• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wild Card Saturday: Oakland Raiders @ Houston Texans

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shhh, I'm playing the bandwagon fan game with @cdumler7.

It's been snowing for 6 hours up here and we still have less than 2" on the ground. By the time it stops I'll have the 3" I need to go out and make some easy $$$ so I'm good with that.

Never said you were a band wagon fan. I said the Pats fan base grew at an alarming rate in the early 2000's. It happens. Band wagon fans don't want to cheer for the Browns who always lose. And I'm sorry that I got excited to watch the Raiders lose today. Didn't know rival fans couldn't be happy to see the team they dislike the most lose and celebrate that.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said you were a band wagon fan. I said the Pats fan base grew at an alarming rate in the early 2000's. It happens. Band wagon fans don't want to cheer for the Browns who always lose. And I'm sorry that I got excited to watch the Raiders lose today. Didn't know rival fans couldn't be happy to see the team they dislike the most lose and celebrate that.

The local fan base has been strong since the days of Jim Plunkett. Maybe you should comment on that which you know something about?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Handicappers will tell you that it's bad luck to talk about your bets until the game is over.

Yeah, but I was rubbing my mushroom tip with my left hand, while I posted with my right, so it's actually good luck.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local fan base has been strong since the days of Jim Plunkett. Maybe you should comment on that which you know something about?

Oh I understand it all too well. The Patriots sell out streak is 1994. For the Broncos 1970.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a gambler, but that is an interesting way of working around the real spread. Obviously, you need the over which at 38 is reachable if Detroit plays decent.

I only gamble on the NFL playoffs.

I start with $50 per wild card game and bet every game until the money runs out, or I win on the SB.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known Rex for a long time. Total bandwagoner. Before the Red Sox started winning championships, he was a huge Matt Stairs fan.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I understand it all too well. The Patriots sell out streak is 1994. For the Broncos 1970.

The Donkeys are the only NFL team within a 500 mile radius, whoopee shit.

Last edited:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known Rex for a long time. Total bandwagoner. Before the Red Sox started winning championships, he was a huge Matt Stairs fan.

Stairs, the overrated, fat benchwarmer/DH is an old Canadian hockey player so he gets a pass from me.

Even though he sucked.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Donkeys are the only NFL within a 500 mile radius, whoopee shit.

Greater Boston area over 4.7 million people. Greater Denver area 2.8 million. Man it would be nice to have those extra 2 million people to tap into.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greater Boston area over 4.7 million people. Greater Denver area 2.8 million. Man it would be nice to have those extra 2 million people to tap into.

Greater Boston area, all 4 major sports + soccer, proximity to hundreds of miles of coastline, NYC, Canada and 5 NFL teams.

There's a bit more to do around here than hunting peyote buttons in the foothills.

BTW 4 > 3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greater Boston area, all 4 major sports + soccer, proximity to hundreds of miles of coastline, NYC, Canada and 5 NFL teams.

There's a bit more to do around here than hunting peyote buttons in the foothills.

BTW 4 > 3

And there is plenty to do around the Denver area as well. Guessing you have never been since you seem to be making that kind of suggestion. I guess those Rocky Mountains are not fun in your eyes. Let's see all 4 major sports+Soccer in Denver as well. So the best you got is 5 other NFL teams in the area. Do you really want me to compare the population of that area to the 500 miles around Denver? I don't think you are going to like the results.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is plenty to do around the Denver area as well. Guessing you have never been since you seem to be making that kind of suggestion. I guess those Rocky Mountains are not fun in your eyes. Let's see all 4 major sports+Soccer in Denver as well. So the best you got is 5 other NFL teams in the area. Do you really want me to compare the population of that area to the 500 miles around Denver? I don't think you are going to like the results.

I lived in Denver for 5 months in 1978 and I have plenty of mountains and a terrific national forest 1 hour north of me.

You can compare whatever you like. I don't care too much about the local yokels that root for the Donkeys. Pretty sure I made myself clear several pages ago.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in Denver for 5 months in 1978 and I have plenty of mountains and a terrific national forest 1 hour north of me.

You can compare whatever you like. I don't care too much about the local yokels that root for the Donkeys. Pretty sure I made myself clear several pages ago.

