• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Michigan St Win the Legends Division?

Will Michigan St Win the Legends Division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sparty had Kenny Guiton starting, they'd be a top 10 team nationally.

hell, if any team had Guiton starting, they'd be highly ranked.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we thought our defense was the shit coming out of the first 2 weeks and look what happened when we played offenses with a pulse....30+ pts to *SU and Ohio. Until MSU plays a decent offense (NW/Neb), I'm not sold.

My personal opinion is that Northwestern is getting too much love (the Rudy/Fitz factor).
For all practical purposes it's the same offense they had last year and they weren't lighting up the scoreboard week in and week out. The lost to Penn St, Nebraska, and Michigan. They did not play Ohio St or Wisconsin.

Defensively, they are far from stellar.

Fitz is a good coach, but he is limited in players across the board and has depth factors. I think that will show against a physical team, on the road, with a good LB corps, like Wisconsin.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Michigan State winning the Legends. After watching Indiana last week, I think their could be an upset happening in East Lansing this weekend.

Regardless of whether they lose to Indiana, they have this part of the schedule to deal with:
November 2nd vs. Michigan
November 16th @ Neb
November 23rd @ NW

I think they lose 2 of those 3 games. Just my two cents.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Michigan State winning the Legends. After watching Indiana last week, I think their could be an upset happening in East Lansing this weekend.

Regardless of whether they lose to Indiana, they have this part of the schedule to deal with:
November 2nd vs. Michigan
November 16th @ Neb
November 23rd @ NW

I think they lose 2 of those 3 games. Just my two cents.

What if their defense is as good as advertised and their offense stays on the pace they showed against a good Iowa defense?

Mich St's defense isn't a flash in the pan. They were good last year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if their defense is as good as advertised and their offense stays on the pace they showed against a good Iowa defense?

What if they stay ranked 107th in passing yards, 64th in rushing yards, and 73rd in points for? (and those rankings are after the Iowa game) Do you still think they win all those games or 2 out of 3?

Mich St's defense isn't a flash in the pan. They were good last year.
They were good last year and only managed a 7-6 record? I think that speaks volumes. Remember they were 4-2 starting out last year, fortunately they don't have Ohio State on the schedule this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their passing offense was much improved against Iowa @ 277 yds, which would rank 35th against todays national averages. There were 2 passing TD's.

Iowa's pass defense is ranked 25th. Iowa is a good defensive team overall.

Mich St replaced their OC in 2013. (yeah I know Ohio St didn't like him). I'd expect it would take a few games to get his system in place.

Defense is a definite plus when it comes to winning championships and it's not like Mich St hasn't already won the Legends before (2011).

We shall see if their offense waking up against Iowa was an anomaly or not.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they will not. they will have one SOS game (same old sparty) and snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory (Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa, Nebraska last year). Northwestern seems to be screaming that to me for this season. I expect them to lose on top of that Michigan or Iowa. Despite being given the easiest possible schedule, they will find a way to muck it all up.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Frankly? I don't either. I've been a fan far too long to confidently assume MSU wins those games they're supposed to win...almost as strongly as I expect them to win several of those games they're supposed to lose. Make sense? I know. Schizophrenia runs deep in Sparta.

MSU plays IU, Purdue and @Illinois in October. They saw IU rack up 17 1st Qtr unanswered pts last year...believe it, Sparty knows how explosive the Hoosiers were/are - they'll be up & ready. I think they'll handle IU and Purdue, then lose @ Champaign (that's when my sofa burns.) Of the four remaining games (Michigan, @Northwestern, @Nebraska and Minnesota) they take 2...maybe 3...but after losing in Champaign, they're effectively out of the race...and the only satisfaction remaining would be to kick the skunkbears out of the race too.

Nebraska wins the division. Their toughest game remaining is @ Michigan the week after UM/MSU. Huskers will be playing with a full roster...Michigan's sidelines will be crowded with recuperating, non-playing starters.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total Defense.............................. 1
Rushing Defense........................... 1
Passing Yards Allowed.................... 8
Team Passing Efficiency Defense...... 1
Scoring Defense............................ 7
3rd Down Converstion Pct Defense.... 1
3rd Down Converstion Pct Defense.... 1

That is just sick.

