• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why was Magic better than Bird?

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif
Man he does look like a foot and a potato had a baby.

Reactions: TJL

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were pretty even, and when two players are pretty even it comes down to titles, and not only does it come down it to titles they played head to head in multiple championships and Magic got the upper hand.

But I wouldn't really say as a player that Magic was better, but he has a better resume.

It is interesting though, because Magic had more talent on his side hands down. Those Celtics were tough as nails, but aside from the '86 group where Walton re-emerged as a player (when they didn't play LA), I don't think they had any business ever beating the Lakers.

Like everyone else, I have Magic well ahead of Bird, but I am not sure that is correct. I wonder what would have happened if the Celtics had drafted Magic and the Lakers Bird. Something tells me the Lakers would have still won more titles than Boston.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting though, because Magic had more talent on his side hands down. Those Celtics were tough as nails, but aside from the '86 group where Walton re-emerged as a player (when they didn't play LA), I don't think they had any business ever beating the Lakers.

Like everyone else, I have Magic well ahead of Bird, but I am not sure that is correct. I wonder what would have happened if the Celtics had drafted Magic and the Lakers Bird. Something tells me the Lakers would have still won more titles than Boston.
I have Magic at 3rd on my all time list and Bird on my 9nth.

Also, I disagree with the last part, I don't think Magic would win any titles as a member of those Celtics teams, not because he wasn't great, but I think other things would have gotten to him and he wouldn't have been catered like Buss catered to him.

Also, Bird was the leader of those teams out right, Magic didn't become the leader of the lakers till 86-87 when Riley finally told him it was time to take the mantle from Kareem.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't. Bird was better. Magic just had better supporting help for more of his career than Bird.

And the West was TRASH in the 80s. (Similar to the East since the 2000s-present) . Bird played in a tougher conference in the East with better teams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listed Magic 5 and Bird 7 so I dont think there is a huge difference.

Bird is kinda weird just due to his outside shooting not looking all that impressive right now but it was impressive back then. Magic's Win Shares per 48 are better than Birds by enough to think that Magic added a ton of value to the Lakers. He got steals and that led to fastbreaks and he was unstoppable on fastbreaks. I'm also not sure how the HIV factors into the longevity discussion but maybe thats a factor.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was perusing the Top 10 list thread, and I noticed that there was only one list(that I saw) that had Bird ranked higher than Magic. It wasn't mine, so I'm not arguing. But as a relatively younger poster(I didn't really start watching basketball until '95 or so), I'm curious as to the reasoning.

Bird was a better scorer, better rebounder, obviously much better from 3, and so far as I can tell from what ive seen, they were both very good defensively.

Is Magic the consensus better of the two because of the rings? The fact that he was 2-1 vs Bird in the Finals? The assists?

I'd like to know, especially from people who watched them play in real time, why Magic is almost always considered better?

If they were playing today, do you think Bird's skill set would be more valuable than Magic's?

Discuss..

Everything I would have said has already been covered by TJL and Shopson.

Only other things that I'd add are Market and personality.

Magic was very charismatic and Larry was stoic.

Magic was the rare combination of extreme style, with equal substance.

Playing in LA brought out the Hollywood elite, where Boston was more blue color.

If it makes you feel any better, Larry Legend was the GOAT of trolling...lol

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the West was TRASH in the 80s. (Similar to the East since the 2000s-present) . Bird played in a tougher conference in the East with better teams.

Actually thats a good point. The east was the NBA in that Era, with Sixers, Pistons, and even the Knicks.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't. Bird was better. Magic just had better supporting help for more of his career than Bird.

If you're going to troll (You're shit at it [no offense]) make sure that you keep your story straight.

Greatest NBA Player of all-time

1.Jordan

Big gap

Kareem

Small gap

Russell

Small gap

Magic

Tiny gap

Bird
Tiny gap
Wilt

And there's about 20 more of these where you say Magic > Bird

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i was gonna say i was back and see what was up until i saw that i couldnt even post on the main page and if thats the case--- boo hoo- fuck ya all.

@Mecca

how do you transfer dollars outside of a formalized bet?

and @Mecca

holy shit--- was that GoT amazing last night!

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i was gonna say i was back and see what was up until i saw that i couldnt even post on the main page and if thats the case--- boo hoo- fuck ya all.

@Mecca

how do you transfer dollars outside of a formalized bet?

and @Mecca

holy shit--- was that GoT amazing last night!
1bd.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
please say a prayer that i passed the bar exam

first day--

In the morning-- 2 90 minute essays

in the afternoon-- 6 essays that are 30 minutes each (in 1 hour blocks of 2 a piece)

second day--

100 multiple choicei n the AM for 3 hours

100 multiple choice in the PM for 3 hours

third day--

6 more half hour essays- in 1 hour blocks of 2 a piece....

freaking brutal- a test of endurance as much as intelligence if you ask me......was able to liberate and rest my mind after 5 days visiting one of my best friends in denver though!!!

back to work. First day back since June 19th

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

first day--

in the afternoon-- 6 essays that are 30 minutes each (in 1 hour blocks of 2 a piece)

second day--

third day--

freaking brutal- a test of endurance as much as intelligence if you ask me......was able to liberate and rest my mind after 5 days visiting one of my best friends in denver though!!!

Prayers up fam, stay woke.

997.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

first day--

second day--

third day--

Look what the cat dragged in.

Is this the bullshit story you're going for? I don't believe a lot of people are going to fall for that one.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i caught a lugia and moltres in denver as well!!! mwahahaha
No shit? That's legit, after Blastoise and Machamp I think Lugia was my favorite Pokemon, used to clone the fuck out of him on the silver version for Gameboy.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually thats a good point. The east was the NBA in that Era, with Sixers, Pistons, and even the Knicks.

Yep. Switch both guys on the teams , and Bird's career buries Magic's career pretty easy

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

first day--

second day--

third day--

....and there goes my thread. I only make em every once in a great while.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and there goes my thread. I only make em every once in a great while.
hey- Bird was great

most pissed off i have been at a baseball game since last years world series was seeing that hack hit a 3 run hr off cody allen last week in Boston after scrambling Sale and Kimbrel like eggs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit? That's legit, after Blastoise and Machamp I think Lugia was my favorite Pokemon, used to clone the fuck out of him on the silver version for Gameboy.
lugia is real tanky....lots of hp and def....attack isnt great though....in Go anyway