For not caring you sure seem very interested in this conversation and topic.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15826861_1362489570464394_4309144049698389904_n.jpg

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumler you have uncharacteristically gotten your ass handed to you in this thread.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumler you have uncharacteristically gotten your ass handed to you in this thread.

Not sure how...

I started in this thread excited about a hated division rival getting embarrassed. Wow that has never happened in the history of NFL fans.

He got after me for celebrating even though my team didn't make the playoffs. So I just pointed out that our Super Bowl victory helps dampen some of that blow and then seeing a hated rival fall like they did helps out all the more. Again wow earth shattering.

Then we got into the whole conversation about population that a team has to pull from. Well let's see the population of the state of Colorado is just a little more than the greater Boston area but yeah let's talk about how much easier it is for the Broncos getting fans to their stadium.

Broncos also have one of the 3 longest sellout streaks in the entire NFL. So fans have been coming around for long before the team was even good.

Nothing I have said has been earth shattering or should be unexpected in a thread like this. Not sure why Rex got so upset about a Bronco fan commenting about liking what he saw today.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No axe to grind either way for me, but I wanted to see OAK at full strength play that game so I can empathize with the Raider nation. But it's football, players get hurt, the games still must be played...Texans were clearly the better team.

Excited? We're all wired differently but when it comes to DIV rivals...I know a lot of DIV rivals hate the Steelers and want to see them lose no matter what, and that's cool...I get it.

I hate rivals when my team is playing against them. When the outcome has no effect on my team, it's just a game then, whatever happens, happens.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No axe to grind either way for me, but I wanted to see OAK at full strength play that game so I can empathize with the Raider nation. But it's football, players get hurt, the games still must be played...Texans were clearly the better team.

Excited? We're all wired differently but when it comes to DIV rivals...I know a lot of DIV rivals hate the Steelers and want to see them lose no matter what, and that's cool...I get it.

I hate rivals when my team is playing against them. When the outcome has no effect on my team, it's just a game then, whatever happens, happens.

Raiders when they were even at full strength still only went 1-3 against playoff teams in the regular season. The one game they won was against the Texans in a very controversial game. So while I will tip my hat to the Raiders playing well this year they still haven't figured out how to win consistently against some of the better teams in the league. So to me the Carr injury wasn't the only reason they lost this game. Plenty more left to get done. Good step in the right direction for the franchise but again showing they have plenty of room to grow.

As for the division rival thing...Broncos and Raiders fans have hated each other for as long as I can remember. We've had coaches in the past fired by the Raiders and come to the Broncos making sure if there are 2 games on our schedule we don't lose it is against the Raiders. So us fans have caught on to that same dislike of the Raiders. Add to it right now as a Bronco fan Del Rio being the coach just makes it all the sweeter to beat a coach that left. Del Rio didn't exactly leave on the best of turns. He kind of burned some bridges on his way out of town.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders when they were even at full strength still only went 1-3 against playoff teams in the regular season. The one game they won was against the Texans in a very controversial game. So while I will tip my hat to the Raiders playing well this year they still haven't figured out how to win consistently against some of the better teams in the league. So to me the Carr injury wasn't the only reason they lost this game. Plenty more left to get done. Good step in the right direction for the franchise but again showing they have plenty of room to grow.

As for the division rival thing...Broncos and Raiders fans have hated each other for as long as I can remember. We've had coaches in the past fired by the Raiders and come to the Broncos making sure if there are 2 games on our schedule we don't lose it is against the Raiders. So us fans have caught on to that same dislike of the Raiders. Add to it right now as a Bronco fan Del Rio being the coach just makes it all the sweeter to beat a coach that left. Del Rio didn't exactly leave on the best of turns. He kind of burned some bridges on his way out of town.

OAK...how they got to 12-4 was certainly a by-product of the schedule...no question. Yes, I think we can point to Carr not playing as a major factor as you would any playoff team losing their starting QB. Would they have won with Carr...I have no clue, but I feel pretty comfortable saying the game would've been more competitive.

Fans...Like I said, we're all wired differently...it's not me, but I understand, not bothered in the least that you took delight in seeing OAK lose.