• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wild Card Draft Picks

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, we all know what we think the team needs and will hopefully focus on, in the upcoming draft... But we also know Baalke and staff always have some cards up their sleeves and often go away from the "normal" thinking...

Does anyone want to make any non-conventional picks or have any thoughts on what direction Baalke might go that isn't on the immediate radar?

For instance, I think theres a good chance he drafts a Guard in the second. With Iupati's upcoming new contract and his injured ankle, I could see Baalke drafting his replacement if the right guy is there in the second or third round...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, we all know what we think the team needs and will hopefully focus on, in the upcoming draft... But we also know Baalke and staff always have some cards up their sleeves and often go away from the "normal" thinking...

Does anyone want to make any non-conventional picks or have any thoughts on what direction Baalke might go that isn't on the immediate radar?

For instance, I think theres a good chance he drafts a Guard in the second. With Iupati's upcoming new contract and his injured ankle, I could see Baalke drafting his replacement if the right guy is there in the second or third round...

but this could apply to most positions?

in the larger picture, want Baalke to get the most talent he can. if it turns out great value is a Guard.....2nd or 3rd round...........fine by me. but the main reason you'd draft Guard, is because THAT player is projected very good. Iupati's situation would factor in, but not nearly as much

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but this could apply to most positions?

in the larger picture, want Baalke to get the most talent he can. if it turns out great value is a Guard.....2nd or 3rd round...........fine by me. but the main reason you'd draft Guard, is because THAT player is projected very good. Iupati's situation would factor in, but not nearly as much

Sure, but Baalke tends to target certain positions for each pick don't you think? Not necessarily BPA, but more like a need/BPA...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure, but Baalke tends to target certain positions for each pick don't you think? Not necessarily BPA, but more like a need/BPA...

just my opinion...........no, don't think Baalke targets certain positions? we could go back and make a strong case for it (1st round), but he said he's a BPA type and I tend to believe him. "tend to" because of his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.

there will always be an eye toward Need, but don't think he has too much of it? also, do get that loaded teams have more liberty to go Need. but IMO they shouldn't do it say first three rounds.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just my opinion...........no, don't think Baalke targets certain positions? we could go back and make a strong case for it (1st round), but he said he's a BPA type and I tend to believe him. "tend to" because of his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.

there will always be an eye toward Need, but don't think he has too much of it? also, do get that loaded teams have more liberty to go Need. but IMO they shouldn't do it say first three rounds.

When I think of LMJ, I can't imagine that was his BPA? I thought it was more of a need type pick, adding speed at the skill positions seemed to be a priority of his at the time. But to what you said, he also selected Tank last year which did seem to be the BPA. Who knows what Baalke is thinking, which is the reason for the thread... lol

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When I think of LMJ, I can't imagine that was his BPA? I thought it was more of a need type pick, adding speed at the skill positions seemed to be a priority of his at the time. But to what you said, he also selected Tank last year which did seem to be the BPA. Who knows what Baalke is thinking, which is the reason for the thread... lol

I agree. AJ Jenkins and LMJ were "need" picks for the exact reason you mentioned. But it wasn't a lack of speed that caused the Niners to lose to the Giants. So I wonder why they thought adding a few speedy players would help. BPA throughout the entire 2012 draft would have been totally fine. IMO BPA at pick 30 was Doug Martin. BPA at pick 61 was Reuben Randle. Things would be so different if we had those two.

That 2012 draft closed the gap between us the Seahawks in a hurry. They killed it with Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson in rounds 1-3.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Its a shame our coaches are too unyielding in their offensive philosophy and are not astute enough to figure out how to use him properly

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they could go Guard in the 1st if they don't feel comfortable with Loony starting. If they do then they would probably look for day 3 prospects.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think he's said he considers need and best available fit. Last year he was definitely targeting needs, though. FS in the first. DE in the second - that was certainly a value pick, but also a need as Justin Smith is getting older and we hadn't taken a DE high in years. TE in the second to replace Walker. He traded up for two of those guys. Lemonier might have been more about value, but it's a premium position and again, Baalke traded up.

There is no black and white in the draft. A good GM has to take need, talent, fit, salary cap, and a number of other factors into consideration. Turning a blind eye to any one area would be foolish.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

no question, nobody (at least VERY few) mentioned Aldon, Jenkins, and Reid? Reid was mentioned but not many felt we'd trade up to get him.

again, just my opinion, we can't know who the BPA (specific to the 49ers) would be anyway?

from what I'm reading so far, turns out our biggest needs (WR and CB) are strong this draft? so odds are we'll get players who happen to fill bigger needs?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he's said he considers need and best available fit. Last year he was definitely targeting needs, though. FS in the first. DE in the second - that was certainly a value pick, but also a need as Justin Smith is getting older and we hadn't taken a DE high in years. TE in the second to replace Walker. He traded up for two of those guys. Lemonier might have been more about value, but it's a premium position and again, Baalke traded up.

There is no black and white in the draft. A good GM has to take need, talent, fit, salary cap, and a number of other factors into consideration. Turning a blind eye to any one area would be foolish.

yes, as i ALREADY said, there will always be an eye on Need. so it is a matter of how far you lean to the 'BPA' or 'Need' side? I've always been far over to the 'BPA' side, cause you need to come away with talent. you don't want to look back 3 years and say I should've picked "him" instead.

if you lean too far to the Need side, that's being short sighted. rosters change quickly year to year, so Needs change quickly too.

obviously, if the 'BPA' happens to fill the highest Need, that is ideal. if you want to argue that happened LAST year, fine with me. I'd expect that will happen again this year, in round 1.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they could go Guard in the 1st if they don't feel comfortable with Loony starting. If they do then they would probably look for day 3 prospects.

Wild card by position? Olb....

These were the kind of bold predictions (or at least off the wall guesses) I was hoping to get out of this thread...

:suds:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to trade up for either:
Watkins- Go all in play
Evans: almost all in
Dennard: safe play to move up.