• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Eastern Michigan University drop football?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If EMU drops football, will anybody even notice?

EMU faculty, students support dropping football program, report says

The EMU athletic department is bleeding cash. EMU is a commuter school with almost no support for the football program. It would probably be best for the school to cut it's losses and dump football.

If EMU drops football, I would imagine the MAC would dump EMU. However, if that happens, EMU could still remain Division 1 in other sports by going to the Horizon League. I see no reason why the Horizon League would not accept EMU with open arms.
HorizonLeague.com | Horizon League

So....

....If the MAC losses EMU, they would be down to 11 members.
I could see a couple replacement candidates in either Illinois State or Eastern Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky desires FBS membership... they were one of three finalists for Sun Belt membership (along with Liberty and Coastal Carolina), but the Sun Belt chose Coastal Carolina.

Also, don't forget Army and James Madison as possible MAC candidates. I doubt the MAC would look west, but if they do, there is Northern Iowa and North Dakota State.

Here is an article from last October regarding possible MAC expansion candidates:
Which schools could join the MAC with expansion?

I suggest that the MAC add three schools and go to 14 members. Add Illinois State, James Madison, and Army.

Also.... now that the Sun Belt is dumping New Mexico State and Idaho, I could eventually see both Eastern Kentucky and Liberty possibly getting spots in the Sun Belt.

Last edited:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean they'd rather drop football altogether than move down to a dying FCS where they would have even worse attendance and the program would become even more of a financial burden on the school? Color me surprised.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think EMU has loads of cash seeing how they are a regular B1G OOC opponent.....

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think they used too much money on their brick wall and sledge hammer
083014-CFB-East-Michigan-EPIC-ENTRANCE-FAIL-SS-PI.vadapt.320.low.5.jpg

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the bigger question is would anyone really care?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know, it's a irrelevant team anyway.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the bigger question is would anyone really care?
the MAC teams would due to losing a team they likely go in to with at least a 90% chance of beating. 15 wins in conference in the last 10 years.
After that going forward depending on when this were to happen (doubt they would do it before 16 season) then Charlotte, Rutgers, Kentucky, Army, Purdue, San Diego State, Illinois, and Missouri would all be looking to fill the schedule
outside of those teams No no one else would care

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Footballs days may be over....

image.jpg

But tBig Brick Dick ain't goin anywhere.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh heh heh..."erected"

I'd feel bad about once or twice a year when I normally rock their logo as they play some B1G school, but otherwise, meh.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In open letter, Eastern Michigan says ‘we have absolutely no plans to eliminate football’
In what’s titled an “Open Letter to the EMU Campus Community, Alumni, Friends and Supporters,” and attributed to interim EMU president Donald Loppnow, president-electJames Smith, board of regents chair Mike Morris as well as seven other regents, the school has stated unequivocally that “[w]e have absolutely no plans to eliminate football or move into any other division or conference.”

“Any headlines or claims that Eastern is considering dropping football, or reducing our support of the program in any way, are false,” the letter further, and emphatically, added.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If EMU disappears then who will I use to start my football career in games?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lost respect for Eastern Michigan in 1991 when administration decided to get 'politically correct' by dumping the nickname Hurons, and switching to Eagles.
:L

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If EMU drops football, will anybody even notice?

EMU faculty, students support dropping football program, report says

The EMU athletic department is bleeding cash. EMU is a commuter school with almost no support for the football program. It would probably be best for the school to cut it's losses and dump football.

If EMU drops football, I would imagine the MAC would dump EMU. However, if that happens, EMU could still remain Division 1 in other sports by going to the Horizon League. I see no reason why the Horizon League would not accept EMU with open arms.
HorizonLeague.com | Horizon League

So....

....If the MAC losses EMU, they would be down to 11 members.
I could see a couple replacement candidates in either Illinois State or Eastern Kentucky. Eastern Kentucky desires FBS membership... they were one of three finalists for Sun Belt membership (along with Liberty and Coastal Carolina), but the Sun Belt chose Coastal Carolina.

Also, don't forget Army and James Madison as possible MAC candidates. I doubt the MAC would look west, but if they do, there is Northern Iowa and North Dakota State.

Here is an article from last October regarding possible MAC expansion candidates:
Which schools could join the MAC with expansion?

I suggest that the MAC add three schools and go to 14 members. Add Illinois State, James Madison, and Army.

Also.... now that the Sun Belt is dumping New Mexico State and Idaho, I could eventually see both Eastern Kentucky and Liberty possibly getting spots in the Sun Belt.

Ohio State will notice. They probably have them scheduled for the next 8 years.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome landmark (recognized as the "Most Phallic Building in the World")...
erected in 1899
Huh - I thought that was the Coit Tower in San Francisco. A giant phallic symbol built by Lillian Coit's city beautification fund to thank all of the city's firemen that she slept with.

250px-Coittower1.jpg

Gotta admit though - that EMU tower is one Dildo of a building!