• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the SEC Isn't As Great in Football As You Think

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Longhorns won the 2005 BCS national championship, SEC teams have:

• Occupied more than half the slots in the BCS National Championship Game, with its teams playing in the six title games a total of seven times.

• Held a lead at the end of 16 of the last 20 quarters in the BCS title game.

• Been ranked No. 1 in the BCS standings in 26 of 48 weeks.

• Been included in the top 25 of the weekly BCS standings a total of 238 times, more than any other conference. Vanderbilt is the only SEC team which has failed to appear in the BCS standings during the last six seasons. LSU and Alabama have combined to appear in the BCS standings a total of 80 times.

• Posted an 8-2 record in BCS bowl games, more victories and a higher winning percentage than any other league. The Pac-12 is 5-3 in BCS bowl games; the Big East is 2-3; the Big 12 is 4-4; the Big Ten is 3-8; and the ACC is 1-4. Seven of the SEC's eight victories in BCS bowl games since 2006 were decided by 10 points or more.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Now just get thousands of fans to flock to Ida-fuckin-ho in late December/ early January and you’re there!

And that's the problem with crying about location bias

Shit, we have to go play for the conference championship in georgia's backyard and none of us complain about that.

I think that this all started with the taking heads and "SEC speed"
Seems to me they were realy talking about speed on the D line and deep into the depth charts, but it certainly got out of hand

At the moment, the SEC seems to be a bit better overall than the other conferences, but that's just it: right now, and a BIT better overall

It's certainly cyclical and there isn't a large gap

Everyone just relax a bit

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
map.gif

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like some stats as to this particular claim..

You know. I could actually use Stassen to do that, but it would take me a fucking millennium and you know it would. All you have to do is talk to any coach who doesn't have to pander to an SEC fanbase....and I'm talking NFL, Division 3, Division 2, FCS, High School, and they all say the same thing......travel matters. If you watch enough games, they GIVE you the road stats. Road games are hard. Period. The farther you go the harder they are. It's a fucking law of the universe that everyone except SEC fans in this particular discussion knows and accepts.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know. I could actually use Stassen to do that, but it would take me a fucking millennium and you know it would. All you have to do is talk to any coach who doesn't have to pander to an SEC fanbase....and I'm talking NFL, Division 3, Division 2, FCS, High School, and they all say the same thing......travel matters. If you watch enough games, they GIVE you the road stats. Road games are hard. Period. The farther you go the harder they are. It's a fucking law of the universe that everyone except SEC fans in this particular discussion knows and accepts.

Week to week, sure

But a lot of folks are acting like the teams show up the day before the bowl game or something...

As for teams not travellng during the season...talk to florida

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Oh you SEC fans. Big money is bad when we're talking about the big schools fighting playoffs....but it's a great excuse for not going north in the winter.

The NFL does it. Division 2 does it. Division 3 does it. FCS does it. EVERYBODY ELSE plays playoff games in the cold at the top seeded team's house. You're the only ones who play like 85% of your post season games so close to home. You're basically the only ones who can avoid playing in a completely different climate altogether. It's disgusting.

Keep pretending it doesn't matter.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think everyone is a little right, but I've been trying to tell the SEC fans that they aren't that dominant for a long time. You have fans of teams who got it handed to them in their bowl games(if they made one) chanting SEC after an SEC team wins the national championship. That's garbage. It's unbelievably stupid, in my opinion. I could try to explain why they do have an unfair advantage based on preseason and early season polling, but if they'd read the article, they would have done the math already.

Bottom line. Their best teams do seem to be better than everyone else's, even if their middle of the road teams are invariably overrated. Does tSEC deserve credit for that? FUCK no.

IMO....all of the SEC/B1G tie in bowls should be played out west. We already have a decent record against them in the post season. Why not force their teams to take on a more rigorous travel schedule for these bowls, and not let them play us on fields they've already set foot on anywhere from 2 to 30 times in their college careers. I know SEC fans want to pretend it doesn't matter......but if you take every above .500 team in the country and only count the games they had to travel over 300 miles to get to, I think you would see a below average winning %. It matters. Period. Accept it.

of course chanting SEC is stupid :D

and what bowl games do teams play at college stadiums???

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Oh you SEC fans. Big money is bad when we're talking about the big schools fighting playoffs....but it's a great excuse for not going north in the winter.

The NFL does it. Division 2 does it. Division 3 does it. FCS does it. EVERYBODY ELSE plays playoff games in the cold at the top seeded team's house. You're the only ones who play like 85% of your post season games so close to home. You're basically the only ones who can avoid playing in a completely different climate altogether. It's disgusting.

Keep pretending it doesn't matter.

The nfl is completely different and the lower divisions are probably happy to have 15-20k fans

The northern bowls just haven't done very well, not sure how that's the SEC's fault

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nfl is completely different and the lower divisions are probably happy to have 15-20k fans

The northern bowls just haven't done very well, not sure how that's the SEC's fault

ncaa (sec) fans = pussies compared to NFL fans

?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately college football is the only mega sport where "guess work" is all we really have to go by. In a year where the national champion didnt win its conference, already lost to the team it beat for the title and had a VASTLY worse resume than another 1 loss team who didnt even get a chance to play for the title I think we can all agree that opinions and guess work are the only important things in CFB because results clearly are not.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Longhorns won the 2005 BCS national championship, SEC teams have:

• Occupied more than half the slots in the BCS National Championship Game, with its teams playing in the six title games a total of seven times.

• Held a lead at the end of 16 of the last 20 quarters in the BCS title game.

Been ranked No. 1 in the BCS standings in 26 of 48 weeks.

• Been included in the top 25 of the weekly BCS standings a total of 238 times, more than any other conference. Vanderbilt is the only SEC team which has failed to appear in the BCS standings during the last six seasons. LSU and Alabama have combined to appear in the BCS standings a total of 80 times.

• Posted an 8-2 record in BCS bowl games, more victories and a higher winning percentage than any other league. The Pac-12 is 5-3 in BCS bowl games; the Big East is 2-3; the Big 12 is 4-4; the Big Ten is 3-8; and the ACC is 1-4. Seven of the SEC's eight victories in BCS bowl games since 2006 were decided by 10 points or more.

No. Alabama and LSU have been ranked #1, not the entire conference. The SEC doesn't get to share a piece of the Sears Trophy.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to go to one of those frozen ass NFL games

Tought i was going to a buffalo game a couple of years ago with the husband of a colleague's friend, but he never came through

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately college football is the only mega sport where "guess work" is all we really have to go by. In a year where the national champion didnt win its conference, already lost to the team it beat for the title and had a VASTLY worse resume than another 1 loss team who didnt even get a chance to play for the title I think we can all agree that opinions and guess work are the only important things in CFB because results clearly are not.

Fortunately, we've finally got some progress to resolve that garbage

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course chanting SEC is stupid :D

and what bowl games do teams play at college stadiums???

Remember when I said anywhere from 2 to 30 times in a college career? SEC teams never play at the Orange Bowl? Nobody plays in Jacksonville? I added 30 because I couldn't think of a case where someone played a bowl on their home turf, but I couldn't rule it out necessarily as in impossibility.... Hard to keep track of which stadium in the home state teams like LSU, Florida, and Georgia end up playing in, you know?

I didn't really question how it came to be. Wasn't the discussion. I'm saying the location matters.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all agree that the current bcs system is greatly flawed and driven by money and corruption. Hopefully a playoff system will at least partially alleviate that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Alabama and LSU have been ranked #1, not the entire conference. The SEC doesn't get to share a piece of the Sears Trophy.

Love how other sec schools like to talk shit by riding on bama and lsu's coat tails.