• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will 'simplified' defense work for the Dolphins?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't hurt to try it you can build on it as the season progresses getting stronger along the way.

Funny how they mentioned the pats offense being more complex...don't they only throw to Edelman and Gronk? How simpler can they get?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't hurt to try it you can build on it as the season progresses getting stronger along the way.

Funny how they mentioned the pats offense being more complex...don't they only throw to Edelman and Gronk? How simpler can they get?

Edelman to Amendola?????

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edelman to Amendola?????
Complex? That was a trick play. For the most part pats focus on what works and keep doing it until their opponents dummy up. Throw to Edelman and Gronk repeat...any idiot can see this except our D coordinator.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complex? That was a trick play. For the most part pats focus on what works and keep doing it until their opponents dummy up. Throw to Edelman and Gronk repeat...any idiot can see this except our D coordinator.

We are not complex - 70% of the time. It gets a little tougher after that....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not complex - 70% of the time. It gets a little tougher after that....
I do admit that in the playoffs pats got more creative mainly with trick plays but not overly complex. I'd just simplify my D and say cover Edelman and Gronk make them beat you elsewhere...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do admit that in the playoffs pats got more creative mainly with trick plays but not overly complex. I'd just simplify my D and say cover Edelman and Gronk make them beat you elsewhere...
It has been tried. The problem with a simple defense vs. a more complex game plan, the elite QB's / Offenses will pick apart a simple defense.
Half the success the Pats D has had, The D, even though they get beat, offense's have a hard time sustaining long drives. The complexity of the Pat's D causes breakdown and big plays stop the drive - even when they are seemingly getting "out-played"

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southieinnc,

I wouldn't mind having an intelligent discussion with you but your disrespectful Avatar makes me want to ignore you.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats up fellas? I've been away for awhile, thought I'd stop in & talk some football. That being said, I've been pretty happy thusfar with our off season, signing Suh was no doubt huge and I believe Parker is the real deal. That being said, I just wanted to remind some of you guys about something that took place quite a few years ago in Miami. I want to say it was 2001, maybe 2003-I don't feel like researching it right now but most of you will undoubtedly remember what I'm referring to. During the season of which I speak of, Jason Taylor had an amazing season. What, 20+ sacks? He was virtually unstoppable that year....I think we had around the 7th ranked defense, Zach Thomas had a huge year as well. Ricky Williams (if I remember correctly) had a monster year. That season Ricky had almost 2000 yds on the ground, & I'm pretty sure we had 2 or 3 guys with a lot of picks in our secondary. There were several guys that had huge years for Miami that season....& guess what? No playoffs...I think our record was 8-8 or 7-9, but because of absolutely HORRIBLE coaching/game management( thanks Dave), that season was completely irrelevant. Sound familiar? Now listen, I realize I've been probably Philbins biggest critic for a very long time.....and the only reason I bring all this up is because I was thinking the other day about all the seemingly terrific moves the fins have made this off season, yet Philbin is still our head coach and our D coordinator is still an idiot. I can personally see Suh having a huge season(pro-bowl), I can see Tannehill being even better(possible pro-bowl), and I can see Parker being even better that advertised.....and I can REALLY see us missing the playoffs....again! I can honestly say I hope Joe 'clueless' Philbin has finally figured it out and takes this team to the next level. But I don't see it happening and would not be shocked if Buffalo AND the Jets finish in front of us-albeit big seasons from several Miami Dolphin players, kinda like in 2000whatever. I believe this team is FINALLY 1 good head coach away from putting together a truly special championship season, and I don't see this ending well for Ole Joe. Just my opinion.....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the moves too but I think that if the oline can be decent so will the Fins. Philbin just has to stay out of the headlines and they'll be fine. The D should be strong with the dline they have that's the key. Stop the run and that will solve a lot of last seasons problems and last second losses.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with the additions in talent to the Fins in the offseason & with so few big losses in talent other than Clay the Fins should make the playoffs.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE the simplified defense: I think it's a great idea. It will allow players like C. McCain to use his athleticism to make plays rather than overthinking. I think it will also benefit Misi because he has les experience at MLB than he has at OLB.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the moves too but I think that if the oline can be decent so will the Fins. Philbin just has to stay out of the headlines and they'll be fine. The D should be strong with the dline they have that's the key. Stop the run and that will solve a lot of last seasons problems and last second losses.
bump

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good bump as they didn't simplify the D like they discussed and Philbin allowed a lot of this to happen. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I think Campbell will go back to hard nose football...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good bump as they didn't simplify the D like they discussed and Philbin allowed a lot of this to happen. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I think Campbell will go back to hard nose football...
So. During the off season I picked Miami to go 8-8. As I remember, your 2nd half year schedule is brutal.
Is it fair to expect Campbell to improve a struggling team this year after inheriting the problems and getting a tough schedule?
I think he could improve the team effort and still not show up in wins (this year)

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. During the off season I picked Miami to go 8-8. As I remember, your 2nd half year schedule is brutal.
Is it fair to expect Campbell to improve a struggling team this year after inheriting the problems and getting a tough schedule?
I think he could improve the team effort and still not show up in wins (this year)
Yes that's a fair assumption and I like the fact that he's getting a chance to try. We'll see what happens...