Yeah, except let's look at the offense MSU has faced so far by total offense:

Western Michigan: #115
USF: #122
Youngstown State: FCS so not ranked
Notre Dame: #87
Iowa: #62

Yes folks, Iowa was MSU's biggest offensive test so far and they rank outside of the top 50 offenses in the game. I'm not saying MSU's defense isn't any good, I just don't think they're good enough to win the division. I certainly think Nebraska, NW and Mich are better teams and at least one should finish higher in the division than MSU.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly think Nebraska, NW and Mich are better teams and at least one should finish higher in the division than MSU.

s'good to know that all four teams will be playing each of the other three teams...no arguing SoS here.

I think NW goes 0-3...Michigan goes 1-2...MSU goes 2-1...and Nebraska goes 3-0.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, except let's look at the offense MSU has faced so far by total offense:

Western Michigan: #115
USF: #122
Youngstown State: FCS so not ranked
Notre Dame: #87
Iowa: #62

Yes folks, Iowa was MSU's biggest offensive test so far and they rank outside of the top 50 offenses in the game. I'm not saying MSU's defense isn't any good, I just don't think they're good enough to win the division. I certainly think Nebraska, NW and Mich are better teams and at least one should finish higher in the division than MSU.

Iowa entered the game 19th nationally in Rushing Offense and came out 38th.
Iowa entered 48th in Total Offense and came out 62nd.

Iowa has a good defense and folks weren't expecting MSU to put 26 pts on them offensively.

Just saying if the MSU offense has finally broken out of it's slump, look out. One game is not a trend, so it has yet to be determined.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s'good to know that all four teams will be playing each of the other three teams...no arguing SoS here.

I think NW goes 0-3...Michigan goes 1-2...MSU goes 2-1...and Nebraska goes 3-0.

I've gotta say, no way. Unless NW completely folds up shop, they'll go either 2-1 or 3-0. They have the best offense out of the group you just described.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense is definitely good enough, but I'm not totally sold on that offense. One good game against Iowa isn't enough to sell me. But, I definitely think Michigan State is in as good of a position as anyone.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets put it this way.

Iowa has a good defense (far better than average). Mich St offense scored 26. Not their defense (this time).

Iowa had a good rushing offense (19th going into the game). They had 23 yds rushing total. Ruddock (their qb) had 11, and Weisman had 9. I have no idea who had the other 3, nor does it really matter.

The problem with that Iowa game is you have to realize conservative Kirk coached the game...he fucked up early by not throwing to open the run, hence like 5 straight 3 and outs...our defense was on the field entirely too long to be effective in the second half...granted Iowa doesn't have the offense to offset that defense although alot of us Hawk fans felt as if we might...MSU will struggle against teams like NW, Michigan and Nebraska due to the fact that those teams can actually move the ball...I say MSU is a 9-3 team at best

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice stats against a clown schedule.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gotta say, no way.

:suds:

probly right...
I just wanted to poke my walverine friends.

and NW did move pretty well last week, well enough to keep the game interesting...so

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks OP, for the recognition given a truly remarkable cfb defense.
I credit AC/DC Pat Narduzzi 100%.

Gonna miss that guy.

It's been a long time coming. I can't say I'll miss that guy and hope he ends up head coaching in the Big 12 or ACC. West Virginia, Pitt...?

At this point I don't think he'll entertain any lesser offers.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense is definitely good enough, but I'm not totally sold on that offense. One good game against Iowa isn't enough to sell me.

many folks in E. Lansing fear your lack of confidence might be correct. I'm not one of them. Yall been gleefully arguing a weak MSU Offense because our head coach couldn't make up his mind re: QB until...fuck...until the 5th week of the season. Meanwhile, Sparty's Special Teams have performed and the Defense has impressed most rational cfb fans (like they did last year, and in 2011, 2010, etc).

You're right about 'one good game' though...there have been a few 'surprise games' but...I don't think that anybody's had one good game, yet. I saw nothing by nobody in the games last week that didn't say both divisions are wide open.

even for late-maturing green guys.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No is the correct answer. Michigan St defense is going to tire as the season goes along. Their offense is not doing enough to keep them off the field for more than a few snaps. I think NW wins the Legends this season if they stay healthy.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State's offense looking tough today against Indiana. Although we have to remember....it is Indiana.