read, Donald would be a good pick at 14 if available.

I think the issue with Nix is, we resigned Ratliff and have Paea playing in his position. It is filled. What we don't have is a 3 tech if we are going to play a 4-3. You HAVE to have a 3 tech. One option would be to move down in the draft pick up Tuitt and move him to 3 tech. I kind of like that if Jernigan isn't there say at #20 if we moved down. Oh yea, Jernigan is the other option at 3 tech.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't yet know what to think of the draft. The D line still conceivably has a lot of moving pieces. You've got a lot of guys who can play two positions, have attributes for both 3-4 and 4-3 systems. I can easily see the base set as Young-Ratliff-Paea-Houston with the third down group being Ratliff and Houston (slides inside) as the DTs, with Young and Shea being the outside rushers (yes I think Shea will still get some snaps). It's interesting to consider various possibilities.

I'm sort of thinking the Bears are going to wind up drafting a cornerback in the first round. Yes, they certainly still could go ahead and take a D linemen first (especially if Ealy is there), but my spider sense is tingling corner.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue with Nix is, we resigned Ratliff and have Paea playing in his position. It is filled. What we don't have is a 3 tech if we are going to play a 4-3. You HAVE to have a 3 tech. One option would be to move down in the draft pick up Tuitt and move him to 3 tech. I kind of like that if Jernigan isn't there say at #20 if we moved down. Oh yea, Jernigan is the other option at 3 tech.

Ah, I didn't know Nix wasnt really suited for the 3 tech. That makes sense. Trading down and still landing a 3 tech DT would be nice.

C

cubzzzfanincali

maybe I am wrong, but I think the only high-quality guy who could play the 3-tech is Jernigan. Some of the lower rounds have some guys that might do the trick, I think Uko was one that might be there 3rd or 4th round.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:
Just saying I'd like to see Wooton back . A good character guy. Gives articulate interviews. And made big plays from DE spot when we needed them. And think he was improving every year.
Young was a no brainer signing. We need bodies.
Really don't know the extent of Wooton's surgery. But if it was similar to what Marshall had done, I expect the same Wooton back. If it was more serious, Who knows.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heard his size makes him a prototypical 3/4 nose tackle. Which takes him out of a lot conversations that are talking 4/3 Ds.
But after watching our run D last year. I say why not.
But I also hear he's coming off some sort of injury (not sure). Which might be a concern.
Since everyone is undecided about who the best DT that fits our D. I say why not wait till rd2 to take 1. Especially if Gilbert or Pryor or even Dennard are still there. Game changing DBs except for Peanut . Something we're unaccustomed to here.