• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will this ever happen again?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 AL LCS, White Sox lose the first game to the Angels. They then proceed to win the next 4 games...with their pitcher going for a complete game all 4 games. No bullpen use at all. I forget the order but it was Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia.

I don't think that will ever happen again (4 consecutive complete game victories in the playoffs).

Other never repeatable events (IMO):

2 consecutive no hitters (maybe but I doubt it....Vander Meer in 1938)

Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak (no way until the universe ends. Seriously, no one even gets close to 40 so Pete Rose's NL 44 might be untouchable too. Dimaggio's is for sure)

White Sox scored 11 runs in one inning on one hit (1959)

Don Larsen's perfecto in the World Series (1956)

Someone hitting .400 for the entire year (Ted Williams last to do it, 1941)

Someone winning 30 games (Denny McLain 1968)

Any others you guys can think of?

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it'd be able the Padres having another winning season. I think the 4 straight playoff CG's is more likely.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2005 AL LCS, White Sox lose the first game to the Angels. They then proceed to win the next 4 games...with their pitcher going for a complete game all 4 games. No bullpen use at all. I forget the order but it was Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia.

I don't think that will ever happen again (4 consecutive complete game victories in the playoffs).

Other never repeatable events (IMO):

2 consecutive no hitters (maybe but I doubt it....Vander Meer in 1938)

Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak (no way until the universe ends. Seriously, no one even gets close to 40 so Pete Rose's NL 44 might be untouchable too. Dimaggio's is for sure)

White Sox scored 11 runs in one inning on one hit (1959)

Don Larsen's perfecto in the World Series (1956)

Someone hitting .400 for the entire year (Ted Williams last to do it, 1941)

Someone winning 30 games (Denny McLain 1968)

Any others you guys can think of?
These are all things I could see happening in the next 100 years. I'm looking solely at 100 years, because if MLB were to be played for the next 300 million years, all of these would certainly happen.

56 game hit streak isn't really a matter of someone being an awesome player, it's really just a lot of luck. Jolting' Joe hit .408 during his steak; Rollins hit .379 during his 36 game hit steak, Dan Uggla hit .382 during his 33 game hit steak in 2011. These aren't wide margins. If I had more time, I'm sure I could find 56 game spans with higher batting averages than .408. 56 games is amazing, but if baseball lasts long enough, it's surely not unbreakable IMO.

Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series is certainly not untouchable. Roy Halladay was a close 1-2 pitch called a ball away from a perfect game in the 2011 NLDS. Furthermore, it doesn't take an amazing amount of talent to pitch a perfect game. It's one game; and anything can happen in one game. It's not like hitting 73 home runs in a season, where you have to be consistently good. Hell, Larsen had a career 3.78 ERA/3.94 FIP in 1,548 IP, good for an 11 WAR. Hardly an amazing pitcher. This will happen again, but it just might take some time.

Hitting .400 in a season might be the hardest of the ones I consider likely to happen, but I do think it will happen. In order for me to consider something highly unlikely to happen, I like to be able to see that no one has even come close to repeating it, like the Sox scoring 11 runs with one hit in an inning. Tony Gwynn hit .394 in 1994. Now I did read that he would have had to hit something like ~.410 to reach .400, but if someone in the last ~20 years came within 6 points of .400, I don't deem it unlikely to happen. All it takes is one guy to make ridiculous contact, have speed, and not hit for power so he doesn't get walked.

I think someone will win 30 games in the next 100 years, because I think there will be a huge shift in a starting pitcher's role. Instead of someone going 6 or 7 innings, they will only go 4; 5 tops, and then give the ball to another "starting pitcher" to finish the last 4 or 5 innings. (A win will have to be redefined to pitching 4 innings and leaving with the win, and if this change occurs, I think that will happen, provided there are still people who give half a shit about a "win"). Why this change? Because of the increase in wOBA and hitting in general the third time through the order. This change explains it nicely- Baseball Prospectus | Baseball ProGUESTus: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Times Through the Order Penalty.
With SP going only 4 innings, and better pitchers coming in after them than typical relievers, I think 30 wins is possible in the next 100 years (but again- who cares?)

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Father and son going back to back HR's will never happen again

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton and Cali Ann Kershaw are going to throw back-to-back no-hitters as members of the first Father/Daughter pitching rotation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Griffeys are amazing. But I can conceivably see something similar happening again some day. There a lot of 2nd/3rd gen players in the game...