• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will derek holland ever reach his potential?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old thread but wasn't sure where to post this nifty stat.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a bad outing winding. So did Verlander. Fact is holland is pitching like a #2 this season.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He had a bad outing winding. So did Verlander. Fact is holland is pitching like a #2 this season.

Yes, may have to back off that HSO although not as significant a drop off as Tepesch or Grimm ... I believe Holland's ERA reflects a considerable drop off (elevation) when he doesn't get run support ... 4.19 (0-2 runs scored) versus 1.34ERA (3-5 runs scored).

My sense is that while Yu's ERA is little changed with run support ... Grimm and Tepesch very much so ... and to a lesser extent Holland have struggled when TEX does not score more than 2 runs.

Buzz and Mark were talking about this about Tepesch last night after he gave up the Kipnes HR in the top of the 5th. There wasn't an infielder out there to come over and talk to him nor did AJ come out to give him the message that Mark said needed to be delivered. Moffett didn't come out until after the Santana double. Tepesch was left on an island.

Holland still has to get messages from Wash to get him to really focus in. A guy who is a real #2 ought to just look in the dugout and get Wash's message eye to eye without the visit. He knows what he needs to do.

The more I think about it ... this is a job that Kinsler needs to take on. Beltre can't or will not do it ... the job falls to Kinsler.

Off topic I understand ... but everything affects everything ... and while Holland has been good this year he still wobbles and unless he's getting reminders I don't see him performing as a #2 ... maybe a 2.5.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, may have to back off that HSO although not as significant a drop off as Tepesch or Grimm ... I believe Holland's ERA reflects a considerable drop off (elevation) when he doesn't get run support ... 4.19 (0-2 runs scored) versus 1.34ERA (3-5 runs scored).

My sense is that while Yu's ERA is little changed with run support ... Grimm and Tepesch very much so ... and to a lesser extent Holland have struggled when TEX does not score more than 2 runs.

Buzz and Mark were talking about this about Tepesch last night after he gave up the Kipnes HR in the top of the 5th. There wasn't an infielder out there to come over and talk to him nor did AJ come out to give him the message that Mark said needed to be delivered. Moffett didn't come out until after the Santana double. Tepesch was left on an island.

Holland still has to get messages from Wash to get him to really focus in. A guy who is a real #2 ought to just look in the dugout and get Wash's message eye to eye without the visit. He knows what he needs to do.

The more I think about it ... this is a job that Kinsler needs to take on. Beltre can't or will not do it ... the job falls to Kinsler.

Off topic I understand ... but everything affects everything ... and while Holland has been good this year he still wobbles and unless he's getting reminders I don't see him performing as a #2 ... maybe a 2.5.

I think holland will be fine, hopefully.